Premium for older car - RaineMan

I was told today about someone who paid a premium for a car that predates the VED emission bands. To save £100s on tax he paid £2700 for a 'W' reg Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 LS auto. I would think the dealer is laughing all the way to the bank. It seems that in order to save on VED common sense and logic are going out the window!
Premium for older car - krs one
I'm always amazed at how much people will spend to save some cash on their road tax.
Even if your paying the top rate it is still a very small percentage of your running costs over a year.
Premium for older car - doctorchris
Depends on your mileage. My 80 year old dad drives to Tesco, about 2 miles there and back and to see my mum in her home, maybe 8miles return. His Mazda 2 probably does less than 2000 miles a year but he won't consider giving it up and using taxis instead. Thus road tax is adding about 6p per mile to his running costs.
Premium for older car - BazzaBear {P}
If you're really going to do this, why oh why would you buy that car?
If you're really going to laugh in Darlings face, surely you've got to go for something which really takes the mickey out of having a lower tax rate?

How about this? Low mileage for the year, ideal for nipping to the shops, yet also a good cruiser!

tinyurl.com/5trqeb
Premium for older car - RaineMan

What I found most bizarre about it when a friend told me (the purchaser is a friend of his) is that it is hardly the most economical of cars. I imagine it could reach the situation where the extra spend on fuel tax exceeds the road tax saved! I did think of buying a s/h Vectra a few years ago but a test drive left me underwelmed - lots of better cars for the money.
Premium for older car - zm
It seems that in order to save on VED common sense
and logic are going out the window!

Welcome to 2008 Britian! Common Sense? What's that?