Talk of another rate cut - Bill Payer
Is the point simply to persuade us not to save; that any money in banks
needs to be spent rather than hoarded? Is that the intention?

I never thought of it like that, but perhaps you're right.

I almost (seems pointless getting worked up about these things) feel angry about the VAT rate cut - what a complete and utter waste of £12.5BN.
Talk of another rate cut - oldnotbold
It's a "we must be seen to be doing something" knee-jerk reaction. In the past the accepted wisdom was that rate cuts took about six months to work their way into the economy, and this one may in fact achieve nothing, IMHO. If you can't afford the mortgage it makes no odds, as most, if not all of the cut will not be passed on to borrowers.

It only makes a real difference to companies whose loans are base rate plus X%, but they are not increasing their debt right now.
Talk of another rate cut - Pica
Well, I am sitting here pondering what to do. 50% of my purchase orders are to the Eurozone, 10% US Dollar and the rest Stirling. some of my Euro suppliers who have also had sterling accounts are closing them so this means even more bank/currency costs to pay these suppliers.

I need to increase my prices by around 40%!!!! today just to stand still. I am also going to start to offer clients a discount to pay me in Euro's.
Talk of another rate cut - movilogo
It only makes a real difference to companies

It also makes a difference to me as well as I have base rate tracker mortgage :o)

Edited by movilogo on 05/01/2009 at 11:13

Talk of another rate cut - jbif
It also makes a difference to me as well as I have base rate tracker mortgage :o)

Well I hope it does not make this kind of difference:

www.moneynews.co.uk/5927/natwest-mortgage-withdraw.../

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1104070/Nationwid...e-
cuts-bid-protect-savers.html

Edited by jbif on 05/01/2009 at 11:23

Talk of another rate cut - Happy Blue!
Being a property valuer and well as owning commercial investment property, the rater cut is of interest, but only as it ensures I get to keep more of the rent, and pay down debt quicker. However the stimulus it provides to go out and spend will take at least a year to kick in, so until then I am not spending. The rate cut will have minimal difference and is a useless act designed to look as though they are doing something.

If they simply left well alone for a while, I think things may well sort themselves out without baling out a load of rich and incompetent bankers (I know of what I speak - I deal with too many of them on a daily basis not to be angry at bank bail outs).
Talk of another rate cut - Altea Ego
> If they simply left well alone for a while

yup - its just another dip in the economic cycle. They happen about every 7 -13 years on average. Ok this one was fast to appear and its deep, but it was bound to happen sooner or later, but its not that much worse than the average - (madf will appear to tell you to build a nuclear bunker and sell your children tho) and it will clear.

Look at whats failing? Non traditional commercial banks, retailers who were risky for years, companies with large debt. Companies dont just fold, someone pulls the plug, usually a bank that is owed money and is not prepared to pump more money in.

ALL the companies that have high debt levels are at risk - nearly always due to borrowing money to finance a buy out. The stock market has found it base point below which it wont drop (about 3800 ftse) and soundly managed companies not based on huge debt will survive.,

Talk of another rate cut - smokie
Something I discovered recently is that people with over £16k savings get no "dole". Daughters, both at Uni, have recently inherited (lucky them!!) a little over this amount from grandfather. For once, they have heeded our advice and put it into savings rather than buying new cars, clothes, iPods etc, with the intention of using it as deposit for a house as soon as they can (- given the current climate this seems a good idea)

However I can see them having difficulty finding a job when they leave uni, and then having to spend their inheritance down to the £16k before the State starts to help them out.

In contrast, Mrs S's company laid off a handful of people before Christmas, one of whom was a single mother (a lifestyle choice she'd consciously made). Mrs was quite upset over it, until she found that the lady wasn't that bothered as she would be able to go straight down the council and get housing and other benefits, and didn't seem to think she'd lose out too much by not working...

While I have no real problem with the latter, it contrasts strongly with the former, where to get anything you have to have nothing. And those who have managed their finances responsibly seem to be being punished.
Talk of another rate cut - Waino
Smokie, if your daughters manage to leave uni without debt and with their £16ks intact, then they will have done brilliantly well, regardless of the degree grades that they achieve!

I'm having some difficulty in getting my head round the fact that we are being expected to save up to fund our old age/retirements at the same time as spending everything to save the economy. Those who are in debt are being encouraged to get further into debt while the sensible are being asked not to be so sensible???

I'm afraid I won't be spending my ever-devaluing pounds on a new car, though, not while the old chugging, whining, rusting Mondy can still drag me round.
those who have managed their finances responsibly seem to be being punished

If people had saved instead of spending, there would have been less money in circulated in economics. The sole purpose of rate cut is to encourage people to spend more again ie. to kick start the economy from recession.

Those who complaint about savers being punished, I like to ask them where do you think you're getting your savings interest from? The banks invest money in stocks, real estate, business so that they can get a return on investment and then they pass some part of it to savings a/c holders as "interest".

If there is no new business, banks won't earn anything - so they can't pay any interest to a/c holders.

If you want higher interest, I heard that banks in Turkey offer 20% return. Anyone willing to put money there?

I put some money in Icelanding bank a/c (lured by high interest) and you all know what happened to that bank. Fortunately, I got my money back via Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

While I understand your point about less borrowing = less money in circulation, I don't think it's in any doubt (is it?) that one of the main causes for the current situation is the ease with which credit was available, to both people and businesses, and the fact that both were allowed to over-commit themselves.

"If there is no new business, banks won't earn anything" - the banks are apparently very difficult to do business with right now, and that's based one one small businessman I know who said the bank is not providing the support he needs to keep going, and a friend who's daughter (who is a police officer earning a good regular wage) having trouble getting a not-very-high mortgage.

As for repaying people who lose because of a bad investment overseas - I really don't see the need. Still, done and dusted I suppose.
Talk of another rate cut - ohsoslow
Those who complain about savers being punished I like to ask them where do you
think you're getting your savings interest from? The banks invest money in stocks real estate
business so that they can get a return on investment and then they pass some
part of it to savings a/c holders as "interest".
Excuse my financial ignorance, as I could well have this all wrong but isn't much of the money used by the banks for their investments gathered from our savings and investments in their products? We getting a proportion of the profits that the banks / building societies make as interest.

Also, for many years we have all been encouraged to save to provide for a better retirement for ourselves.
Talk of another rate cut - ohsoslow
And those who have managed their
finances responsibly seem to be being punished.

Our many years of "prudence", (a much overused and obviously pointless word from GB), no loans apart from a mortgage, few holidays, old cars, etc etc, have got us nowhere. The interest on our fairly modest savings which we hoped would boost our pensions and help give us an earlier and more comfortable retirement is now worthless.
Talk of another rate cut - malden blue
Prudence is in fact counter productive at times

Take the example of my dear departed grandmother, to cut a long story short at the end of her life she went into a carehome, a fantastic place no problems with them at all, however she had to sell her home when her savings ran out, if she had been peniless and living in rented property she wouldnt have had to pay a penny

Where is the logic in that

Edited by malden blue on 05/01/2009 at 12:35

Talk of another rate cut - Andrew-T
>She had to sell her home when her savings ran out - Where is the logic in that ?

If your g'mother had a home to sell, she had 'savings'. It isn't logical to claim that it should be inherited by her family, when other families aren't lucky enough to do that.
So somebody who is prudent and careful, works their nuts off to buy a modest place ultimately, has it taken away to pay for care costs whereby if they had been irresponsible, smoked, gambled, drunk their money away the state would have picked it up the bill for being in the same home.

My plan will be retire, sell the house, rent a replacement one, have the time of my life (health permitting) spending my money on cars, holidays, women, rock and roll and if I need to go into a care home I hope the money is spent by then.
Talk of another rate cut - Pendlebury
That's correct Pica - welcome to the UK.
The only bit you forgot is that having worked hard yourself and saved a few quid, your kids will now need to go deep into debt if they decide to do well for themselves and go to University. Where as the drunks and layabouts on benefits - their kids will get it all free because you have some money and the others don't. And that is at the heart of what is wrong with this country and government. We reward failure and penalise success. I am all in favour of paying a bit more tax for the needy if I earn a good wage but there is no logic in how it works in the UK at the moment.
I wouldn't dispute that there are many who cannot afford to save/buy their own place etc.

But there are also many who have a "spend spend spend" attitude on the strength that someone else will take care of them when they need it, and are quite happy to rack up unserviceable levels of debt, playing credit cards off against one another etc.

So someone who chose to be a saver rather than a spender effectively gets punished. OK, now I see it, the savers are the fools, but it hardly seems fair...

EDIT: I'm just a slower typist than Pica. The rock 'n' roll years are just about to begin :-)

Edited by smokie on 05/01/2009 at 17:40

>> It only makes a real difference to companies
It also makes a difference to me as well as I have base rate tracker
mortgage :o)

No it doesent.

There is a threshold level on interest paid to loans whereby if the rate fall belows that level - no money is made on that loan. its about 3.5 to 4%. Below that you make a loss - In any market at any time let alone now.

So your tracker will have a threshold level in the small print, below which it wont fall. Failing that there will a "repay all the capital now or we tear up the mortgage and sell the house - tough" clause.

Once base rates get to 3-4% dropping below that does nothing for the consumer, specially with the interbank rate higher than that.
Many tracker mortgages have a collar, or lower rate limit, but the legality of these may soon be tested:

tinyurl.com/8jvtcd
Talk of another rate cut - hxj
>>So your tracker will have a threshold level in the small print, below which it wont fall. Failing that there will a "repay all the capital now or we tear up the mortgage and sell the house - tough" clause.

Not on mine there isn't, either clause that is.

... Not on mine there isn't, either clause that is.

Are you one of the minority exceptions ["almost every mortgage"] referred to in the case I linked to earlier, where:
" ... Peter and Marian Addyman, who live in St Leonards, East Sussex, received a letter this month from NatWest ? part of the Royal Bank of Scotland, which is majority-owned by the Government ? insisting that they repay a £226,000 mortgage within 30 days or face repossession.
The couple, who have never failed to make a mortgage repayment, bought their new-build five-bedroom property for £250,000 in 2004. When their initial mortgage deal expired at the beginning of the year, they took out an interest-only tracker loan at 0.04 per cent above the Bank of England base rate.
Their local MP, Michael Foster, who has twice written to the bank to request an explanation, said of the mortgage: ?The bank are obviously not making any money out of it but they agreed it.?
The Council of Mortgage Lenders said that the clause allowing lenders to demand that a mortgage be repaid at short notice existed in the small print of almost every mortgage in Britain, although it was meant to cover only exceptional circumstances. This month a judge supported the right of lenders to repossess properties at will under a law dating back to 1925. .... "

Edited by jbif on 05/01/2009 at 20:45

Talk of another rate cut - rtj70
jbif

There is more to this case than you report. So tread carefully or this part of the thread is pulled.
Talk of another rate cut - whoopwhoop
So your tracker will have a threshold level in the small print below which it
wont fall.

Said with such authority and certainty that one could be forgiven for thinking you knew what you were talking about Ego ;-)

Mine doesn't.

I pay Base +1%.

No cap

No threshold

No lock-ins

No fees.

Currently paying 3% and looking forward to lopping another 1% off that in the days to come!

Standard off-the-shelf "HomeBuyer mortgage" from HSBC.

www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_1_5_S5/content/uk/pdfs/en/rece...u

Edited by whoopwhoop on 06/01/2009 at 14:13

Talk of another rate cut - daveyjp
Ours is a 0.75% above base for life.

It has a minimum rate applicable to the mortgage of 1%, so we are only out of pocket once rates go below 0.25%.

We've had our tracker mortgage for quite a good number of years - we took it out when rates were at 3%, so banks were probably quite lax on the small print as they probably thought "the only way is up".

Trackers have become more popular and the small print has become more extensive as a result.
Talk of another rate cut - Mr X
And if we don't hoard our money, how will we pay our increased council tax for 2009, our increased water bills, our increased energy bills, find the extra 2p a litre plus vat for Aprils fuel increases, pay our increased National Insurance contributions...

Who is really going to set off and buy a new or even a used motor in this current predicament ?
Sorry HJ but it looks like you might have to do a bit of selling from home via the Auto Trader.
Talk of another rate cut - L'escargot
Our household runs on the premise that our spending is governed by our nett income. Therefore, unless the government increases our nett income by, for example, increasing our state pension or reducing our income tax we won't be able to spend more. If prices fell, particularly food prices, we could buy more items but our total expenditure wouldn't increase. It rather looks as if there isn't anything we can do to help the economy.
Talk of another rate cut - MVP
The biggest problem the economy has at the moment is that the banks are under capitalised.

By cutting base rates, the government allows the banks to make more profit and improve their capital ratios, that in turn will allow them to start lending again, which should hopefully kick-start the economy.

Hown owners saving a few quid on their mortgages is just a side benefit

MVP
By cutting base rates the government allows the banks to make more profit and

err no. lower rates means LESS bank profits. Which is why the banks are not passing them on. Rate cuts is not the answer.

There are two ways out of this.

Let things happen naturally, - takes a while tho.

The fast way is:
Large capital projects spending. New railways, roads, bridges, powerstations, social housing, infrastructure. Costs money yes but alas he has thown money away on vat rate cuts, and other frivolous matters.

Japan had zero interest rates for 10 years and that still didnt work, they only climbed out of recession recently (after a similar property boom&bust to that we have experienced here in the uk)

Sterlings decline merely reflects what foreign investors think of the prospects for the British economy dont let them kid you its because our interest rates are now a few percentage points below the eurozone
"Well, I am sitting here pondering what to do. 50% of my purchase orders are to the Eurozone, 10% US Dollar and the rest Stirling. some of my Euro suppliers who have also had sterling accounts are closing them so this means even more bank/currency costs to pay these suppliers."

Offer your Eurozone customers a Euro-price list. Perhaps a bit late now, but if you had done so when it was at £1 = ?1.47.....
Talk of another rate cut - Chris M
Presumably this thread is being allowed to run because of who the OP is?

Presumably this thread is being allowed to run because of who the OP is?

I think the OP may have said something like this on previous occasions, "Its my ball and I set the rules. If you don't like it, go play elsewhere with someone else's ball."

Its a valid thread because its the underlying cause of the parlous state of the motoring industry.
Talk of another rate cut - Chris M
I'm not saying the thread is invalid. Lots of well made comments and it hasn't deteriorated into a slanging match - yet.
Point is, it wouldn't have been allowed to run if HJ wasn't the OP. But the world isn't a fair place anyway ;-)
Point is, it wouldn't have been allowed to run if HJ wasn't the OP

There are a few other similar threads that have been running [i.e. not yet locked] over the last few months, where HJ was not the OP.

Talk of another rate cut - Brit_in_Germany
The UK based mass market manufacturers must be rubbing their hands in glee though - the exports of MINIs Nissans and Hondas should be earning a good profit.
Talk of another rate cut - BobbyG
I wouldn't call myself religious but I had to agree with the group of bishops who released a statement at Xmas time against the Government.

What they were basically saying is the Govt is wrong to tell everyone to spend their way out the recession but instead, should be spreading the message that you can't always get what you want!

Too many people rely on credit to give them a lifestyle that they can't really afford, to keep up with the neighbours because of the materialistic society we live in. A perfect example of this is I have recently been looking into the pros and cons of Plasma / LCD tvs. Through doing this I have increased my knowledge drastically and over the Festive period, through visiting family and friends I have paid attention to what TVS they have and why!
In almost every case, they bought it cos it looked good, and one wanted her neighbours to be able to see it on her living room wall when they drove past! Not one of them had a good contrast ratio etc etc that would make them any better than the TV they had before!

I suppose with many of us this may also be directed at cars and why we purchase them. Is it for appearance, for the latest registration number?

Finally, my last rant on the subject, for years we have heard of rip-off Britain. In summer I was in France, where we have always traditionally marvelled at all the cheap prices and variety of items that we could get at the Hypermarkets. This year they were dearer and sold very little that you wouldn't get in a Tesco Extra over here. Now we are seeing, as AE said above, companies going to the wall which were not making profits and being kept afloat through credit which banks are no longer willing to offer.

Its maybe time that "rip-off Britain" became "Reality Britain" and woke up to the fact that things cannot go on. Yes, as a consumer you can buy a T-shirt for £1 now in the supermarkets and Primarks of the world, but where are they being made? What production is happening in Britain now? A litre of petrol is about 90p, a 500ml bottle of Coca-Cola is 88p in my supermarket? Which ones the rip-off?

This current recession will hopefully weed out a few property dealers who, by their actions, have artificially pushed up prices, values and homeowners debts. We will also see countless businesses and factories close. However, with Woolworths going to the wall, I see that as the definite end to the town centre High St. I can think of a few Woolies near me which were the only brand name on the High St and it was believed that they attracted local businesses to adjacent units. Whether they survive, I don't know. But the winners out of all this will be the Supermarket Retailers. Yes their figures might be poorer just now but by summer they will have more of a Monopoly than they have ever done.
Talk of another rate cut - Snakey
Cutting the rate further seems futile when a lot of banks and BSs are collaring the rates anyway (mine is collared at 3% currently)

Dropping the VAT and the pathetic 'holiday' on stamp duty are a waste of time. They'll not stimulate any market.

Abolishing stamp duty under £500k and taking the 5% VAT off fuel (i.e gas/electric) and reducing the VAT on petrol etc might encourage a bit of spending - not silly soundbite half measures.
Untill they slash public spending and get a balanced budget its all immaterial

.*********
Talk of another rate cut - Red Baron
Due to the rate cutting so far, my mortgage payments have reduced by £164 per month. Its a tracker that currently stands at 2.27 per cent!

So, practically, that is 164 quid extra that I might (!) spend in the shops or getting a bit of the car fixed that might otherwise have waited till another time.
Due to the rate cutting so far my mortgage payments have reduced by £164 per
month.

So practically that is 164 quid extra that I might (!) spend in the shops

I personally would increase my mortgage repayments by £164 per month, and pay it off quicker.
Talk of another rate cut - nick
This year will be a good time to get into shares. In every recession/depression, including the big pre-war crash, the stock market regained 80% of the pre-crash value within 18-24 months. Everyone focuses on the x years it took to get back to where it was. Pick sound companies with little debt in the right sectors and it's almost a one-way bet.
I agree with nick - especially as the herd will be moving in the other direction - always a sure sign things are turning a corner - just be careful what shares you pick.
Or you all have face like my kids when they opened their woollies vouchers on Christmas morning. (Sorry guys - I know it has done the rounds but....)
should be spreading the message that you can't always get what you want!

Then people can't buy Jaguar, Aston Martin etc. and tax payers need to bail out these manufacturers.

We lose both ways!

Talk of another rate cut - colinh
"..The UK based mass market manufacturers must be rubbing their hands in glee though - the exports of MINIs Nissans and Hondas should be earning a good profit..."

The UK-based "assemblers" are having to import a large percentage of their parts from abroad - so I imagine it's a zero-sum game.
Talk of another rate cut - Fullchat
We all know that these are short term measures and that sooner rather than later the government will do its best to claw back the money.

What we need are long term commitments from the government. Public spending, waste and squandering tackling immediately.

Until that time there will be no confidence and people will be keeping their money in the bank.

Its strange that overspending got us into this mess in the first place and yet the government is trying to get us to spend our way out of it. I know that is rather a simplistic view but that is how it appears.
Not simplistic at all fullchat

The government is in a strange position re the banks too, trying to lay the blame for all the countries woes on the banks reckless behaviour, too much lending, not enough saving, yet they are also strong arming them into lending again at 07 levels

Besides which any govt that runs a 20% budget deficit is in hardly the position to criticise others on how they run things :-)
Talk of another rate cut - tawse
Brown is still obssessed with saving the 1 million bad mortgages, either people who have been greedy trying to flip houses or people who have been greedy with buy-to-let, but he does not yet seem to have cottoned on to the fact that 10 million prudent savers are now being punished to help the feckless and the greedy. The prudent savers are also from a demographic more likely to turn out to vote.

Brown seems to think that by saving the 1 million greedy bad mortgage holders that he will somehow stay in No. 10. When the history of this depression is written I think this particular move will go down as one of the fundamental mistakes that actually worsened and prolonged the recession.

Of course, by trying to focus everything on house prices Brown thinks he can get away with blaming all the problems on the US subprime housing market even though the 9 or 10 times mortgages our banks have been lending out, the interest only mortgages and the buy-to-let pyramids have forced up our house prices to unsustainable levels and now - POP!

I notice in another paper that shall remain nameless that Professor Andrew Oswald has an interesting article today. He is an Economics Professor of some note and he says today that 2009 is going to be a really bad year for anyone associated with the car industry. He has his own website and his article on the 'economics' of happiness is well worth a read.
Brown is still obssessed with saving the 1 million bad mortgages

If people can't repay their mortgages, their homes will be re-possessed.
These people will then need to be provided with social/council housing!
But government don't have enough houses for them!

So McBroon is determined to prevent this. That's the reason you see rules like banks can't repossess for 2 years at least etc. there is a caveat in this rule that if you have more than £16k savings, you won't be eligible for it. And in this rule, you can defer INTEREST for 2 years - so you'll still be paying principle.

Note that it will only benefit those people who took interest only mortgage (and can't even pay this back)

The number of these people are quite high compared to "sensible" people who lived within their means and did not borrow money for everything. But number of these sensible people are much less compared to other category.

When voting time comes, the result will be determined by these non-sensible people.

So, why do you think savers will be rewarded?

To be fair, many people will be unable to pay their mortgage due to the loss of their job

In times of growth and with a healthy property market those people would normally be able to sell and downsize or rent

We now have that horrible situation where you cannot sell your home even if you want to, I feel very sorry for them it must be almost the worst thing imaginable the bailiffs turning up and being kicked out of your house and home
Yep, the coming year will be nasty for a great many people. It is going to be miserable for many and will cause a tremendous amount of heartache and misery.

Because, simply, the prudent savers outnumber the feckless borrowers by 10 to 1 and this has been shown repeatedly by numerous economists appearing on TV and Radio in the past fortnight, by the banks own figures and by business journalists who have looked at the figures.

It is not me. It is all the above.

Of course, you might live in some conspiracy World where you do not believe countless people saying the same thing but I don't so I read, I listen, I watch and then I make up my own mind.

Even Saint Vincent of Cable has finally twigged and hence the Libs have down a complete 180 degree turn in the past week, are no longer talking about saving bad debt mortgagees or trying to keep up house prices, and are now constantly talking about the importance of looking after the savers.

Increasingly,Labour MPs are saying the same thing as they realise, after seeing the info for themselves, that there are more votes in savers than in the feckless for the very simple reason that, ahem, there are more savers who have been prudent than there have been people buying houses they cannot afford on mortgages they cannot afford and then MEWing to buy the big cars, the holidays, the electronic goods and even the wife's boob jobs!

Hence why this morning Cameron has announced plans not to tax savings any more for 20% tax payers - he has announced this because there are votes in it and there are more votes in looking after the savers than looking after the feckless in debt. Yes, I know that I am repeating myself but I just feel I should - at the end of the day all politicians look to where the votes are and, as I said, there is a big swing now in all 3 main parties towards the interests of the savers for the reason already mentioned - VOTES!

The penny has dropped with Cable, the Lib Dems, Cameron, the Tories, slightly brighter Labour types, many of the World's top economists and even some not so dim business journos who aren't towing Brown's line. Heck, The Telegraph has had several articles pointing this out in recent weeks and was ahead of the curve leading where others are now following.

Of course, you can continue to argue against all the above or just believe that you are right and that ALL of the above are wrong but, heck, you can have that conversation with yourself :-)
Talk of another rate cut - oldtoffee
>>Yep, the coming year will be nasty for a great many people. It is going to be miserable for many and will cause a tremendous amount of heartache and misery.

I agree and when Brown's not so cunningly thought out plans fail to deliver anything remotely resembling a bottoming out let alone a turn around of the situation then all that heartache and misery could well manifest itself in some serious un-British like civil unrest. How many people will have to be made redundant or be kicked out of their homes before it boils over? When it does, it won't take much to trigger it, 10p on a litre of fuel, personal tax thresholds altered, MPs pay rise or dodgy holiday abroad at the home of CEO of rescued bank or car manufacturer. First was Greece, who's next?

I think that is why the tories are being fairly quiet although I do like their latest proposal on cutting savings tax for basic tax payers. I think they are quiet as this will come home soon to haunt Darling and Brown having wasted £12,5Bn on a VAT reduction. None of what the government is doing is having an impact because they are doing it all wrong IMO. Getting into debt has caused this problem and Brown's way out is to get even deeper into debt. Unfortunately he is now telling the banks to lend more although behind closed doors he has told them all to return to profit quickly so he can offload our shares. The Banking seniors are public enemy number 1 at the moment but even I can understand them over lending. That is the thing with Brown and his cheap clichés - he is doing everything to be fair to Britain's hard working families - after fleecing us for 10 years and also telling the banks to milk us for as much profit as they can so he can sell the shares and tell us all his grand plan has worked.
Interest rate reductions are proving to be a complete waste of time. They can reduce them to zero if they like but the banks and building societies will use it as an opportunity to profit from us although I do not know what the LIBOR rate is at the moment. I guess it is still high as the Banks all see themselves as high risk.
You also have to remember (and good luck to those on trackers although they will not lower them any more than current rates) that not long ago Brown was urging people to fix their mortgages - so what does he want people to do ????? I really need some help in understanding him please.
With all this financial doom and gloom though if it interests anyone, I have just taken ownership of a Citi Bank Shell credit card that offers 3% cashback (well - in the form of Shell petrol vouchers) on Shell fuel purchases and 1% on everything else. It pays double for the first 60 days. I am not a financial advisor but by using this for monthly expenditure - food and fuel etc and paying it off each month I am building up a tidy sum of Shell fuel vouchers. As someone once said - every little helps.
Talk of another rate cut - mss1tw
The governments approach reminds me of a scene from The Simpsons when Homer, Chief Wiggum and others are stuck in a hole.

"How are we going to get out of here?"
"We'll DIG ourselves out!"
"Great idea!"

"No no dig UP, stupid!"

Childish maybe but that really is the mental image I have! :-)
LOL :)))))
Talk of another rate cut - oldtoffee
>>I am not a financial advisor but by using this for monthly expenditure - food and fuel etc and paying it off each month I am building up a tidy sum of Shell fuel vouchers

I took out a Sainsburys credit card - 0% for first 12 months on Sainsburys food and fuel. I just pay the minimum amount and each month whatever the statement total is I stick into Premium Bonds. I didn't see the point in leaving it in the bank earning diddly squat interest and don't want the risk (even though it might be a good time) of putting it in ISAs or shares. I'll cash in the bonds at the end of the interest free period and with the regular and lucrative winnings I'll be quids in ;-)
That is a good idea as well to use 0% in this way - I genuinely hope you get the jackpot as well Neil.

Remember how nice I have just been to you if you do though !!!!!!!!!!! :-)
........... taking the 5% VAT off fuel (i.e gas/electric)

What about the VAT on heating oil? Lots of people don't have gas.
Talk of another rate cut - freakybacon
5% vat on fuel is the lowest rate the european union will allow, and as such cannot be removed.