Evil automobile - Richard Hall
I'm only just recovering from an 'interesting' journey yesterday, in which I had to drive a 1965 Ford Galaxie with a malfunctioning autobox down to Portsmouth, then pick up another car and bring it back. The journey down was OK (apart from one section of the M25 being closed and the rest choked solid), but as for the return trip....

The car is a 1966 Dodge Charger 383, formerly a well known drag racer and still fitted with all the tuning bits (although the nitrous injection system is long gone). 425 bhp at the flywheel, left hand drive, sloppy power steering, leaf rear springs and drum brakes. Also incredibly valuable and my boss's pride and joy.

When I collected it I was told it was 'a bit tricky to start when hot', which turned out to be an understatement. I had to stop for petrol twice (it only does 10-12 mpg) and both times I almost ran the battery flat trying to get the old bitch to fire up again. Apologies to all the people at South Mimms services who got deafened yesterday evening when it finally fired and I revved it a few times to clear the plugs. At least the French tourists appreciated it.

I doubt I will ever drive a more scary car - I've never been so frightened in my life, although it actually turned out to be fine once it was running, if a little vague in corners. And as for the sound - just beautiful. Can't wait to drive it again, but I must get that starting problem fixed.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Evil automobile - J Bonington Jagworth
Sounds wonderful! Let me know if you need anything similar delivering from Pompey...
Evil automobile - Daedalus
I swapped a Fiat 127 for a 427 cube Galaxie in the late 70s. It was right hand drive and had an accelerator pump that squirted petrol out of two copper tubes about 4mm in diameter down two of the inlets. You could have used tennis balls to block all four throttle inlets. Total monster with the stacked headlamps. My mate had a full monty Mustang about the same time, we and I mean we, could afford to fuel it once a week to go the Dixie Land in Southport and do some crusing to pickup some baggage. It did about 7 to the gallon and to this day is the only car we know of to spin its wheels from what was then the Woodwards lights (Tesco now) to when you shut off for the roundabout going towards Southport (now the BP roundabout).

Happy times

Bill
Evil automobile - THe Growler
....proper cars that had to be DRIVEN! and looked a million bucks parked.

(still got my Mustangs!)

The m/cycle version is the Harley with the ape-hangers, cat converter thrown away long ago in favour of open pipes that spit flame on the over-run, lumpy carb jetting and wicked cams meaning no idle below about 2000 rpm, new rear tire every 1500 miles, perpetual 3rd degree burn scar tissue on the inside of the right calf, forward pegs, German WWII helmet, t-shirt with very rude words on the back....grease under the nails and bugs in the teeth...

Like your Galaxie, murder to handle and ride (drive) but there's no other experience quite like it... .....I enjoyed the first mid-life crisis so much, decided to have another one...