Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - pat22090
I recently had cause to check the service invoice for my 2.0d TS2, and found I had been invoiced for 5.1 litres of Oil. The engine only holds 4.1! The dealer has stated that this is a problem with the Mazda supplied service software (no I don't believe it either!) However if you get a moment you may want to check the amount of engine oil invoiced to the stated capacity in the handbook. You may be surprised.

slight chop to prevent identification of the dealer - PU

Edited by Pugugly on 24/07/2008 at 18:52

Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - rtj70
But the service history of the Mazda's are all electronic and held on their systems. I didn't see the bill for my service yesterday as it's not me paying - I probably am not allowed to know how much the lease management company actually pay. Less than we would no doubt.
Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - MW
An interesting point. The SAAB 9-3 I have just bought has all the old SAAB history, and the previous owner was regularly charged for 5 or 6 litres of SAAB's very expensive own turbo oil. The sump capacity is only 4 litres!
Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - ifithelps
Where I used to work we drained all the supposedly empty pint/quart top up cans overnight into a bulk dispenser.

The few drips from each can soon added up and we always had enough of what must have been a real multigrade to top up the garage vehicles.

We would also give a pint or two away to those on what is now termed a tight budget (no money), or marginal motorists as we used to call them.

Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - Victorbox
First thing I do after a service is pull the dipstick & check the level & see if the oil looks new.
Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - Halmer
I always ask for the unused portion of any unused full litre for topping up purposes. Funny how they seem to hold 4.1 yet you get charged for 5.0 when it comes out of a big bulk drum.
Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - Pugugly
When I had my car serviced at both BMW dealers I used they always left a proportion of oil in a plastic bottle, Skoda have done the same. Can't remember what VW did.
Check Your Service Record for Engine Oil - ifithelps
Does nobody use bulk tanks anymore?

If the car needed seven pints, that is what I withdrew from the tank and that is what the customer was quite correctly charged for.

We also had an overhead lube bay powered by compressed air.

The grease gun was OK, but the engine oil gun pumped a bit too quick, leading to some oil drenched rocker covers, and some very smoky engines - albeit temporarily.

Q: 'Why has my car been road tested for 30 miles?'

A: 'Because we managed to squirt half a pint of oil over the exhaust manifold.'

Edited by ifithelps on 27/07/2008 at 20:01