CCTV Evidence parking fines - car junky
From next week councils will be able to issue parking tickets based solely on CCTV evidence.

www.itv.com/News/tonight/episodes/Parkingwars/defa...l

This is the police state at its best, fines issued using a CCTV operators perception of someone breaking the law! No face to face and no explanation until the fine is received in the post which could take upto 2 weeks! (note the clip of the mini being fined by Lambeth Council for not giving way at a narrow bridge)

'I've got nothing to hide so I don't mind' I hear you sheep say? Why does the majority have to suffer because of the minority. Studies have proved that CCTV actually encourages the rebel inside us as an act of protest against feeling 'accused' and being watched. What happended to reasonableness? Are we all really that bad! What next?

What happended to our liberal society? Surely this is an infringement of human rights?

The poor old motorist gets it in the neck yet again!
CCTV Evidence parking fines - billy25
Aay!!!! in 20years, hm gov will have a "cam" in your bedroom"!

Sorry ! ad a glass of "pop" ;-) delete if req, but twill appen! - bg brother WANTS to watch!

biiiilly

Edited by billy25 on 30/03/2008 at 04:45

CCTV Evidence parking fines - Armitage Shanks {p}
CJ - are you able to post a link to these "Studies" suggesting that people rebel against cameras? I am not saying it is not the case but it strikes me that it is like the sort of 'Research' which comes out with rubbish like"Recent reasearch suggests that people who eat more than 6 potatoes a day tend to develop ingrowing toenails" - they may - but it doesn't follow that there is a connection!
CCTV Evidence parking fines - ijws15
I don't give a damn about cameras in public spaces. It makes them safer for you and I, or of more relevance my family to go out, without the constant fear of being mugged for mobile phones or less.

If you do something wrong there is more chance of getting caught - it is only logic that it is applied to everything and not just the muggings.

Learn to live by the rules society has set and forget the cameras are there.
CCTV Evidence parking fines - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't think is any evidence of any sort to suggest that the presence of CCtv cameras is making the streets 'safer'. London is blighted by knife and gun crime, muggings and anto-social behaviour with a dozen teenagers dead already this year. When CCTV pictures are shown on TV - "Do you recognise this person" they are of such poor quality they are useless. Finally, when they are really used in anger to try and solve some crime, we hear "Police are viewing hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in attempt to indetify the criminal!" The police would be better used spending hundreds of hours out on the street being a visible deterent. I add that this is not a cheap shot at the police - they do what they are told! It is their management that is wrong.
CCTV Evidence parking fines - Hamsafar
Crime is rising proportionally to the rise in the number of spy cameras.
CCTV Evidence parking fines - madf
CCTV is a waste of time.
Cos anyone jailed is let out almost at once due to lack of prison spaces..
As for probation, not enough officers.

The Criminal Injustice system is designed to punish the innocent and protect the guilty...oh and keep lawyers in a job..(sorry Pugugly)

Edited by madf on 31/03/2008 at 13:46

CCTV Evidence parking fines - Hamsafar
You are right, I saw the son of somebody who lives nearby in the local paper a few weeks ago and he had been jailed for something bad, but I can't remember what, and it was for quite a time, anyway, on Saturday, I saw him being arrested again and the house being searched by Police with ladders. He had obviously been released very early and done something else, or failed to return to some sort of 'open prison'. Meanwhile in the town centre.....
tinyurl.com/2ymsvb
CCTV Evidence parking fines - Pendlebury
Personally I do not like CCTV as I do not think it works.

It's ok people saying it's they're for your safety - again this is nonsense - the people mugging you have wised up to cctv and hence we have the hoodies.

Of course if a crime is committed in the area and not on CCTV and you happen to be walking past a CCTV nearby - it will soon be up to you to demonstrate that you did not do it. It will be a different perspective then for all those that think they are there for their protection me thinks.
And I do understand that you are innocent till proven guilty - my point is that you are automatically a suspect - which is why I disagree with them.
CCTV Evidence parking fines - Pugugly
Too right.
CCTV Evidence parking fines - Fullchat
And will performance driven operators be too busy looking for easily traceable errant motorists rather than 'real' criminals, which is what CCTV was installed to do??