1998 2.0 l rear brakes - pet
I have SE estate that has lately had rear brakes seizing on. My garage ( who are usually good) have replaced both rear brake hoses and the caliper on off side. Prior to this one side then another would stick on and overheat. The front brakes do not stick on or overheat. The ABS seems OK. These replacements have not worked and the near side is now sticking on again. The car is not used much c 1500 mls per year. Any advice welcome

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/06/2008 at 19:53

1998 2.0 l rear brakes - The Gingerous One
Check it's not the handbrake cable that is causing the caliper to stay seized on.

If you detach the handbrake cable from each caliper and then take it for a spin or otherwise check to see if the caliper is seizing then. If you've had the hoses replaced and a caliper then it can't be that (I assume the replacement caliper is new ?)

I had a '95 P10 Primera and replaced the off-side rear caliper thinking it was seizing on. But new caliper didn't cure the problem, it recurred shortly after I had pulled the handbrake on hard, a mile down the A66 i had smoke billowing from the wheel!

Upon closer examination, it turns out that the handbrake cable has to do a sharp turn on this model of Primera and this put stress on the outer sheathing causing it to split and then let in water...which is when it starts rusting and then sticking.

later P11-144 (99 - 02) don't have the same right-angle bend of the handbrake cable so it must have been a problem else Nissan wouldn't have changed it....

cheers

Stu