1996 1.3 Reverse lamp not getting signal - Rattle
When my mechanic was reversing out the garage I noticed the reverse light was not working, I didn't say anything to him as I thought it was just the bulb. I have since tested the bulb and checked the voltage on the light cluster PCB and there is no voltage.

I am assuming it is the reverse lamp switch in the gearbox, I have looked at what I think it is, but there is a wire coming out of it and is bolted straight onto the earth so I can't see it that.

Where is the switch located on a MK4 Fiesta? Is there a quick way of testing it?

Edited by Pugugly on 25/10/2008 at 17:39

1996 1.3 Reverse lamp not getting signal - Screwloose

First check the fuse.
Do know what fuse number it is? I haven't had chance to buy a Haynes yet.

Thanks.
Found my dads old MK4 manual and it says the fuse is shared with the brake lights which work, so it can't be that.
1996 1.3 Reverse lamp not getting signal - Screwloose

It might be fuse 29 in the engine bay box.

How many wires did this gearbox switch have - the diagram shows six?
1996 1.3 Reverse lamp not getting signal - mfarrow
I might be imagining things - but I'm having images of two sensors on this engine/gearbox combo depending on type. One a basic 2-pin switch to the right of the starter motor which turns the reversing lights on, and another multi-wire one for the ECU.

There will be two wires - either you're mistaking a sleeved cable for a single wire or you're looking at the wrong sensor.

Edited by mfarrow on 25/10/2008 at 21:02

1996 1.3 Reverse lamp not getting signal - CarMechanic
Hi,

What number in the fusebox for the reverse light and brake lights? mk4 1.8D 1996 Fiesta. Cheers.