Tuning - Johnny20
My Diesel Corolla (1995 with 73k) has gone seriously sluggish, everything including an old fiesta van is pulling away from me and i'm having to rev the nuts off the thing.
It's never been nippy, but better than this
It was serviced 6 months a go and it's always had good fuel.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Would a fuel additive or tune up fix it?

Cheers
Tuning - Toad, of Toad Hall.
it's always had good fuel.

Excellent, we were discussing this last week.

Exactly what factors make a good fuel?

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Tuning - Johnny20
For me, it's when it comes from a good petrol station eg. Shell, BP or Esso compared to some supermarket rubbish you can get.

Not sure if that's true, but never mind.

The reason i mentioned Fuel is because of all the talk of the bad fuel leaving deposits and blocking things (like injectors) up.

Tuning - Richard Hall
Has it happened suddenly? I'd check that the throttle lever on the injection pump is opening fully when you press the accelerator to the floor. Get a friend to floor the throttle (engine off) and see if you can move the throttle lever any further by hand.You may have a stretched or frayed cable, bent mounting bracket or other such fault, so you aren't getting full throttle. I've seen this before on a Toyota. Also make sure the air filter isn't blocked, and that the hose from the filter to the inlet manifold on the engine hasn't collapsed internally and blocked the airflow.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Tuning - Andrew Hamilton
How has your fuel consumption changed? Has servicing been done on time including air filter?
Tuning - Johnny20
The fuel consumption is up a little bit but it's not massive, probably due to me revving it.

It's always been serviced every 9000 miles by Toyota - I've just remembered that when they brought it back to me they also gave me the old air filter to show me how bad it was.
It was black with leaves in it! Think it might need the air pipes cleaning out??

Tuning - smokie
Maybe you need a tree surgeon not a mechanic
Tuning - Andrew Hamilton
Surprised filter is black. When I change mine it is normally slightly dirty. Suggest you have a problem with oil bypassing valve stems leading to higher oil consumption. Worth checking engine compression at the garage.