Roofracks - transporting a long load? - Nickdm
I've got the pleasure of picking up an 18-foot long kayak this afternoon...

Just bought a fancy set of Thule roof bars to help do the job. Clearly the boat will overhang the car by some length: is it best to have most overhang at the front or the rear of the moving vehicle?
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - jc2
The front-you can see where it is.
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - gordonbennet
If you centralise it, there will only be 2 ft sticking out either end unless you have a very short car. Could tie a hi vis to the stern too.

Roofracks - transporting a long load? - Alby Back
Watch your speed too. Amazing how much something like that will want to make a break for freedom when it catches the draft. Tie everything down very well. You don't want to be up the creek without.......... ;-)

I'll be off now then........
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - gordonbennet
catches the draft. Tie everything down very well. You don't
want to be up the creek without.......... ;-)

Groan......
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - Cymrogwyllt
carried a sea kayak on the room many, many times. best have it centered. unless tou have a cockpit cover carry it upside down. even a little water sloshing around in the boat is very nasty. neds to be very well tied down. consider a line from the bow and stern to the towing eyes on the car
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - bathtub tom
When I was a young lad, I used to carry a hang glider around.

IIRC there's a legal limit on allowable overhang. One metre to the rear, possibly even less to the front?

A tie down to the bow and stern will definitely help. Also this will help to prevent it skewing. Give it a good tug when you think you've got it secure.

Any wind or slipstream will do unexpected things.
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - Stuartli
See: tinyurl.com/57rp3v for information.
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - wrangler_rover
My son frequently carries a sea kayak on Thule roof bars on a 1.2 litre Corsa B with no problems.
Tie the kayak down front & rear to the car towing eyes.
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - ifithelps
Tie the kayak down front & rear to the car towing eyes.

Good idea, although my Focus has only one screw-in eye, two holes, one eye.

I can see why - who would want to tow their car in both directions at the same time?
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - bathtub tom
There's a difference between towing eyes and lashing points.

The latter are to tie down a vehicle to prevent movement during transport, and I presume are what wrangler_rover was referring to.
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - ifithelps
BT,

Sorry, made the mistake of not taking everything said here in absolute deadly earnest.

The poster did say towing eyes, but as you say, lashing points would do the job.

Have known someone confuse the two.

Needless to say, the lashing point ripped off in no time under towing load.

Right, I'm off to start a new website:

www.forgoodnesssakelightenupalittlebitcan'tyouparticularlyifyouworkinr
oadhaulage.com

Should get loads of hits - mostly abusive.:)
Roofracks - transporting a long load? - Cliff Pope
I think the 1 metre overhang rule means the distance at which you have to tie a red flag on the end. I'm not sure what the absolute limit is.