Volvo 940 se turbo (1991) lambda sensor - volvoman
Can anyone tell me what could have cause the lambda sensor to come on. Volvo want to resent it and see what happens but I fea a long and costly job which they will want to prolong to increase the bill. I have had minor problems with starting when the engine is warm but it usually restarts and will idle ok if I give it a kquick rev. The light came on when I was forced to accelerate in 4th gear whilst doing 25 mph. The back silencer bx is starting to fail also but nothing else comes to mind. Please help !!!
Volvo 940 se turbo (1991) lambda sensor - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I assume you mean the \'lambda\' symbol has illuminated on the dash. This is the Volvo equivalent of the management warning light. It indicates that something is amiss with the Management system and the self diagnosis system will have logged a fault. On some models this can be read with an under bonnet indicator usually on the passenger side suspension turret. Others need a dedicated \'reader\' that plugs into a diagnostic socket on the car.What Volvo want to do is read the fault and clear the memory then see if it comes back. Any competent independent should be able to do this for you if you don\'t want to use the dealer.
Thanks for the feedback - you were right I did mean the dash indicator. Volv found an intermittent problem with the MAF sensor. They reset the system and cleaned the sensor\'s contacts - cost £30. They told me to wait and see what happens next so I\'ll keep you informed. So far, so good but so far as cars are concerned I am a complete beginner.

ps. apologies for any mistakes in this text but for aome reason I can\'t view what I\'m writing until it has been sent. Thanks again, this is a great site.

Hi Folks, just a quick update - despite my fears the car seems to be running Ok (still touching wood though !!) I do see little amber 'lambda' lights out of the corner of my eye however even when I'm not in the car. How long does this paranoia last I wonder.... Full expecting the car to pack up tomorrow and I'll keep you posted. Bye ?
Following up on the above, I had the car serviced by my local independent a couple of months before the lambda warning light problem. I noticed at the time of the service that the car started much more readily from cold but still suffered from slightly troublesome warm starting. Could any 'tuning related' adjustments done by the garage been the cause of the problem and could the emissions now be above the limit as a consequence ? I don't want an MOT failure when it's due. I don't think the garage has any complicated diagnostic equipment by the way and the light hasn't come back on yet but I don't know whether it would indicate an emissions fault in any event. Can anybody help ?
Volvo 940 se turbo (1991) lambda sensor - 940 driver
I have a similar problem and are wondering if anyone knows how to clear the memory of a K Reg 2.0L 940. The Self diagnostic unit is giving intermitant coolant sensor as its fault code.
Volvo 940 se turbo (1991) lambda sensor - Bert
Have a look at Volvo 740 turbo thread last message posted 3 october, coolant sensor dual function, does play up.
Bert