Toyota Corolla - Monaro
I am looking at getting a car to travel in out here in NZ, about Astra size but due to limited budget it will be cheap. I'm not the only one doing this and there are plenty of backpackers cars in NZ floating about and I am sifting through them. I have seen some right bangers recently but one car caught my eye. It is an 85 Corolla. Seems clean inside and not too bad paintwork wise. Bearing in mind I would look to get it for $1000, (300 quid) I am being very picky. It has just had a new warrant of fitness (MOT) and has good tyres a new back box to the exhaust, and some alternator work done on it. It ticks over slightly roughly at about 600rpm on the rev counter but revs happily to the red line. The fluids are all as they should be and all the paperwork checks out although there is only receipts for the last service. The clutch bites very near the floor (had been told it has had work done on it). There is a bit of rust in a few places but this is the thing that worries me. On the tail gate (it is a 5 door liftback) there two lines along the tailgate near the roof exactly horizontal from the windscreen out. It looks like the tail gate has been made out of two separate ones (a cut and shut tailgate if you will). Not sure about whether this is a major worry - I have been put off it alot but it is cheap. I am in search of guidance from the back room. And any hints abour buying a banger welcome and appreciated.

PS. The Old Accord I asked a question about a month or so ago is running sweetly (touch wood) and seems like a damn good buy.

Paul C