1995 1.4 Strange Goings On - edzio
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me, I have searched here and could not find anything related!

My car has been acting really strange, I will list the problems as there are a few!

1. The car unlocks itself, this always happens after about a day and a half of being locked! The central locking stopped working for a while and now it is back working again, I imagine this has something to do with it.

2. The dashboard lights have gone on the RPM counter, as well as almost all on the fuel and oil gauges. They were going for a while, but then all of a sudden came on, now they have failed completely.

I also have a fog light out at the moment, could that be something to do with it? I am replacing that tomorrow.

3. I have also noticed that when the engine is idle and the lights are on they flicker in power ever so slightly, not so as you would notice, just thought it might be something ele to mention. Do all cars do this? When I drive they are fine, it is just when there is no power going through the car.

What should I do about these problems as I didn't want to take it to the garage and get charged an extortionate amount of money if this is something that I can do as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
1995 1.4 Strange Goings On - mobmech
Could be wrong but quick look at problems and it all sounds voltage related.

Charging or battery problems possibly?

What to do depends on what you can do or can afford to have done versus how much you need your car on the road.

But 1st thing I would suggest is a battery check and a charging system check. Need to be sure that all is ok there before proceeding to any different problems anyway.

1995 1.4 Strange Goings On - edzio
Ok cool, how would I go about doing this?
1995 1.4 Strange Goings On - VR6
May places, including Halfords, do a free battery check. Just pop in one evening when they are not busy and they'll check your battery and charging system. Shouldn;t take more than a few mins.

If you want to clean the contacts on your battery - remove the negative connection first, then the positive. Also make sure you have any security codes for the radio handy as they may need to be out in after a battery disconnection.

Edited by VR6 on 16/01/2009 at 13:01

1995 1.4 Strange Goings On - Andrew-T
>Battery check and a charging system check

Clean up the terminals first. If they haven't moved in years there may be poor contacts.