00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - Silverster
Hello all,

I have recently been reading the article on the EGU failuers and thank goodness it has solved a problem i've had for four years.

Since fixing this fault i have a new one that i was wondering if anyone knew what the problem could be and how to fix it?

The problem is that whilst driving in the rain twice now the car has shuddered a few times, then there was a loss of power then the engine stops.

On lifting the bonnet and restarting the car i noticed that a spark was travelling from the top of the ignition coil (Replaced only two months ago) and the rocker cover. I feel that it was doing this rather than moving down to the ht leads then spark plugs.

A quick spray of WD40 in that area and that solved the problem, until it rained again.

Please help?

Anthony

Edited by Webmaster on 01/01/2009 at 00:39

00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - sierraman
This is called tracking,it would appear moisture is geting onto the coil,if you can find out how and prevent it htat would help.Make sure the boot of the HT lead is making a good seal on top of the coil.If all else fails get a can of ignition sealer,it does what it says on the tin.
00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - jc2
Get a new set of leads as well.I had a similar problem on a Fiat-yes,you can muck about temporarily but the permanent cure was new leads and absolute cleanliness around the top of the coil,distributor and plugs.
00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - Silverster
Thanks

i'll try that.

00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - Altea Ego
yes your leads and rubber boots have hairline cracks or tracks that is letting the sparks out. new ones will fix it.
00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - topbloke
excessive plug gaps can also be a contributing factor !!! go on give it a xmass treat
00 1.6 Sparks from my ignition coil - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Did you fit a genuine vauxhall coil pack or a cheaper pattern part (powertrain/intermotor). The internal insulation is breaking down possibly due to a high resistance lead or faulty plug. Suggest fit new (genuine) lead set, I know they aren't cheap, clean and dry the coil towers and fit a new set of plugs. If the tracking continues then the coil is at fault.