Import car to USA - uk_in_usa
I used to have a Rover P6 V8 which has now found its way into the hands of a professional panel beater and restorer. He's made it look so great and it apparently still runs so well at 33 years old I was thinking of buying it back off him and importing it to the USA.

The breadth and depth of knowledge in the backroom never ceases to amaze me... so I'll give it a shot.... does anybody here know about the legalities of this?

As an aside, I met a guy who was over here working on secondment. He actually imported his British car and drove it around with no problem on UK license plates for the six months he was here, and then shipped it back. He said it was cheaper and easier than renting a car for six months or having to buy and sell a car here. So it must be possible...

Import car to USA - Victorbox
Have a read here - scroll down to article Importing your MG into the USA www.austin-rover.co.uk/
Import car to USA - Victorbox
Sorry full title is "Essays: Want an MG TF in the USA? Now you can..."
Import car to USA - nick
They used to sell them there, the North American spec cars are highly valued in the UK. Buy one of those and bring it back here and make a few bob, unless they are costly in the USA too. Or are you permanently based there?

Edited by nick on 29/03/2008 at 17:34

I'm permanently here... thanks for that link, I'll take a look!
Import car to USA - Kevin
Which state are you in? It could be important.

You should check with your local DMV before you go any further.

A car from the 70's could prove to be a bit of a headache because of changes to safety and emissions laws going on then. Some states may have restrictions on the import and use of vehicles that do not comply with local or federal regulations in force at the time the car was built.

For example, you might find that you'd be allowed to import it but unable to use it except for "show" purposes. Even worse, you could be required to modify it to comply with US regulations.

If you do decide to ship it over the pond, these folks did a good job for me:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=43...6

Kevin...
Which state are you in? It could be important.
You should check with your local DMV before you go any further.

Illinois

As for the DMV, I fear it, and the people therein !
Import car to USA - Kevin
>Illinois

Even worse. Emissions regs not only vary county by county but also, believe it or not, by ZIP code.

Check dmv.org, you may qualify for the Illinois 25yr "Vintage" exemption for emissions tests. The nhtsa website gives general advice for imports to the US.

If you really, really have to have a P6 in the US I'd try and find one already imported. What's the name of that huge (500 page?) auto trade mag? The one that looks like a telephone directory with a brown cover. I've got an old one somewhere but can't be bothered trying to find it.

Kevin...
>Illinois
Even worse. Emissions regs not only vary county by county but also believe it or
not by ZIP code.

I know that much, where I used to live (10 miles away) I had to have an emissions test, but in my new place I don't.