01 1.6LX questions of spare keys - roks
Hi,

I am looking to get a spare key cut for emergency.

Is it just a matter of getting a blank key and taking it to the locksmith to cut or am I missing something.

I called one place that sells the blanks, but the lady says I need to program the key once cut. Otherwise it wont start the engine. Is this re-programing same (turn key 4 times then take out, put new key in) or something different?

I've also seen blanks on eBay, with a blue dot, which also says it has 'transponder chip' inside it. Will the re-programming working on these?

Please can someone explain to me how this works and the cheapest solution.

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 10/01/2009 at 12:18

01 1.6LX Questions of Spare Keys - mikej
Do you currently have two working keys ?

If so, then you can program a third yourself and I think it tells you how to do this in the manual - if not, you'll get that info online for sure.

If you only have one working key, then it'll be a trip to a Ford dealer to program it I'm afraid and it won't be cheap (around £100 IIRC)

The key will obviously need to be a codeable key, although I'm not sure whether it necessarily has to be a blue-tabbed one or not.
01 1.6LX Questions of Spare Keys - roks
bump....I managed buy a 3 button fob with blank key of ebay....very cheap I thought, until I read about having to have 2 working keys etc..

What are my options now? I have a new fob with blank key(which needs to be cut), will dealer just do the programming bit for a smaller fee or am I still looking at 100 quid?

I've heard some auto locksmiths do can do but should I be wary of them? Are they legit?
01 1.6LX Questions of Spare Keys - L'escargot
This website tinyurl.com/7w6b8g tells you the procedure for re-programming your new remote.

Edited by L'escargot on 08/01/2009 at 07:11

Thanks, thats what I initially thought but its not as easy as that. I think that will only work the doors, engine wont start as it does not work the immobiliser.

Found a garage who want £60 for programming the immobiliser.

Edited by roks on 10/01/2009 at 10:16

01 1.6LX Questions of Spare Keys - henry k
>>Found a garage who want £60 for programming the immobiliser.
>>
That is by far the cheapest I have seen posted on the forum.

My local Ford dealer appears to be the most expensive labour around. They charged over £80 + per hour many moons ago.
01 1.6LX Questions of Spare Keys - TurboD
The dealer price for new fob/key and programming is £130- when I paid it- , perhaps a rebate for the Brown VAT reduction, but doubt it as the price will have gone up by more.
What you don't want is have a car that won't start when you have messed it up, would cost even more, so I chickened out.
Aplerton Ford dealer, wants £115 just for programming, £180 including new fob/key.
When asked what is it that you actually do? The guy says "we have to hook up our expensive million pounds worth of kit to down/up load the key code.

Anyway, I'll keep the garage offer to hand as I'm still waiting for the key to arrive (damn postman, 13:30, no singn of him, once upon a time you could set your watch by him...08:30 shap).