Suction mounted w/screen camera holder. - retgwte
Been playing with one of these new small Flip Video cameras

Seems the ideal camera to satisfy my long held desire to have a cheap simple video of the road ahead, certainly gives a good enough picture of the road ahead to give "police, camera, action" a run for its money

Now it will only record an hours worth, but the buttons are mega simple and ideal for control while driving, would be easy to reset every hour

Now all I need is a suction cup for the screen a la GPS but with a camera tripod mount to hold this small camera, and idea where to get one?

Then the next "£$"£$"£ to crash into me and then subsequently lie about it will find some video footage in court

Even cheap enough to have one pointing backwards too

Will also be interesting next time a police motorbike decides to cut me up like a hooligan

Thoughts?

Edited by Pugugly on 22/06/2008 at 10:28

suction cup with camera mount - skorpio
Check out the latest Auto Express mag, page 62. It features just such a device which can help record data in the event of an accident. It also has a lateral G Force sensor but whether this info is recorded I'm not sure.

Apparantly they're big in the States and a lot of people use them to help reduce their insurance and capture evidence proving that it was the 'other guys fault'.

suction cup with camera mount - Hamsafar
You can get all kinds of vehicle mounts, ones that mount on headrest stems, suction cups etc.... Any AV company will sell them.
www.b-hague.co.uk/camera_suction_pads_vacuum_mount...m
suction cup with camera mount - welshlad
i hate to tell you this but to my knowledge (and it may be wrong)any recording made by a private individual of another private individual may not be addmissible in court without the prior consent of the person being filmed being obtained by the person doing the filming, its all to do with the expectation of privacy, i know there are cameras everywhere these days but believe me they are there and not hidden (well shouldnt be) and its public knowledge etc etc etc maybe some of our law enforcement members can clarify a bit better

got to love the human rights legislations
suction cup with camera mount - tack
Info from information commissioners website:

"The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt."

I expect that this may extrapolate to using a camera in your car.

Edited by tack on 22/06/2008 at 10:20

suction cup with camera mount - ifithelps
Taking pics in a public place is OK.

This plan might fall out of bed if the accident happened on private land - a supermarket car park, for example.

Strictly, you would need the landowner's permission to take a pic/footage, although a commonsense view might be taken.

As regards court admissibility, few accidents end in court and a video is still evidence, whether admissible or not.

A police officer could view it, as he might listen to a witness, and use all the info before him to form an opinion and tender appropriate advice.

Leaving proceedings aside, video footage could make one side, or the other, take a more reasonable course.
suction cup with camera mount - Robin Reliant
"Mr Retgwte, the film taken by yourself from inside your own vehicle just before the accident clearly shows your standard of driving to have been of the most dangerous kind, and I have no hesitation in passing the maximum sentence..."