Golf electrics revisited - dimdip
I thought this might be of interest to other Golf III owners or prospective buyers. I tracked down another of the several problems I've had with rear door circuits to where the wires pass through the rubber bellows between the B-pillars and the doors. There's a photo on Lee's community site:

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?action=Sho...4

It seems to have been caused by the harness being too tight when the door is fully open resulting in the wires being alternately stretched and bent. Two were broken completely (12V feed to electric window, and a speaker line) and another two were partially severed.

At least this can be patched without having to delve into the door, though I think a longer term solution would be to adjust the harness anchoring inside the door to allow a bit of slack back through.
Golf electrics revisited - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
This is a well known problem and the subject of a factory recall.
My Mark III Golf had this checked and sorted free of charge.
Worthwhile contacting the local main dealer before trying to fix the problem yourself.
Golf electrics revisited - dimdip
Thanks GWS, but according to the c-b-c breakdown, the recall only addressed chafing to the front door harness where it passes through an opening; whereas this problem is wires breaking inside the bellows midway between the rear door and pillar.
Golf electrics revisited - BrianW
This doesn't only apply to cars, our dishwasher produced an impressive bang and shower of sparks when the opening and closing of ther door chaffed through the cable to the controls.