PCV licence requirements - bathtub tom
My employer gave me an old 12-seat minibus to use today as a van. Something niggled, so I checked the DVLA site to see if I was legal.

'If you had entitlement to drive cars prior to 1 January 1997 you can drive a minibus provided you are 21 or over and the minibus has a maximum of 17 seats including the driver's seat and is not being used for hire or reward.
To drive a minibus which has nine or more passenger seats for hire or reward you will normally need passenger carrying vehicle entitlement (PCV).'

I passed my test back in 196?
My licence dates back to 1977. It's a green paper (D33 Rev May/77) variety covering me to drive groups A, D, E.

I wasn't carrying any passengers, but I was being paid. Does that mean I was being hired or rewarded?

What's my legal position?
PCV licence requirements - Fullchat
You need a D1 entitlement on your licence. You should have it under 'Grandad rights'.
As for 'hire and reward'. If your employer is paying you as normal wages and you are ferrying non paying staff around that's ok. If however they are paying to be driven even if its a £5 for juice then that is construed as 'hire or reward'.

Edited by Fullchat on 16/12/2008 at 22:45

PCV licence requirements - rtj70
bathtub tom says use as a van.

Edit: My licence from 1994 has D1 on it.

Edited by rtj70 on 16/12/2008 at 22:50

PCV licence requirements - rtj70
"I passed my test back in 196?"

Was it 1976, 1987 or 1996? I suspect your licence was from before 1997 and therefore you must be okay???