What's Best Way To Repair Slight Body Damage ? - hjm218
Hi all,

I recently bought a vauxhall astra which had some scratch marks about 1/2 an inch long above the driver's door handle. The affected area covers only about the size of a 50 pence piece, but because it's in such a prominent place I would like to get it repaired.

The main vauxhall dealer quoted me £175 so I decided to buy some touch up paint and do it myself. I'm ashamed to say that I've made
.**********

The colour of the car is silver lightning so I bought silver lightning touch up paint which looks to be a slighty different shade, and the paint it seams to be a bit too thick and blobby so I can't get a thin smooth coat. I tried to remove it with some t-cut type abrasive but this made it worse ! I finished up removing both the touch up paint and the top layer of original paint exposing the primer. I've tried to repaint it again using the touch up paint but it's looks a real mess - I wish I'd left it alone now !!!

Is it too cold now to use touch up paint outside ? And would it be better to use a spray can if I mask off the rest of the body work ?

Would the chips-away people be a cheaper option to the garage ?

Apart from telling me I'm a right pink fluffy dice, all suggestions would be appreciated.

John

{Post reformmated to use all the text box, and not just 2 thirds of it}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2008 at 11:16

What's Best Way To Repair Slight Body Damage ? - Victorbox
I would have thoughts Chips Away would be cheaper.
What's Best Way To Repair Slight Body Damage ? - Ian (Cape Town)
You're a right pink fluffy dice!

Ok, that's that over and done with, so let's start being positive.
Silver is a pig of a colour on cars. Because it has a certain fade to it, with washing/sunight etc, to get a perfect match is difficult.
I assume from your post that you've used conventional paint - is there not an aerosol version available?

If you want to continue down the DIY route, I suggest you get to the local library, and see if they have the Haynes book on body repairs, which gives you a general overview of fixes, as well as gets to specifics on the job.
Other options are:
1) do the prep yourself - sand it down to bare metal, refill, prime, and then get a helpful spraypainter to do the actual painting/blending in for you.
2) get some scrap panels, and use them to do the practise - sand, fill, prime, sand etc, 3 or 4 times, until you are happy. Then tackle the door.
3) Maybe try a breakers for a complete door in the same colour.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2008 at 11:17

What's Best Way To Repair Slight Body Damage ? - OldSock
Despite that wonderful two-page spread in Haynes manuals, DIY paint jobs using either touch-up cans or aerosols will usually end in tears...

As you've found, it's just not possible to get an 'original finish' using a brush. The normal aerosol just doesn't spew out enough paint, forcing you to spray too close to the panel - paint 'runs' inevitably follow. They also have a nast habit of 'spitting' just when you think you've acheived that perfect finish :-(

Add in the problems of cold conditions and draughts and it becomes even less feasible.

It's a bit like plastering - seems simple in concept....!

I'd bite the bullet and get half a dozen quotes from reputable bodyshops.

Edited by OldSock on 22/10/2008 at 15:26