the clean screen battle 2 - mike1
i've just found this site and quite interesting it is too.
back to the subject, does no-one use a micro-fibre cloth to clean the screen or indeed all glass surfaces?
there are several types of "weave", i've found the coarser the better but you'll have to experiment. just soak in water, squeeze out the excess and it removes everything (with a tiny bit of elbow grease)- including grease/oily film on the inside. during a long run on a hot night there's nothing better at getting all the flies/midges/moths off.
i always have one in the glove box.
for the washer bottle, i find the holt's screen wash from halfords very effective.
normally speaking, if your wipers are squeaking then it's time to change them since all the graphite has gone from the blades - hence the rubber chatters on the glass. i always use valéo or marechal blades.
ciao
the clean screen battle 2 - johnCD
I don't know about cleaning cloths but find Comma screenwash much less smeary than most others. I also find Champion and Bosch wiper blades go a long time without chattering on the screen. Prices for the Bosch are a bit steep but they probably last a bit longer.
the clean screen battle 2 - svpworld
I seem to recall in a recent survey that Comma screenwash came out the best. Its not so easy to find, but I have tried it and it is excellent. There's little smearing, it doesn't end up stinking of vinegar after several days and doesn't squeak too much on the blades. The Halfords scented ones are nice though as they come in apple, lemon and even flowery blossom flavours.. nice way to freshen the car up on a long journey is to put the vents on and squirt the screen!
Incidentally, what is probably the hardest and most difficult task in cleaning a car.. the inside of the windscreen! Anyone found an easy method of clearing the smears quickly from it? I've tried glass cleaners and tissue paper, but everytime I clean the top of the dash I end up getting silicone on it again. Another thing whilst I am on the subject of cleaning the insides of cars... why on earth do they make polishing cloths bright yellow! I am constantly trying to remove yellow fluff from the black velour trims in my car!

Simon
the clean screen battle 2 - M.M
Simon,

I've been keeping the insides of car windows clean for years with a leather in warm water plus vinegar added. If it is really dirty use a old fashioned rough dishcloth for the first wipe to take off any dirt that would contaminate the leather.

To avoid smearing I find it best to leave the polishes/cleaners in the shop.

David W
the clean screen battle 2 - <0.One%
Apologies once again to HJ for posting external links: but for glass care articles and forum, have a look at:

www.autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=99446b4b3c9...1
the clean screen battle 2 - mike1
just for information, the micro-fibre cloth is nothing special (at least not in france and i'm sure not in the uk). the micro weave means that the tiny fibres get right into the surface imperfections where the grease is hardest to remove.
in fact i'm sure your wife/girlfriend/whatever has one in the house for cleaning windows anyway. if not, it'll cost as much as a bottle of good glass cleaner but it'll last the life of the car!!
i repeat that the cloth removes even oily film without the need for chemicals of any sort except for h2o (water).