My commute's fine - how's yours? - ifithelps
A 150 mile round trip commute was mentioned in a recent thread.

Couldn't think of a reply to that, other than comiserations.

But it set me wondering what sort of journeys to work we all undertake.

Mine is 10/11 miles in the car in light traffic followed by a 10-minute park and ride bus journey, and a short walk to the office.

Door-to-door in under 45 minutes, and it's reliable because we don't really do traffic jams here in the North East.

Overall, it's far from unpleasant, even at this time of year.

What's your commute like?
My commute's fine - how's yours? - DP
I work in one of two offices. One is 25 miles away, the other is 35 (plus a 10 mile or so Tube journey)

Traffic is generally hateful (M3/M25). The 25 mile commute ranges from 35 minutes (school hols and Friday mornings) to my current record set a fortnight ago of 2hrs 10 mins.

The 35 miler typically takes 45-90 mins, although it doesn't take much to push it over 2 hrs.

You get used to it.

My commute's fine - how's yours? - Big Bad Dave
About 7 metres but made more difficult by having to step down onto the the staircase landing then step up into my studio.

However, I have to take the kids to school about 7 miles away and 40 minutes round trip otherwise I'd never get dressed.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Mapmaker
I have 10 minute amble to the tube station, pick up a Telegraph on the way. Get on at the terminus, so always have a seat, 10-12 minutes to read the paper including waiting for the tube to leave, 8 minutes at the other end to turning my computer on.

Lovely commute.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Zub
I commute from Scotland to Norfolk twice a week, about 400 miles each way. Go down to Norfolk on Sunday afternoon, come back to Scotland on a Friday evening. Best driving time was 6h 39m. Average 45mpg.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Alby Back
Sublime and ridiculous in my case. Some days like BBD it is only a matter of yards to my home office. Others it can be anywhere in the UK or Europe. Must get a proper job......
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Bill Payer
I work from home too, but I generally take my wife into work 3 days per week - it's a 10 mile round trip and takes 30mins.

I've really noticed how the route has got busier in the last few weeks after being pretty quiet all year - maybe it's extra Christmas staff travelling? We tend to leave pretty early so traffic is busy but moving but by the time I get back home taffic can be queued all the way back from town (Chester) past our village.

For my job I could really do with being in the South East but hear frequent horror stories from colleagues. We can go to meeting down there and I'll get home before they do sometimes.

Edited by Bill Payer on 10/12/2008 at 10:16

My commute's fine - how's yours? - woodster
15 miles rural roads. The worst aspect being dodging increasing number of Deer, particularly in the dark. Pigeon and Rabbit strikes unavoidable sometimes I'm afraid and I've had two largish bills courtesy of Badgers, which are also on the increase. Goes with the territory where I am. The roads are fun though!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Altea Ego
Monday: Bed to breakfast table, Breakfast table to office. (and Return) 10 yards
Tuesday: Home to local office, 12 minutes by car, local office to home 20 minutes by car.
Wednesday: Walk to station, 10 mins, train to waterloo 38 mins, walk to office 10 minutes (and return)
Thursday: Home to warwick 100 miles two hours, warwick to nottingham 50 miles 1 hour.
Friday: Nottingham - home 150 miles 4 hours
So you don't go home on Thursday evenings RF?

What are you up to you old fox?

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.
So you don't go home on Thursday evenings RF?

Not this week.

Sometimes its Wed & Thurs away.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - ohsoslow
Much as BB Dave, 10 steps from the breakfast table to my office. I have to negotiate two doors and often a badly parked dobermann who insists on laying across a doorway.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - captain chaos
...and often a badly parked dobermann who insists on laying across
a doorway.

So no getting away from the junction blockers even working from home then ;-)
My commute's fine - how's yours? - ohsoslow
My canine equivalent of a BMW I suppose!:-)
My commute's fine - how's yours? - maz64
As someone with a 150 approx round trip commute between Reading and Bath, I would say thanks for your sympathy but actually it's pretty good, for the following reasons:

1. It's only Monday/Wednesday/Friday, working at home the other 2 days.
2. The Intercity125 train service between Reading and Bath is good. Tickets in advance currently cost £22.90, which works out at about 15p per mile with very little stress and no wear and tear on the car. Trains are only busy between Chippenham and Bath, and I've always found a seat.
3. I work on the train; it's not wasted time, and it passes quite quickly. (Although I can just nod off if I want to.)
4. I cycle the 4 miles between home and Reading station. I used to be a bit of a fitness nut, and although now older and wiser(?), I enjoy the exercise/competition. Alternatively (very rarely) I can take a connecting train for an extra 50p with a one mile walk.
5. It's a very pleasant less than one mile walk from Bath station to the office, either through the town centre, or alongside the Avon tinyurl.com/64sk8d

For the 20 years before starting this job I'd only ever walked, cycled or run to work, so I was a bit nervous about taking on a commute of this distance. But after 2 years I'm still quite enjoying it.

F
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Happy Blue!
On the days that I go straight to the office rather than go from home to my first appointment, it is a 3.5 mile drive through some urban traffic, but then I skirt Manchester City Centre, rather than go in and out. On good days it can be 10 minutes and even on bad days no more than 20 minutes. It is handy that my children's school is effectively on the way, so I drop them off a few times each week.

Going home is worse, but in the great scheme of things, unless there is total gridlock (it has happened), I can leave the office at 5:15pm and be home by 5:45. It has taken an hour and on one occasion, I simply parked the car up and walked home, collecting the car later that evening.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
24 miles of rural A roads and usually takes 35/40minutes.
Mostly through the Peak District National Park to Buxton and the weather can be lovely or grim depending on the time of year. Traffic is becoming gradually heavier and overtaking virtually a waste of time these days.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 10/12/2008 at 11:31

My commute's fine - how's yours? - AshT
30 miles each way over the Mendips - varies from a very pleasant drive on those rare Summer evenings when the traffic's light to journeys like last night's with heavy traffic, ice on the roads, and an accident in Burrington Coombe (not involving me).
It usually takes between 45 minutes and an hour, but has taken over 2 hours in the past. I've been doing it for 7 years now, and am now looking for a job nearer home.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Alanovich
8 miles from north west Reading to south east Reading, via Sonning Bridge (a single file, traffic light controlled antique across the Thames for those who don't know the area). It's 4 miles as the crow flies, and I would cycle the much more direct route available to cyclists along the Thames path were I not to have to drop 2 small children off at nursery on the way, and were the weather not utterly unspeakable most of the time. I am thinking of getting a folding bike and sticking it in the boot though, and cycling from the nursery on nice days.

Good day, takes 25 minutes. Bad day, 45. I have noticed recently, however, much lighter traffic across Sonning Bridge both mornings and evenings. Previously it would always be a 15 minute wait either side during school term time, but for the last 2 months I seem to fly over without any hold ups. I have no idea why this is after 10-odd years of driving across this bridge in peak times on commutes to various different workplaces. Can't be the price of fuel now it has come back down again. A mystery. But a welcome one. Like the throttle response improving markedly on my Fiat Stilo JTD after installing a new battery yesterday.

I know we have one Sonning resident on this forum - any ideas why this has happened recently?
My commute's fine - how's yours? - R75
About 15 yds is all it takes me, down the stairs out the back door and down to my office at the bottom of the garden, used to be closer but SWMBO said that our 2 kids could not share a bedroom and so I had to relocate my office from our once spare bedroom to a cabin built at the bottom of the garden!!

Thankfully I gave up commuting in a car a few years ago, far too much time was wasted on the M25 going between Reading and Walthamstow. As I used to get paid from the minute I left the house in the morning there were days I never even made it to the contract I was working on, and other days when I would only be there for an hour or less before turning round for my return journey. Working hours were strictly controlled and no overtime paid, so a 7hr 18minute day was all I was allowed to do!!!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - RichardW
30 miles from Lanark to Grangemouth on mixed A roads. Usually takes 50 mins. I quite enjoy it, and mostly find the driving relaxing - jams are rare. There are some downsides:

1. This time of year, only coming home on Fridays (lunch time) is in the light, which gets a but wearing.
2. A recent preponderance of people driving at 30/35 mph. Get OUT of my way!
3. The stupid level crossing on the West Coast Main line at the back of Lanark that is now controlled by a vindictive signal man in Motherwell - not unknown to wait 10 minutes between trains!
4. The price of diesel pushing the cost of a trip to up around £7.50 earlier in the year
5. 15,000 miles a year commuting, plus 10k personal use takes it toll on cars!

It's more than made up by:

1. The views to the highlands / Ochil hills on clear days - stunning.
2. The 2 weeks a year where the sun is just coming up over the Pentlands as I leave Lanark, usually over slightly misty ground - makes you want to stop and stare. One day I wil remember the camera, and get 'the' photo!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - madf
My commute is 10 metres to the study.

>controlled by a vindictive signal man in Motherwell - not unknown to wait 10 minutes >between trains!

His pay is carp, so that's the only pleasure he gets from his job, be content you made someone very happy.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Snakey
Door-to-door in under 45 minutes and it's reliable because we don't really do traffic jams
here in the North East.

I take it you don't go anywhere Newcastle (Tyne bridge) or the Tyne Tunnel then!

My commute involves either of those as a way of crossing the Tyne and involves 30 minutes just get across, plus extra at each side!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - GroovyMucker
Door-to-door in under 45 minutes and it's reliable because we don't really do traffic
jams here in the North East.
I take it you don't go anywhere Newcastle (Tyne bridge) or the Tyne Tunnel then!

Go South, young man!

The Tyne crossings are why I'd never willingly work in Newcastle.

Me: 25 miles, usually about 40 mins. Either motorway plus dual carriageways (this time of year) or rural A- and B-roads.

Lot of homeworkers in the Back Room aren't there?

Or maybe it's just homeworkers wanting to gloat at us traditional commuters.

My commute doesn't take in Newcastle or the A1(M) Gateshead bypass whch is where most of the traffic in this area is concentrated.

Worked in London years ago - it was the unpredictability of the journey times that got to me more than the journeys themselves.

And thanks to RichardW for his "vindictive signalman in Motherwell" - the thread's worth reading for that line alone.

My commute's fine - how's yours? - Rattle
I don't have one but I use what ever means of transport is less hassle:-

In order of preference

- Train
- Walk
- Car
- Tram
- Bus
- Ship
- Plane

If I am going to town I will use the bus without even thinking of it, any where else depending on how easy it is to get to I will drive. Longer journeys I get the train. My journey today involved a car, bus and tram.

My commute's fine - how's yours? - seasiders rock
the joys of working nights, i cover 2 sites, blackpool airport which is aprox 1.5 miles away. takes me about 5 mins at 22 50 hours. the second is kirkham 7 miles from blackpool.
one set of lights and 4 roundabouts. most of it is on the m55. leaving at 22 45 normally takes under 10 mins.
even on the return in the morning never any problems, one of the many reasons i moved out of central london, driving up here is still a pleasure.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - b308
9 mile rural roads followed by 25 minute train ride and 10 minute walk... or 35 minute 19 mile drive to centre of Birmingham and 15 minute walk... as I work shifts traffic is not usually a problem, though I prefer the train option as I can read the paper or book!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - bbroomlea{P}
Unfortunately the tyne tunnel used to feature in my commute - It used to drive me mad.....

Now its a nice 25 mile trip on the A689 and A19. Sometimes if I am unlucky I get stuck for 10 minutes on the 689 near Wynyard otherwise I can be at my desk, laptop on with a cuppa within 1/2 hour of leaving home. Last year I did over 40K a year commuting before I changed jobs so this is quite nice!

My commute's fine - how's yours? - mss1tw
About a 4 mile cycle, beat the cars home most evenings. Weybridge is suprisingly not that cycle-friendly though. Main route for the A3, train station, schools, college, near M25, the sort of motors and drivers you get in an area like that...it's alright though.
It is so refreshing to see so many people using alternative means of transport on a 'motoring' forum. People laugh at me for getting a bus when I have a car, but why would I drive into town (20 minutes) then spend 15 minutes in a traffic jam, then another 5 looking to park/ Then i would have to pay £2.50 an hour, when I just get the bus for £10.00 a week that also takes me home at 2:00am after a heavy drinking season and save all the hassle?

What I love about the car is that those 30-40 minutes walk in the freezing colder now longer exist, I used often walk to places which had no reliable public transport, not any longer :D
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Pugugly
12 miles round trip 10 minutes both ways. On site parking, my own space, usually occupied by someone else. Its the travelling in work that gets me - at least a 100 miles tomorrow.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Alby Back
poor lamb.....

;-)
Just checking my baa code !
My commute's fine - how's yours? - ukbeefy
3 mile cycle ride in Central London - yes a brave man taking on the Waterloo roundabout....

don't have a car and would be hung drawn and quartered for driving anything running on fossil fuel to work...we have a massive underground car park and a 200 person bike rack...and alot a of empty car spaces.
Why are you a member of a motoring forum then? :D I myself have been a member of here without a car, but I had just bought my first car which had a 'rattle'ing chain when I first registered on here. I do have a bycycle myself but I am too chicken to ride it on the public roads, so its off roading only. I live near lots of wonderful cycle tracks and countryside despite being in the middle of Manchester!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - ukbeefy
Why are you a member of a motoring forum then?

because I am interested in cars, always have been...I just don't own one and can't justify the cost of buying and running one. Many of my journeys eg through and into central london or nearby to where I live would be impossible or nonsensical by car as I would have nowhere to park at that time. I see relatively little benefit in spending 1-2k a year keeping a car standing on the road for the once a fortnight journey I could do by car. I've just learnt to do without and to either do things more locally or on a direct bus or tube route. I have joined a car club locally but not used it much. Each time I use it it "feels" like it costs alot...5.95 an hour and it doesn't give you the flexibility of taking as long as you want to go somewhere and come back.

Yes I know it's odd to be so interested in cars but unwilling to own one...

>>...a 200 person
bike rack...

Is that a modern version of those racks you see in dungeons and do you all come out longer after a hard days work (stretch!)?! :D
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Avant
"I know we have one Sonning resident on this forum - any ideas why this has happened recently?"

You are probably thinking of me, Alanovich - I'm church organist of Sonning but live in Woodley, 2 miles away. Even 2 up 2 down in Sonning is about £500k.

I fortunately don't often go over Sonning bridge in the rush hour, so I don't know why the traffic should have got better. There were some particularly stupidly placed roadworks in Henley during the summer which have stopped now, and maybe a few people changed their travel method when fuel costs went up, and haven't come back....Guesswork I'm afraid.

It's certainly better in the school holidays without the kamikaze mums on the road - but that is true anywhere.

Commuting heaven or hell depends partly on the time you travel. When I'm in our Reading office - 2-3 days a week - I leave home about 9.00 and get in at 9.15, missing the worst of the traffic: I work on happily till 6.30 or so and miss most of it again.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - oldtoffee
I work from home and travel Windsor to Worcester six, seven or eight times a month (245 mile round trip.) Usually M4/M40/M42/M5 or M4/A417/M5. Usually 2.25 hours there and 2.75 back, seldom less and sometimes a bit more but usually easy going, few delays and is an opportunity to catch up with my podcasts.

I think I'll always choose the car over the train network for my jourrney for the ease of door to door travel. If HMRC change the business mileage rates or diesel gets more/very expensive then I'll rethink and move or relocate across the Channel and reduce the frequency of office visits (DOH, what the pink fluffy dice has happened to the exchange rate?)

Edited by Webmaster on 11/12/2008 at 00:37

My commute's fine - how's yours? - Bromptonaut
Northampton dormitory village to Chancery Lane, London WC2.

Drive to station, 12 mins before 7am, perhaps 20mins by 8. Train to Euston, between 48 and 60 minutes. Folding bike Euston to office 12-15mins depending on trafic, lightsd etc. Rain drives me off the bike 3 or 4 mornings a year, but almost never in the evening as I don't care how wet I am arriving at Euston!!.

Colleagues think I have a nightmare commute but I save my admiration for those who brave the crush, smell and sheer unpredictabilty of a "short" tube journey. The only painful bit is signing the cheques for the annual season and car park tickets!!!

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/12/2008 at 23:33

My commute's fine - how's yours? - barneybear
Live in Durham, work in Portsmouth - round trip around 650miles. Down on a Sunday night, 4.5 hours, back on Thursday night 5 hours. 55mpg in new Megan Estate, with Radio 2/radio 4/CD's of Beatles/Sting etc. However usually do this journey by train, which with the right connections can take 4.5 hours and costs £140 return. Recent breakdowns/signal problems have resulted in frequent 6+hour trips.
Wifi on East Coast main line helps with work, but getting a seat can be tricky - and I don't always know when I'm going to be able to get away, so its no good pre-booking.

Has anyone used the lift sharing websites? I tried, but the two people I contacted never got back to me - maybe the tatoos put them off? or radio 4?
However usually do this journey by train which with
the right connections can take 4.5 hours and costs £140 return.

Have you looked at advance tickets? Prices appear to start at £38 each way - see www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ (who unlike thetrainline don't charge for using a credit card or for posting the tickets to you).

Couldn't see any journey options that took less that 5 hours though, so if you did buy the cheaper tickets you'd have to check that they allowed you to take your optimal route.

F
>> However usually do this journey by train which with
>> the right connections can take 4.5 hours and costs £140 return.
Have you looked at advance tickets?

Sorry- just seen the 'it's no good pre-booking' sentence. Shouldn't post so early in the morning.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Alanovich
You are probably thinking of me Alanovich - I'm church organist of Sonning but live
in Woodley 2 miles away. Even 2 up 2 down in Sonning is about £500k.

Indeed I was, thank you for reminding me. Not sure that 500k holds true any more though...I've often wondered why Sonning is so highly prized when there's such a traffic problem through the village. Yes, it's pretty, but by 'eck you'd have to pay me to live there. Until the Third Thames Crossing comes that is, flown in and dropped magically in to place by 400 flying pigs.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Old Codger
When I was young I got a job working The City for double my salary. I realised in a very few hours what a terible mistake I'd made as I lived in the Scottish Borders at the time. I travelled down on a sunday night, 350 miles, and back on a Friday evening. Even in those days the London traffic was horrendous but the lack of a speed limit on what little of the M1 motorway was then built helped. I tried for 8 months to get a job nearer home but failed. One day someone said to me that I was crackers to do this as I was married and had 2 kids. This was a 'Saul on the road to Damascus' revelation to me and I resigned, no job to go back to, and drove happily home. I would therefore most strenuously plead with anyone who is in this position, away all week and seeing the family only at weekends, to seriously give some thought to packing it in, nobody starves in the UK. What happened to me was I stopped on my final trip home at a newsagents near home and saw an advert for a job I could do. I immediately rang the firm and was offered the job there and then, while I was in the phone box! Looking back now I'd rather 'sweep the streets' than repeat that bit of my life. Fortune favours the brave.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Brian Tryzers
All very true, OC - although I think employers have to take some of the blame for long commutes. Twenty years ago, a biggish company would have had a Regional Office or similar in most big cities; even branches in major towns. Now everything's been 'centralized' or 'rationalized' in the name of 'efficiency', and they have a single big office somewhere between London and Swindon. For those who aren't in the Southeast and don't want to be, there simply aren't the jobs close to home that there once were.

Having said that - and being myself employed in the Southeast and resident further north, I choose to drive 90 minutes each way rather than, as my father did in the 80s, stay away from the family during the week. I can usually keep it to three days a week, and when the traffic goes horribly wrong - as it did on the M40 this morning - there's usually the option to bail out and work at home instead.

On a good day - and there are more of those in the summer than at this miserable time of year - I even quite enjoy it. With a bit of ingenuity, I've found a way to listen to a lot of the good BBC Radio output that I'd normally miss, or wouldn't have time to hear at home, so at least I don't have to make do with the Eddie Mair Self-Appreciation Programme.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - pyruse
5 miles or so - in the car when it is dark and/or wet (which means most of the winter) or on the bike when it's fine. Takes about 10-15 minutes by car, 20-25 by bike.
When the new guided busway opens next year, I expect to use the bike more, as it will provide a nice traffic free route more or less door to door, and should be more direct. Current bike route is along country lane which is loveley in the summer, but decidely unsafe in the dark.

My commute's fine - how's yours? - FocusDriver
Guided busway - does that mean that cyclists are allowed to use this 'busway' thing but not cars etc? An intriguing plan sir. Do you know whether there are handles on the rear of these buses? I suggest keeping this under your hat lest you become a "and finally" feature on London Tonight.
Guided busway - does that mean that cyclists are allowed to use this 'busway' thing
but not cars etc?

I'd be surprised if they could... its more like a railway line for buses so I doubt if any other transport would be allowed... though I might be wrong?!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - pyruse
Guided busway - does that mean that cyclists are allowed to use this 'busway' thing
but not cars etc? An intriguing plan sir. Do you know whether there are handles
on the rear of these buses? I suggest keeping this under your hat lest you
become a "and finally" feature on London Tonight.

There will be a 3 metre wide tarmaced cycle track running alongside the guided busway tracks.
It is also a maintenance track for removing the inevtiable burnt out cars from the busway, since it seems to me that racing stolen cars along the tracks is likely to be a fun weekend occupation for some of the local youth.
>> Guided busway -
There will be a 3 metre wide tarmaced cycle track running alongside the guided busway
tracks.

Thanks, P, sounds like a good idea!
Guided busway >>

Think there's a stretch of something similar on one of the main A-roads north out of Leeds.

The buses have a coulple of jockey wheels low down on each front corner which run along two rails.

Effect is like running between kerbs that are only a few inches wider than the bus.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - FocusDriver
Stats: 8 miles to work, A25, 18 minutes. Quite danergous cross junctions all the way. But I deliberately didn't want to work more than 10 miles away as a priority.

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, some fascinating stories.

A very warming story from Old Codger :)
My commute's fine - how's yours? - hillman1 {p}
Ditto A25. Sevenoaks- just outside Maidstone which is about 15 miles and 35 minutes, and a really nice drive- rarely any traffic problems. That is most days, although I also travel on occasions for work related stuff to anywhere in the South East.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Happy Blue!
Why do people commute long distances? Obviously because the job came after the house, but why don't you move house to be nearer to the job?

I assume that the answer is (amongst other things) Stamp Duty, which is a large tax on moving house. Would I be correct in saying that if Stamp Duty was reduced significantly, those people who commute long distances by road, would move closer to work and would that reduce congestion?

I realise there are many other factors, but I just wonder if one simple tax reduction would do more for reducing traffic growth than all the congestion charges in the world?
A lot of it is quality of life. Many people want to live near friends and family, schooling is another contributory, spouse's job may be near where they live, infinite reasons.
I regard my 13-odd mile commute as plenty and had thought about moving nearer work.

The sale and buy process is just too complicated and lengthy to undertake lightly.

So I think if it were simpler for homeowners to move, more of us would live nearer work.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - L'escargot
Why do people commute long distances? Obviously because the job came after the house but
why don't you move house to be nearer to the job?

In my case I lived 25 miles from my job (in Morley, Leeds) because that was as near as I was prepared to be!
I realise there are many other factors but I just wonder if one simple tax
reduction would do more for reducing traffic growth than all the congestion charges in the
world?

No nothing ot do with stamp duty. People dont move to places where work is because they dont want to live there. Its that simple

Motorways and cars have made that lifestyle choice possible,
"People dont move to places where work is because they dont want to live there. Its that simple"

Also there are usually two breadwinners in the house so chances are that close to work for one is far away for the other.
No nothing ot do with stamp duty. People dont move to places where work is
because they dont want to live there. Its that simple

We would happily swap Reading for Bath, but have to consider:

- son's secondary school, which is a good one
- son's friends
- wife's job
- wife's friends
- the local groups (mainly bands) of which we are members

So as the commute is ok, we're staying where we are for the moment.

F
My commute's fine - how's yours? - NowWheels
People dont move to places where work is
because they dont want to live there. Its that simple

Which is why building more roads doesn't ease congestion. Any extra speed or road capacity gained is used up by people who choose to make longer journeys, until the new roads a degree of congestion enough to discourage people from increasing the journeys.
Motorways and cars have made that lifestyle choice possible

Railways offer that choice too. London only functions at all because so many people travel by rail.
>> Motorways and cars have made that lifestyle choice possible
Railways offer that choice too. London only functions at all because so many people travel
by rail.

In fact it was railways that started off the whole commuting malarky.... Metroland anyone?!!
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Paul Robinson
I work from home but my wife commutes. When we moved to live in the country last year, her journey changed from a six mile crawl through congestion which took at least 30 minutes and could take much longer, to a 20 mile clear run along the fosse way. Travel time is always less and she's now enjoying the journey.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - Old Codger
This is true! When I ran a Sunbeam Rapier with Holbay race engine, back in the late 60's, I'd join the M1 southbound where it had reached northwards, somewhere in the Midlands, and proceded as fast as the car would go which was around 110mph (no speed limit then) with a brick on the accelerator. Now before you think I'm mad or was dangerous let me tell you this. In high summer with sunrise around 04.30 there was so few cars on this road that one felt one had to wave to them. I would guess that one car passed me on the northbound carriageway every 5 seconds! Today, retired, I listen whistfully to the 'scraping of the windscreens' and turn over for another few zzzz's. Sorry chaps, my heart goes out to you.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - csgmart
Bristol to Faringdon (Oxon) most week days. 52 miles each way - circa 1 hour.

M32, M4, A419, A420 - easy job. Free and ample parking when I get to the office.

I used to work in the centre of Bristol (4 mile trip each way) - used to take me 40 minutes (bus or walk or car) and parkng was always an issue. Don't miss it one bit.

Only ever had 2 major holds up on the M4 and the worst one was when it flooded last year. All the local roads were impassible except one and it took four hours to get the the M4. Once I was there it was all clear and no drama.
My commute's fine - how's yours? - 1400ted
Completely in tune with Old Codger. My daily commute is bedroom to kitchen via bathroom. Walk 200 yds for paper, carry it home and have another cuppa....nice !
Too cold to go down the workshop and do a bit on the classic car, but what the heck, I don't have to if I don't want to !
Ted
My commute's fine - how's yours? - component part
Last year I was doing Peterborough to Northamptonshire. 53 miles each way, used to take 1hr 15m+ each way. Surprisingly in 24months I never once got stuck in a jam on the A605, A14 J13-J3 or J2, but it is a painfully slow route. Lucky to average 35mph on the A605 stretch, maybe 45-55mph on the A14. It was doing my head in, it was hell.

Current commute is much better. Peterborough to Huntingdon. Just under 25 miles each way. I start early so I miss the most heavy rush hour traffic. The A1M between Peterborough and Brampton must be one of the best stretches of motorway in the country. You can do any speed you like; chill at 65-70mph and it usually takes ~25min. It can be done in under 20min. Journey home at 5pm takes longer, average 35min, up to 40min sometimes but it is still very free flowing.

Ideal would be walking distance but I find the current commute has no peace of mind penalty it can be done indefinitely.