1993 1.1 air filter or cabin filter??? - noisytappets
helo... i am hoping someone can help, i have a 1993 rover metro and want to filter the air that gets sucked in from bonnet air vent so i dont have to have exhaust fumes from other cars coming inside mine.These cars have no cabin filter so i intend to buy a cabin filter for another car and cut it to fit in the box in the engine bay where the interior fan motor is. My question is if i get desperste could i use an air filter designed for the engine air intake or would it be unsafe to breathe air filtered in this manner? Obviously a cabin pollen filter would be safe but i am having trouble finding one of suitable dimensions because they tend to be the wrong shape for my square blower intake. ...many thanks for any replies

{amended typo in header}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/01/2009 at 20:50

1993 1.1 air filter or cabin filter??? - astrabob
You must make sure that all the air going into the cabin comes from outside the car, and is not coming from under the bonnet.

If you've got a problem with exhaust fumes in the car, there's a good chance that there is a leak and you are breathing air from under the bonnet.

In any case, pollen filters only filter out particulates, they don't filter out exhaust gases.
1993 1.1 air filter or cabin filter??? - noisytappets
Thanks for your reply...i will look and see if there is a rubber seal on top of the intake housing for the blower/fan motor and check its condition. If its worn it will bring in air from the engine bay i suppose and make the situation worse. I presume it should have a seal,no doubt perished by now.I do drive in a lot of heavy town traffic and am behind buses and diesels every day. Do you think a charcoal filter would filter exhaust fumes?