03 ST D9 Hdi manual Sedan fault diagnostic reader - 406NT_Oz
Additional detail:
Built Date: Feb 2003
Compliance Date: May 2003
Vin Number: VF38BRHZF81579708
Engine Number: 10DYMR4030205

Is there a source of compatible diagnostic code scanners for this model?
I have no dealership within 3000kM and am seeking an additional source of hardware to access and/or clear codes. I have a PC based scan device which has not yet been used.
Pinouts on the DLC don't match most of those handhelds on offer, and I am not about to buy a DIAG 2000.

Apart from ABS and ESP pins 11 and 12, about the only OBD2 match is the 12volt rails and the ECU on pin 7.

Someone posted some time back that this was a gold mine wating to be opened?

Cheers, Terry

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2008 at 10:44

03 ST D9 Hdi manual Sedan fault diagnostic reader - Screwloose
Terry

These are manufacturer-specific protocol - OBD-II was an incredibly slow bunch of US-only protocols that only exist to let e-bay sharks rip off the punters with meaningless twaddle and useless tat.

Quite frankly; codes alone are little use to you on these. A Bosch EDC [or possibly a Siemens SID on your late D9?] is so complex that only reams of live-data and a complete understanding of how it thinks, will get you near what it's really fretting over.

A Diag 2000 might be your best way. They're totally obsolete now and must be available for pennies. A Snap-on "red brick" will access these, but gives so little live data it will struggle with anything complex.

A complete manufacturer code-list [some of the 3000+ codes are multi-purpose and you have to know what system they were read from] will be very necessary too.
Screwloose, thanks for the prompt response.

This one has the Bosch EDC 15C2 fuel injection system. I understand the potential complexities with the code interpretation, apart from learning stuff from this and other forum posts, I have had a minor brush with ERDs ---- entity relationship diagrams --- in another life dealing with programming people (I am not a programmer, apart from little Basic routines). The logic flow diagram for the entities in the ECU would be useful.

Although this second-hand (95000k ~ 60000m) unit runs very well, it is the distance factor and the thirst for enough information to talk sensibly with people like yourself and southern dealerships (we are in Darwin), that makes me want the ready means to provide correct information. I have a background in electrical/electronics/instrumentation, and am now retired -- sort of retired!!

You suggest that a DIAG 2000 might be not too expensive, and that has got my attention.
So I would ask if there is a likely source of secondhand units in the UK? The cost might be offset against the alternative courses of action.

Just a thought, is the diagnostic equipment common to other make's systems? There is a VW dealership, and I see quite a few Mercs. and Saabs etc. running around up here.

We have considerable diesel background --- Toyota and 505 SRDt, plus Golf, Yanmar etc., but this is the first common rail unit we have owned. I like the Peugeot build in the handling and fitout areas, but perhaps the location might prove difficult for the 406 without dealer/experience factor.

Cheers, Terry
03 ST D9 Hdi manual Sedan fault diagnostic reader - Screwloose
Terry

A 505 - that sounds familiar.... I think we've discussed those before - elsewhere.

Keep an eye on e-bay for a Diag; they're now unsupported, so trapped in their own time-period and, like a lot of hi-tech stuff, dying fast. Actias and Lexias woiuld also do you.

Sadly; even other PSA protocols won't comms with these - so no chance with other makes' kit. [Except Citroen; who use PSA HDi's.]

Protect the aircraft sockets below the battery and the engine loom along the front - both big sources of wiring faults. Other than that; keep a spare in-tank pump and be scrupulous about dirt ingress.
So a year has passed and our 406 has just decided to test us with an Anti Pollution Fault.
Nothing has changed insofar as performance is concerned, the car performs very nicely and both fuel consumption and power are really very good.

Diag 2000 equipment prices have not dropped to my comfort level so far, so today I received a FR704 Autel/MaxiDiag for evaluation.

After very straightforward preparations, the tool came up with a code description, but no code as such:

Record1 -> 406 -> Diesel engine -> RHZ BOSCH EDC15C2 -> Read Codes
INTERMITTENT FAULT. ACCELERATOR PEDAL SIGNAL 2. COHERENCE WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL SIGNAL 1.

I have left the fault uncleared for the time being, and will investigate further.

If a Diag2000 should become available, I would still be interested in the price.

Cheers
Further to the Autel/MaxiDiag FR704 and the intermittent fault mentioned above:

After inspecting the accelerator position sensor and its connections, I decided to clear the code and whatever other data related to that Record1. The tool wanted reassurance that I was happy to do this and then a recheck of the ECU showed no stored codes.
The MIL and the annunciator panel have remained cleared for 14 days with regular use of the vehicle which has never behaved as though it had a problem.

Currently I am attempting to get a copy of the lookup table which should associate codes with descriptors. This task might be impossible as there is no reply from Autel.com on either the website message link or the e-mail support address.
Autel's website also has a DTC lookup library file for download. This software installs but will not respond to a code entry attempt. One can select various vehicle types, but there is zero response when attempting to insert a character after the P.

Cheers, Terry
Further to the previous posts relating to our 406 and the Autel/MaxiDiag FR704:

All quiet on all fronts --- that means no repetition of the 'Anti Pollution Fault' ---- and also (unfortunately) no reply to the queries sent to the two possible addresses for the design source of this handheld device.

So thus far we have a tool which can do basic stuff with the pre-EOBD and OBD2 French vehicles, and probably it can do much more with everything else.

We also have a dead-end in relation to the sort of questions one might ask in relation to this product.

Cheers,
03 ST D9 Hdi manual Sedan fault diagnostic reader - glowplug
Did you investigate buying a Lexia off Ebay?

Steve.
Steve, my apologies for the late response to your post.

I am used to a boating forum which notifies me via e-mail (watching/tracking) when any further post appears ---- maybe that's an option here that I have missed?

To your query:

No, I was aware of the Lexia and the Diag2000 gear but the costs of secondhand items was still a bit steep for my perceived needs (as far as I had searched). I am still interested in anything which seems a reasonable deal if there was some certainty as to condition.

The car has always performed very well indeed. The FR704 was the least expensive portable device able to deal with the old protocol as far as I could discover. This tool cost AUD 325.

Anyhow, the Anti Pollution Fault re-appeared on the 2nd April and indeed was the same code interpretation for the lack of coherence between the received signals from the two tracks on the pedal transducer. This time I cleared the stored code immediately (and whatever else was not visible on the FR704) and the system still continues to do its work without any noticeable difference.

Having a past working life associated with many types of transducers used in control and instrumentation, the appearance of a noisy track would not surprise me, nor would an unsatisfactory connection which was responsible for intermittent loss of tracking between the two inputs.
I think that from some learning of the way the ECU deals with lower priority issues, that the transducer is persistently noisy at certain angles of rotation, and that there could be a counter doing its thing with the AP fault being the action at the set point.

The good thing at least is the consistency in the records thus far, and the fact that the car has not been affected.

Cheers,
Terry
Steve and all,
Steve's question re Lexia prompted the previous post and some further digging.

A Lexia3 which seems capable of dealing sensibly with the 406 is now available new for AUD in the vicinity of 450/500.

The online supplier info indicates that live data is presented. At that price, it is tempting --- but only to draw a line for the present vehicle condition (whatever that might be).

If there was an additional reason to obtain this tool, it would happen, but the car runs well (very well in fact) and I might just be playing and wasting funds?

Comments?

Terry