Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - Screwloose
Sharkey

Yet another one! I'd be wary of replacing injectors without definite evidence of failure; a big-end failure can cause the piston to hit the head - and that can make the odd knock too.

There's a lot on useful info on each injector's flow-rate in live-data; I'd suggest they examine that first.
Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - sharkey
Thanks for the reply Screwloose. The garage seemed to believe that it wasn't a big end failure although I am sure they haven't examined the car fully and it is just an opinion. Being a layman when it comes to cars, would the mazda dealer with their specific diagnostic machine be able to obtain info on each injector's flow rate in live data?

Thanks Screwloose

Sharkey
Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - Screwloose
Sharkey

Most good asian scanners can give the injectors' flow and deviation rates. Worth trying.
Turbo Diesels - same afflictions as TDCI? (Vol 3) - turbobob
Hi,

I have just removed the sump from an 02 reg Mazda MPV turbo diesel. The oild pick up is almost completely blocked by carbon deposits. I have taken a photo and possibly I can post it here.

To inspect the big ends and crank journals, I have to remove the next section of the crank-case above the sump. It looks like this is possible without removing the engine from the car or the head from the engine. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Also, where are these carbon deposits coming from and what can I change / do to prevent them reoccuring?

Thanks for any help.
Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - Just a poor woman
Hi Screwloose

I coughed up nearly £1200 for reconditioning of my diesel pump on My 54 reg Mazda 6 just two months ago. Now I have spoken to my local garage about a persistent oil leak coming from the near side near the front and they say it is from the intercooler and may signal a big problem with the turbo intercooler. I am just about to contact Mazda about it. Would I be throwing good money after bad to contemplate another expensive repair to this car?

Do you recommend avoiding diesels altogether and can you recommend a better buy for my next new or nearly new car? I was thinking about another Mazda 6 as I love driving it but also thinking about a Ford Focus or Mondeo....

What a nightmare as I live in a rural area and am dependent on my car for everything!
Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - Misfit

My advice would be to get rid of it as soon as possible before the turbo and the rest of the engine goes.

I have a 53 reg Mazda 6 TDi. There are known issues with both the fuel pump and the engine oil pump / lubrication (as discussed in this forum).

Last year I noticed that the car would occasionally stall when idling and also when driving at low revs. It would take some time before restarting (1-15 min). Later in the year I was touring in Europe and the car stalled again, but wouldn't restart. A recovery guy managed to get enough fuel coming through to start it and I took it to the nearest Mazda dealer. They knew about the Denso valve problem on the fuel pump and fixed it for 270 Euros.

Later in the year I had bodywork and wheel arch corrosion repaired and alloy wheels refurbished for £1400. Then I got the timing belt kit replaced for its 80,000 mile service, and at the same time the power assisted steering pipe started leaking, so that was fixed (total £500). Other than the timing belt, I understand that all these issues would have been covered under a recall if the car had a full Mazda service history.

This year the car was driving fine. However, I noticed that it was using more oil than normal, and the residual engine oil also seemed to be very black. This was the first sign that things were going to go wrong. I could also start to hear a whine from the turbo which wasn't there before. A few months ago I was driving on the motorway when the turbo failed catastrophically within the space of a few minutes. I lost power and blue smoke was coming from the exhaust. The engine was still running smoothly and so I limped home the last few miles rather than call for a recovery. That was a mistake, but I now believe that the damage had already been done before the turbo failed. In the last few hundred yards before getting home, the oil light started flashing.

My local garage advised that the turbo could be replaced for £1000. When testing the engine, they believed that engine damage had not occurred. Unfortunately neither they nor I had read this forum. Thinking that I would be keeping the car a while, and that I had already fixed almost everything else, I went ahead with the repair. The garage also put the car through its MOT. When the work was done, we could hear a tapping from the engine, but it appeared to test drive fine. I drove the car twice since then on local runs, and the tapping became a knock, then a squeak. The second time the engine stopped on me and the car had to be recovered home. The recovery guy said that the knocking was terminal. Looks like the lubrication problem as described in the forum...

The car is being sold for £650 instead of market value £2200 with a working engine. A scrapyard offered only £250.

Mazda6 2.0d TS2 2004 - catman74

Having read most of the posts on vol 1 of this thread and knowing that there are another 2 volumes is leaving me feeling rather sick...

I have had my 6 since Jan 2007, bought it with 53,000 miles and it now has 91,000 miles.

Over the last few months i have noticed smoke coming from the exhaust under excelleration, not sure of the colour, grey/brown i'd say, and i had noticed the engine being very noisy on starting, particularly on a cold morning.

I was due a service so booked it in with my usual mobile mechanic (ex head mechanic with Mazda dealer, some years ago), i can't afford dealer prices. Anyway the day after servicing my wife drove the car and sent me a picture of the dash with the engine management system light on and the stability control light on. When i drove the car the lights had gone out, but the car was noticeably lacking power. I drives/starts fine, the only way i can describe it is that the turbo isn't working. Could it be an EGR problem as i have seen described? My mechanic is going to come back and check the turbo.

Any help would be much appreciated please!

Edited by catman74 on 25/01/2012 at 11:45

Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - MBrackenbury

Hi

I have a 2004 / 54 Mazda 6 Sport which has only done 65k miles.

On the motorway 2 weeks ago there was suddenly a big noise from the engine. I immediately stopped and phoned the AA. My car was taken to my local Mazda garage, where it had been serviced since day 1.

First diagnosis by the garage determined that one of the fuel injectors had failed and it needed replacing.

At a cost of £905 plus fitting cost.

Now I know very little about cars – I can change a wheel, put oil, diesel in etc – the basics, but the ins and outs of a car don’t concern me, and this is why I have always taken the car to a main dealer – even though I know I am paying more, I am under the impression that they know what they are doing and I would be getting the better service and hopefully the car would last longer.

Over the last week I have spoken to various garages and each time they are telling me that to be charged £905 for 1 injector is a “joke” and they are ripping me off.

Yesterday the garage called me and said that now the engine and turbo also now need replacing.

The current Mazda garage bill stands at £1800. £905 for the injector, plus 4 washers, plus 15.5 hours of labour.

To get a re-con engine and turbo its going to cost me another £1500 plus fitting.

What should I do?

Is the Mazda garage ripping me off for the price of the injector?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Mark

Mazda6 - estate 2002 diesel - Fuel injectors - balleballe

find a place that will recon the turbo - should cost you no more than £600. for one injector you should be looking at around £400 (including labour) at any competant independant.