Company car - what model? - payingfornowt
I need to find a company car, the only constraints I have are that it is a Diesel, Five door and under £400 per month lease cost.

The less co2 the car emits the less tax I will pay.

My personal considerations are that it should be economical for my 40 mile commute over 3 mountains and round several bends.

Obviously all this climbing and cornering will have different effects on different cars. I assume a lightweight car would be best.

I am not really bothered about prestige or how it looks but I spend at least 2.5 hours per day in it so want to be comfortable.

If anybody has any ideas what I should get it would be appriciated?

Edited by Pugugly on 29/09/2008 at 18:50

Company Car - What Model? - imb
Have you considered a Mazda 6 diesel? I'm looking at the base hatchback as my budget is tight and you can buy new for £11995 pre-reg, about 20+% discount on RRP. The revies give it a good enough write up and the emissions are low so possibly worth a look?
Company Car - What Model? - adverse camber
are you tied into a specific lease company? Ask them for a list of what they will do in your price range.
Company Car - What Model? - NARU
The back of Whatcar will give you ideas on lease prices, but you need to know the lease and mileage period - eg. 3 years/60,000 miles or 4 years/90,000 miles. Or do a google for lex freechoice which will let you get an idea.

Sometime 'prestige' cars can be good value - we used to get good deals on BMWs. Indeed, we would get a discount for having a metallic BMW (I think the lease company would get the metallic paint thrown in, and the benefit of a better residual value).

Edited by Marlot on 29/09/2008 at 21:55

Company car - what model? - craig-pd130

My 10p worth would be: choose a car from a main dealer either close to your home, or close to your place of work.

The car will need at least three services when you have it, and something will inevitably go wrong while you have it (which will need a trip to the dealer), and there will probably be a safety recall (which will also need a trip to the dealer).

If that doesn't narrow your choice too much, then pick your car :)

If you don't need a big family barge (Mondeo / Passat size) then I'd be tempted to go for a Focus-class car, there's a huge choice in this sector and they are roomy and comfortable enough for most needs. So that's Focus / Golf / A3 / Octavia / Mazda 3 / BM 1-series / C4 / Megane / Civic etc

These cars are typically lower CO2 and lower sticker price, which helps minimise your tax exposure too.
Company car - what model? - Collos25
Looking on the HJ home page a Peugeot 407 hdi should come in pretty well below the £400 mark if the retail is £10k ,a roomy and very economical car.
Company car - what model? - DP
The Saab 9-3 TTiD has just come on to the company car list at one of our subsidiary companies, and the first recipients are absolutely raving about them. 180 bhp twin turbo diesel, 149g/km CO2, and contract hire rates start in the high 200's depending on terms.
Apparently superb to drive as well, although I can't comment on this as I have not yet had the pleasure. They certainly look good.

Cheers
DP
Company car - what model? - ijws15
I have had the Octavia for six months and 14k with no regrets.

On our lease it is just over 300/month for an Elegance with some extras (maintained, 70k, 4 years), 130g co2 (DP - 149g for a diesel is disastrous on tax - especially with Saab's list price).

Astra's tend to be cheap on lease as do Renaults - if you can live with one.

You pay tax on P11d value which is OTR less a few bits so you don't save tax on the discounts offered and they tend to makes the residual lower pushing the lease cost up.

Consider that you will pay more tax each year as the chancellor ratchets up the BIK tax.
Company car - what model? - Falkirk Bairn
Company car?

Why not ask for a Car Allowance and buy what you want.

I had a nice car - petrol V6 -in lieu of a Co car I bought another car for work. Outgoing Honda model- ran it 6 years - between 2 companies I was paid 50% more (after tax) than I paid over that time.

Traded it in and got £2,000 so all it cost was depreciation of £8,500 for 6 years motoring.

Mileage allowance (40p for 10K and 25p thereafter) was sufficient to pay petrol, servicing, RFL & Insurance and my private mileage.

I was not taxed on any benefit in kind so all over it was a winner for me and a loser for the taxman.