I Have A Question - Volume 274 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 275 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 274. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/02/2009 at 13:56

Phone video clip onto own website - how? - oilrag
How do I put a video clip onto my own website from my Samsung G600 phone and get it to play as a web link?
(I know how to get it there via FTP)
Thanks
Phone video clip onto own website - how? - Rattle
Do you have a bluetooth chip on your PC or at least a USB cable to get the video clip onto your hard drive?

Once you have done this you will need to convert the video clip into a more common video format (you can download software do this but be careful as some of them are not genuine).

What file format is the video in?

Then once you upload it you can just insert a media player object into the HTML however it will use a lot of bandwidth. You would be a lot better just uploading it to youtube and embed it that way, this is a very common way of doing it these days as it solves all sorts of hassle and might even be able to convert it for you.
Phone video clip onto own website - how? - Pugugly
Tesco sell a Bluetooth USB dongle for a tenner.
Phone video clip onto own website - how? - rtj70
I believe the Samsung phone in question has a MicroSD memory card which therefore should have come with an adapter to make it into a full SD card. If you have this (and the video is on it) and your PC has an SD Card slot then copying it will be easy.

The video format is probably 3GP but might be MP4. So likely need to be transcoded/converted into something more web surfers can use.
Phone video clip onto own website - how? - oilrag
Sorry for the late response guys, I lost touch with the thread...

I`m using Ubuntu by the way on this laptop.

Yes, I can Bluetooth the file to the laptop as I am doing now and use Fireftp to upload as with photos taken with the phone. It sounds as though the file might be too large though or the bandwidth might be a problem.

What`s the situation with UTube? safe to use - how does it make money? I tried looking into it once but gave up with the small print...

Might just stick to photos.. a brush applying grease to a sump might not be interesting...;-)

Edited by oilrag on 18/02/2009 at 13:27

Sky+ box SCART control of TV picture - BazzaBear {P}
Our TV has suddenly started selecting the wrong aspect ratio for some channels shown through the SKY+ box. I assume this is because it is receiving the wrong message from the box. Is anyone else having this issue, which might suggest SKY are messing up their signals?

If not, can anyone suggest any possible causes and fixes? It's quite annoying, because once you reset it to the right aspect, the next time there's an ad break, it does it again!
I turned off 'SCART control' on the SKY set up, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.
Sky+ box SCART control of TV picture - gordonbennet
Strewth thats a relief BB, thought our telly was showing the first signs of going on the blink last night.
Fired up telly and put sky on, and the picture came up with a huge 6" border around.
After selecting a channel all was well, but can't comment if its still there as we were finishing off the New Avengers complete series' on DVD, well i enjoyed it..;)

Just checked and all seems OK now, hopefully just a glitch..fingers crossed.
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - El Hacko
Anyone looked into which upright vacuum cleaners are the lightest to lift? Elderly neighbour needs replacement, but before I take her to "lifting test" at a Currys or wherever, appreciate any of your experiences, pse. Showed her my Dyson which is good performer, but very heavy (and noisy). She wants a good make, BTW.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2009 at 17:02

Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - FotheringtonThomas
Can't answer your q., but would observe that the hose & sucker-upper on (say) a Henry is lighter, & the things're on wheels, therefore easy to move.
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - gordonbennet
Oreck are much lighter than virtually everything else and do a good job too.

We've had one for years, you won't find them at a high st store, check on Orecks website they'll give the respective weights.

You can find them new on the usual internet sites, and we bought a second new one from them, no problems.
Nice to use too, in a new man sort of way..;)
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - Alby Back
Do you have yours fitted with blue decorative lights GB ?

;-)

(Ducks for cover and hopes large transporter doesn't "inadvertantly" side swipe him this week)
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - gordonbennet
Do you have yours fitted with blue decorative lights..

Well we went for the sort of deluxe model, not the GhiaX, and it has a headlight, so its nearly got marker lights...

Now let me remember right..04ish plate silver vectra estate, dark rear windows....largish chap similar to me greyish hair, weathered face similar too, possibly looks like a negative then, but rolling in lolly, there the similarity ends....can't be too many possibilities.;)

swmbo thinks we're all crackers..
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - madux
I have several vacuum cleaners - Dyson for the carpet, one for the stairs, one for the car, one for the pond and a workshop one with a power take-off. I never lift any of them - they sort of follow me around..........
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - Stuartli
Do you have to have the Dyson repaired quite frequently?
Do you have to have the Dyson repaired quite frequently?

It has had one service in it's life - about £30 IIRC about 10 years ago including collection and delivery. I think they renewed nearly everything except the motor. Good thing about Dysons is that they are easy to take apart and put back together.
Spares are cheap and easily available.
I bought mine when I had two Old English Sheepdogs and it was used daily.
Now I have just one small cat so it is used a lot less.
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - Nsar
>>I bought mine when I had two Old English Sheepdogs and it was used daily.
Now I have just one small cat so it is used a lot less.<<

I've always said that cats are lazy and feckless. How did you get your dogs to switch it on, mine just can't get the hang of it?
the dogs used to do decorating too
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - henry k
>>Oreck are much lighter than virtually everything else and do a good job too.
>>
The only Oreck I have examined impressed me with its incredibly thick very heavy cable. I have no idea re its vintage but I later noted the very big price.

Maybe by a second cleaner and store it up stairs thus avoiding lifting?
There are of course many many small light cleaners but they do not have rotating brushes.
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - Pugugly
Electrolux Petlover upright - much lighter than the bog standard one. Around £60.00 from Amazon.
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - L'escargot
Comet online gives the specification (including the weight) of 37 upright vacuum cleaners. Click on the image of each one and then click on "All specification features". You can also compare 4 products at a time. tinyurl.com/dx9yun
Which upright vacuum cleaners is lightest to lift? - Bromptonaut
I think the carry test may be the only answer as position of handles and balance of the carried load are more important than even quite significant differences in weight.
Dental Treatment abroad ? - Pezzer
Hi there does anybody have any experience of going abroad for Dental treatment, specifically dental implants, if so I would be interested in your experiences.
Despite being on the books of a NHS dentist I have been referred privately to replace a brige which went across my upper front 3 teeth. This was broken or more acurately one of the supporting teeth, by the back of my son's head when messing around before xmas.
I do not have dental insurance (didnt realise I needed it being on the NHS books) and I am being quoted in the region of £5.5k-£7k to replace the bridge with either 1 crown and 1 implant, or 2 implants.
When I look around on the internet there seem to be cheaper alternatives (Hungary), but I have the obvious concerns about going abroad.

Many thanks
Dental Treatment abroad ? - Alanovich
Well my Missus has had crowns done in Portugal and Serbia. Both times, the work has failed quite quickly and has had to be repaired here in the UK. On the flipside, she had an implant done here which fell out two weeks after being fitted and had to be re-done, which was quite a painful experience.

Given our experiences I think you can get good and bad everywhere. There are no guarantees.
Dental Treatment abroad ? - geoff1248
Pezzer, have a look through your household insurance and you may find that you are covered for personal injury. Worth checking out..
Smelly washing machine - smokie
From a smelly Vectra to a smelly washing machine...

It's started stinking of stale washing water, seems to be coming from inside the drum. Already cleaned the soap tray and a filter thingy at the bottom thoroughly, moved it yesterday and cleaned the outlet hose as best I could, and the pipework that goes to the drain, but the smell remains.

Any ideas?

It's a Bosch Classix 1400 SX (or something like that)
Smelly washing machine - Old Navy
Check the folds in the door seal are clean, I would do an idle wash (no clothes) with a mild bleach solution, and then a rinse cycle.
Smelly washing machine - Stuartli
Buy a pack of Soda Crystals (very inexpensive), put a quantity of the crystals in the machine and do a hot wash (without any load!)

Well known product for removing grease etc and is still used by many for washing clothes, sinks, drains etc.
Smelly washing machine - jbif
see
Smelly Washing Machine
www.washerhelp.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=43

Thanks guys, will get 'er indoors onto it tonight...
Smelly washing machine - Altea Ego
Happened to us about a year ago. A boil wash with white vinegar cured it (after i cleaned out the outlet house and pump housing - yuk! disgusting gunge) and one a month that same action keeps it at bay.
Just went for a look, I eventually found it in the utility room (the machine, that is!!)

The rubber around the door had a small amount of smelly stuff just along the bottom so I've cleaned that out - that may have been the only cause - but I also found some soda crystals so it's now doing a hot wash (I hope!)
Smelly washing machine - Armitage Shanks {p}
Maybe a dash of bleach and/or Dettol for good measure too?
Smelly washing machine - ifithelps
... Maybe a dash of bleach and/or Dettol for good measure too?..

Might they not clash? Don't want the poor lad overcome by toxic fumes, do we?

Soda crystals should do the job.
Smelly washing machine - Stuartli
The "smelly stuff" in washing machines is, more often than not, caused by liquid conditioner.

I have to remove and clean the other half's Miele washing machine's power and conditioner drawer about once a month with hot water to get rid of the slime; it builds up, especially in the channels and underneath the drawer.
Pretty sure you're right about the cause Stuart. The articles also mention that 40 degree washes all the time won't help, which is what ours does all the time.

The hot wash with soda is finished but there is still a bit of a whiff, so a second hot wash with white vinegar is under way, in line with the link jbif provided.

Smelly washing machine - L'escargot
Our washing machine's User Instructions recommends a "maintenance wash" on the cotton cycle (without clothes) at 95°C using bioligical detergent, two or three times a year.
Smelly washing machine - deepwith
As the Snail says, you need to do a maintenance wash - I do at least once a month. The worst culprit for leaving a grey, smelly and thick coating on the pipes, outlet, and elsewhere, is the detergent - hence the need for the max temp wash on a frequent basis.

I do not use conditioner, as it is very irritating for skin conditions, but still get the crud. I also find the coating is less since I invested in a washball (Lakeland do them) which I use on dark washes, which are usually the lower temperature cycles. Quite amazed st how much difference this has made to the drain.
Smelly washing machine - bathtub tom
Does the washing machine waste deposit into any other waste?

In my experience, the pong doesn't always originate from where you may think the source is.

It may be 'backing up' from somewhere else.
Smelly washing machine - L'escargot
The worst culprit for leaving a grey smelly and thick coating
on the pipes outlet and elsewhere is the detergent ..........

We recently changed to liquid detergent and the detergent drawer is now much cleaner.
Bullying in the workplace - Number_Cruncher
SWMBO is being bullied at work by her boss.

Today was the second time in recent weeks when she has returned home crying.

Having spoken with her, it's clear that he picks his time well, and makes sure that there aren't any witnesses to his behaviour. However, it's also clear that other members of staff there have also been bullied, and their previous complaints to the boss's boss have not achieved anything.

Her desired outcome would be to continue to work there, but without the fear of irrational and oppresive behaviour from her boss - she doesn't want to leave - she doesn't want to sue or to be compensated - What should she do?

Her employer is public sector, and one might imagine that if a fair outcome could be obtained, it should be possible in this case. Quite reasonably though, she fears the outcome of raising an official complaint if the complaint is not taken seriously, or acted upon tactfully.

My blood's only just stopped boiling after SWMBO told me at tea time.
Bullying in the workplace - AlastairW
I did a course on this sort of thing a year or so back. SWMBO should refer to her bosses boss if you see what I mean - proper channels have to be followed.
ACAS (www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461) supply a lot of good advice on this, as do the trade unions. Is SWMBO in the union? If so, she should contact the 'office secretary' or equivalent.
Bullying in the workplace - captain chaos
Sorry to hear of your wife being bullied, NC. Bullying is inexcusable. You say your wife works in the public sector. Is she in a union? If others have been bullied then if they all get together and approach the boss's boss or their union representative surely something must get done. I hope the unpleasant individual concerned gets their just desserts
Regards cc
Bullying in the workplace - jbif
Her employer is public sector, and one might imagine that if a fair outcome could be obtained, it should be possible in this case. Quite reasonably though, she fears the outcome of raising an official complaint if the complaint is not taken seriously, or acted upon tactfully. >>

Bully's bully precisely because they know that the victim "fears the outcome of raising an official complaint".

The TUC has excellent advice on how to tackle them.
www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_bullyatwork.cfm
www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/bullying.cfm
www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/index.cfm?mins=30

Bullying in the workplace - daveyjp
Start a diary now - backdated if possible. Dates, times (including how long the episode lasted), who was present, what was said, why it was said etc etc. Just record the facts.

Contact HR re grievance procedure and if not already a member join the Union and contact the branch office for further advice.

Immediate line managment bullies are often doing so because they are getting it from above and their coping strategy is to take their grievances out on their staff.
Bullying in the workplace - Altea Ego
the personel department or human resources is the place to go to.

Firstly so her complaint is lodged and the boss cant then start to try and get her dismissed, secondly because they will have an anti bullying policy and a nominated person to council your missus and invoke what ever bullying process they have.
Bullying in the workplace - Mapmaker
Their intranet will doubtless have procedures for bullying.

Employers do not like bullies (too much) as they put them in line for claims for constructive dismissal.
Thank you all for your very useful help, web links, and advice - it's much appreciated.

She isn't a member of any union.

A diary of events has now been written.

She is contacting the HR department to find out what their policies and procedures are prior to lodging an official complaint.

Naively, I had imagined this was a problem that was left behind at the school gates, and that if anything I would be dealing with for Number_Nipper!
Bullying in the workplace - Nsar
Sorry to hear of this. The advice you have been given looks absolutely sound and simply to add that any even half awake HR manager will find the word "bullying" a real red flag issue, so fingers crossed for the right outcome.

Hard to say for sure but sometimes an informal water cooler chat with HR before an official complaint is lodged might provoke enough action (if the manager has been associated with this kind of behaviour previoulsy).
Bullying in the workplace - FocusDriver
Number cruncher, I was bullied at my last place of work, an investment bank. I kidded myself I could handle it but there is a point at which you feel the world's against you and that you can't possibly be in the right and that all the fuss isn't worth it. I'd suggest you ask SWMBO to resist this temptation and pursue it. Ostensibly, she's done nothing wrong. All the best to you both.
Bullying in the workplace - bathtub tom
NC. You frighten me to death. I only dare to question you at the thought of of being (rightly) put in my place. SWMBO has a mighty warrior in fighting her cause.

I also work in the public sector and can only say that in my experience, the majority of managers have advanced beyond their abilities, because they don't let the job get in the way of their careers. Play the rules (read them carefully) and use them to your own advantage.

I'm currently fighting a discrimination case. I've got the rules and I don't think they've read them. ;>)
>>You frighten me to death.

I'm sorry BT - I can assure you I don't set out with that as an intention!

>>I also work in the public sector and can only say that in my experience, the majority of managers have advanced beyond their abilities, ...

I think that's exactly the case here. I don't think this man is at all strong in himself, and I don't think he has made particularly strong decisions as a manager. As mentioned higher up in the thread, I think he's passing on the pressure he feels from above him, rather than doing something more positive about it.

It's been difficult making the case to my wife that she should, if possible, take some official action over this, and eventually it was the thought of continuing to put up with it for the next N years that has galvanised her into action.

From what I've heard of this man, I can't imagine that he will put up much of a battle against the institutional systems, and HR procedures - but, what damage he will go on to cause in his little empire afterwards is a concern.

>>I'm currently fighting a discrimination case. I've got the rules and I don't think they've read them. ;>)

The best of luck to you!

Bullying in the workplace - bathtub tom
NC. Perhaps I should've been a little more cicumspect. You don't scare me so much as awe me with your obvious knowledge and experience, although it doesn't prevent me from having a little pedantic jibe occasionaly.

In my case, I've had my career and now I've got a little part-time job with the council. I feel I've got a genuine grievance, and so I'm chasing it. It doesn't matter to me if I lose my job tomorrow, so I've nothing to lose. I can see your SWMBO has probably got much more to lose, particularly in the current economic climate. My advice still stands - read the rules and play by them.
Bullying in the workplace - L'escargot
Assuming it's mental bullying, not physical bullying, I read somewhere that nobody can control your brain unless you let them. I realise it must be easier said than done and that it will obviously depend on the mental strength of the person on the receiving end.
Bullying in the workplace - L'escargot
The technique which I found successful was to just laugh at the bully and revel in the attention they were giving me. I suppose you need to be thick-skinned to do this though.
We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - L'escargot
I recently (inadvertently!) cut through our plastic-coated washing line with my hedge trimmers. I bought a new line but 'er indoors complains that its diameter is too small and that the pegs don't hold on properly. The diameter of the latest is about 3.8 mm whereas the original was about 4.5 mm and it seemed to make all the difference. I've searched high and low for a better one, but to no avail. Some lines currently available are even less than 3.8 mm.

Where can I get a plastic-coated line having a diameter of at least 4.5 mm?

Edited by L'escargot on 17/02/2009 at 10:07

We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - FotheringtonThomas
Loads of places.

tinyurl.com/d36wsq

As well as good old hardware shops, etc. You could also consider getting "ordinary" line, and *buying new pegs*!
We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - JH
L
be careful what you buy! I bought a washing line with a metal core. I thought that was a really good idea - it won't stretch. The line was duly fastened to a tree and the other end to the shed. I wasn't there to see it happen but the evidence suggests;

tree struck by lightning (neighbour claims to have seen this happen). Tree has a split down the middle and scorch marks where the lightning earthed.

no sign of the washing line!

shed went up in flames with one door blasted 20 yards down the garden!

So be careful what you fasten it to!

JH

We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - Altea Ego
Oh WOW

you could have sold tickets to that event.
We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - 007
The sprung-plastic pegs which we use (and which are commonly available from shops such as Wilkinsons) have a first grip for a thick line and then a second grip (by pushing the peg on a little further / harder) for thinner lines....no problem.

Also, for years we have had a retractable line which self-winds back into it's drum when not in use....this saves the eyesore of a line hanging doing nothing several days of the week, 52 weeks of the year!

A Google search should find one if your local hardware shop does not stock them. Just be sure that you measure the length required before you place your order as they come in several sizes. We even have a short one in our garage for use on rainy days.

HTH
We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - FotheringtonThomas
we have had a retractable line which self-winds back into it's drum
when not in use

Erm, Aldi, or Lidl, soon if not now.
We need a new Ø 4.5 mm plastic-coated washing line - legacylad
For many years I have used a dog tie out cable. Available in different lengths. Does not stretch. A large trigger hook each end. Wipes clean. Attached between 2 large hooks which are screwed into garage/house walls.
Free Sat tv question - DuncanSuperb
We've only recently moved into the age of satellite tv (what i'm saying is that i don't know much about them) and use a skybox which has a card in it giving us free-to-air channels. I've just installed a second box in another room but the box was aquired with no viewing card - the only difference to us is the lack of Ch4 and 5.

However, in looking for one on ebay there seem to be a number of variants of viewing cards including 'Cams' and 'funcards' does anyone know what these are?
Free Sat tv question - Stuartli
Why not buy a Freesat set top box (preferably High Definition) and enjoy the BBC/ITV Freesat service through your Sky dish? It's the satellite equivalent of Freeview.

Freesat itself is free and includes High Definition services (it's the only platform for ITV HD transmissions). See:

www.freesat.co.uk/

for full details including channels available.

To receive both Sky and Freesat you may have to change the dish LNB for a quad type and additional cables.
Free Sat tv question - adverse camber
cams/funcards/diablo/etc are all ways to get channels without paying for them - but mostly for foreign or 'adult' stuff on other satellites and almost certainly wont work in your skybox. Now if you had a dreambox or tm or similar....

Channel 4/+1/more4/e4/film4/etc and 5 are available free - without a card - on your existing skybox. You need to know the correct channel number though.

The satellite at 28e is used by but not owned by sky. Sky rebroadcast the c4/c5 stuff in an encrypted form, but freesat also broadcast those channels in an unencryted form. As I say you need to know the correct channel number and you wont get as detailed a program guide as you do with sky. Last time I looked there were 4 different tps listing c4 plus a couple listing a number but showing c4.

I am a bit hazy on the sky stuff because I've never had it. I'll have a look and see if I can see what channel you need to choose for c4 and 5.
Free Sat tv question - adverse camber
OK, Apparently they can be added to your list :
"Services"-> "System Setup" ->"Add channels"
enter the details and then select them by "Services"-> "Other channels"

Have a look at this page : www.lyngsat.com/28east.html which has a definative list of channels for the satellites your dish is pointing at. Everything listed under Freesat you can see. I also notice that some of the sky stuff is freely available as well. movies4men etc which seems to show nothing but old war films.

Find the channel you want eg c4 London frequency is 10714 Horizontal (1st column), sig ratio 22000, Fec 5/6 (~from the freesat row) then within that you need the sid/vpid/audio as shown in the individual row.

Sorry I cant be more exact - as I say I dont use sky.

Any digital FTA (free to air) sat receiver will pick up the freesat stuff - the advantage of the freesat branded ones is the epg. You need an HD box if you want HD channels.
Free Sat tv question - SpamCan61 {P}
Really all you need is a Sky free to view card, like eBay item # 170303559704 ( no idea if the seller is any good) In general 'free to air' means channels you can receive without a card in the digibox; 'free to view' means channels which require a card but no subscription.

If you're not already using the second box then you may well need to upgrade to a quad LNB on your dish, or is there already more than one cable from the dish?
Free Sat tv question - DuncanSuperb
I changed the LNB to a quad in anticipation of moving to sky+ at a future date - which i understand requires the dual input.

anyway thanks for the reply. I will certainly investigate AC's suggestions of seeking out the free-to-view channels.

Also it looks like i won't be goning down the funcard / cam route then. Well , not if my missus has anything to do with it anyway.

Thanks again for your replies - I consider myself informed.

D16
I changed the LNB to a quad in anticipation of moving to sky+ at a
future date - which i understand requires the dual input.

Yes, the Sky+, or equivalent Freesat box, needs two inputs so that you can watch one channel whilst recording a different one ( or two maybe). With a quad LNB you still have capacity for a second Sky+ / HD box or two 'normal' digiboxes.
Free Sat tv question - Archie35
Be careful buying sky free to view cards at the moment. According to the Digital Spy website, Sky is going to replace all its cards starting in April, and old ones will then, almost certainly, no longer function.

eg tinyurl.com/bkkor6

Free Sat tv question - smokie
These are (or at least used to be) available directly from Sky. Think I paid a tenner or two for one a few years back. Not sure what they'd cost on eBay,m but I remember it was fairly well buried in Sky's website - they would really prefer you to pay!
Yes, I tried poking around on the Sky site for FtV cards and couldn't find any info :-/
One for the ISIHAC fans - borasport20
from the Uxbrdige English Dictionary

Almoner - an expensive meal

can anybody explain ? It's the only one in the whole book I just don't get

Edited by borasport20 on 17/02/2009 at 13:46

One for the ISIHAC fans - drbe
from the Uxbrdige English Dictionary
Almoner - an expensive meal

>>

Arm an' a ...leg
One for the ISIHAC fans - Armitage Shanks {p}
Alimony? That's a very expensive meal!
One for the ISIHAC fans - borasport20
Ah.

I guess you just had to be there :-)
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - JH
Is anyone having trouble with Freeview reception from the Winter Hill transmitter? The sound volume has faded away to the point where the tv is on max volume and it's still not as loud as analogue at about 25% volume. It seems to have got worse over the last week. Digibox (Humax recorder) is showing good signal quality and about 75% signal strength.
Thanks,
JH
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - Rhubarb
Is anyone having trouble with Freeview reception from the Winter Hill transmitter? ..........

Just tried a selection of channels/MUXes and there's no problem here. Are you sure that the volume setting on your Humax has not been turned down? Failing that, try unplugging and re-inserting both ends of the SCART lead between your Humax & TV.

HTH - Andy
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I know not of this Humax. But TVs do have lots of menus and might be worthwhile checking the default audio level. The scart lead suggestion is sensible - ours was loosened by rearranging the furniture.
I don't believe the Humax has a volume setting but I'll have a furtle round the back as well as a rummage through the menus. I've already jiggled the SCARTs.
Thanks
JH
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - billy25
Is the picture quality still ok? when this started happening to our set a few years ago, sound went quiet first, followed by the picture becoming pixelated then blank a couple of days later.
Cause was found to be frost had caused the outer sheathing of the dish cable to split then water had got in and Pzzzzzzzzt!!!

Billy
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - John R @ Work {P}
JH,

Not sure of the model of Humax you have, but mine had a volume control which worked the Humax PVR not the telly. My remote looked like this one - tinyurl.com/awzlvs - shown on eBay. The Volume control is lower left, the big long round ended button, other side is the channel changer up & down.

John R

Edited by John R @ Work {P} on 18/02/2009 at 14:26

Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - John R @ Work {P}
Sorry, Tinyurl in my last post may not work... :¬(

John R
I don't believe the Humax has a volume setting .............

See: tinyurl.com/dx5nle (you might have to select the remote picture).

This is for the Humax PVR9200, the volume comtrol is the rocker on the lower LHS. If you have a PVR9150/9300 the control is in a similar position.

Andy

Thanks all, I was hoping to confess before my idiocy was pointed out! You are referring to the whopping big rocker switch on the lower left of the remote, subtly marked "volume"? The one that I never use. I'll go and stand in the corner for 30 minutes. Do you think that's long enough? :-(
JH
Nice one :-) Glad you got it sorted. Andy
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - Stuartli
Normally a television set will revert to its original sound level after being switched off and then on - it should not still be affected by another device's remote control setting.

Edited by Stuartli on 18/02/2009 at 22:48

Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - rtj70
But if the volume of the STB has been turned down the TV cannot do anything. Sounds like the volume on the Humax box was turned right down.
Winter Hill Freeview - volume? - Stuartli
the TV cannot do anything. >>

That's not what I said..:-)

I have two Freeview set top boxes with remote controls and three TVs with remote controls (one of them is an integrated digital TV) - in both cases if you switch off the TV, the original sound setting configuration is re-established if the STB remote control had been used earlier to adjust the sound level.

In the case of the integrated TV, the adjusted remote control sound setting is retained; I know that because volume level is indicated by rising or falling numerical values.

Edited by Stuartli on 19/02/2009 at 00:01

Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - L'escargot
The battery (Duracell AA) in one of our quartz carriage clocks only lasts a couple of months. Did earlier quartz clocks tend to take a higher current than a modern one?
Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - Altea Ego
Yes they did. I suggest using a high capacity rechargeable nimh AA battery.
Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - L'escargot

Not having got a recharger, it will be cheaper for me to part exchange (!) the clock for a more modern one at a charity shop. I got it from a charity shop so I might just as well take it back to the shop for them to recycle!

Edited by L'escargot on 19/02/2009 at 09:27

Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - maz64

Aren't rechargeables not very good for low current applications like this because they naturally lose charge over a few weeks?
>> Yes they did. I suggest using a high capacity rechargeable nimh AA battery.
Aren't rechargeables not very good for low current applications like this because they naturally lose

They are good for intensive useage yes, but I had a set of rechargables in my camera last used in october, and promptly took 15 shots with them last week, with no sign of being exhausted.
Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - Stuartli
I have several quartz clocks run off Ni-Cad AA rechargeable batteries (they date back to the early 1990s) and average life of these low capacity units in these timepieces is six to nine months.

FAQ on rechargeable batteries:

tinyurl.com/5hz5ef

You'll note the average discharge for Ni-MH batteries when not in use of around one per cent a day.
Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - jbif
I don't know how good.bad these are or if the claims are true:

Charger with 4 x AA Sanyo Eneloop Batteries - £8.99 delivered.
www.hotukdeals.com/item/335837/fameart-pc14-charge...2
"4 of the most highly respected Sanyo NiMH batteries with plug-in charger included. Unlike ordinary NiMH batteries, Eneloops retain around 90% of their charge after 12months. They can also be recharged upto 1000 times."

Note that the 4 batteries on their own from the same shop : "Special Price £6.99 Delivered".

So the deal with the charger included looks like a bargain.

Edited by jbif on 19/02/2009 at 10:04

Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - Stuartli
>>So the deal with the charger included looks like a bargain.>>

It depends on the length of time involved to recharge the batteries.

I paid just under £12 for a "fast" intelligent battery charger about four or five years ago and that only just about halves the normal 12-15 hours of basic battery chargers.

You can get battery chargers these days that can charge batteries up in an hour to two hours - A couple of years ago, Ray-O-Vac even offered one that achieved the feat in just 15 minutes, but was very expensive.
Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - SpamCan61 {P}
I sue a fair few Eneloops at home, they do hold their charge much better than normal NiMH, so should be OK for low current constant drain applications. If the charger linked above is the one I think it is then it is supposed to charge in 12 - 15 hours, but there is no automatic shutoff at the end of the charge period.
to two hours - A couple of years ago Ray-O-Vac even offered one that achieved
the feat in just 15 minutes but was very expensive.

And not very condusive to battery life. A small nicad charged in 15 minutes would get *very* hot