Insurance - it pays to haggle! - PhilW
My insurance is due for renewal soon. Changed ins company last year to what was a good deal after using a comparison site. This year they said I could renew it for same price (£254) but thought I would do a quick check for better deals and found several cheaper. As a result I rang my present company and pointed this out and got a new quote for £183 - saving of £70!
Maybe you all do this already, but thought it worth mentioning - saving of £70 for the price of a phone call ain't bad!
Insurance - it pays to haggle! - doctorchris
My wife and I both renewed our policies this month having both passed the magic age of 50 last year. What a change in insurance cost! We're both now with Saga and take advantage of their interest-free monthly payments. We pay about £12 a month each now. This represents a saving of over £100 each per year compared with our previous insurer.
Doc,
I didn't mention names - but Saga were "my" company that I rang and got the £70 reduction. I was told that monthly direct debits incurred a credit cost (£18.55 in my case on the original "high" quote) but quarterly DD did not. Might be worth you checking again - might save you a few more quid! If you can quote a cheaper quote from somewhere else they say they will match it - same terms obviously
Good luck!
Insurance - it pays to haggle! - doctorchris
The interest free monthly payments seem to be an internet only offer. I find these days that internet quotes are the best, after all they save the company paying staff. I found the Saga quotes by using 3 different insurance search websites and their quotes were the best by miles.
Insurance - it pays to haggle! - piggy
I have been with Saga for several years.However,went to one or two comparison sites and foud insurance for £150 less! This has fewer frills than Saga,but even after joining a recovery/breakdown service I am well in pocket. I think if one stays with the same lot too long they start thinking they can charge what they like.
Piggy,
Agree, there were cheaper quotes for basics, but Saga offered limitless "Green card " fully comp insurance and I do quite a few booze cruises and weekend/short breaks to France per year, also took out legal protection and a low excess for my £183.
Guess it pays to shop around for the best deal for your individual needs not sure I could knock £150 off my insurance - would only cost £33 year if I could!
Insurance - it pays to haggle! - Falkirk Bairn
Same applies to Breakdown Cover, Regular servicing (ring around 2/3 Franchises if it has to be a franchised garage) & some Indies if not

Last Year Breakdown Cover £120 for 2 x cars - £92 (with same Co.) Cancelled existing policy and became a "new customer" with preferential price.

Insurance Premium reduced by £40 - did not take Legal cover as this is free with Shell CitiMastercard and reduced mileage to a more accurate figure as driving distances have fallen for this car.

Service - 3 BMW garages - 2 @ nearly £400 Inc VAT
1 quoted £270 to my son - it should have been £270 + VAT but they did not state this at the time and eventually settled for £270 after 5 minute tirade - "You quoted £270 - no mention of VAT" ........."We have a verbal contract at £270" Other garages quoted a VAT inclusive price......... and I would not have driven 30 miles here and back....... Upshot saved £130 on local BMW garages.
Insurance - it pays to haggle! - *Gongfarmer*
Having found the cheapest quote using the big comparison sites, approach the winning company through their own website and you can often get a quote that saves the £12-15 commisionwhich the insurance companies are charged by that website.
Insurance - it pays to haggle! - helicopter
I saved around £160 by going via confused .com from < More Than to Liverpool Victoria.

Be careful when using these comparison sites that you are comparing like for like .

Despite entering exact details of what I wanted , I noticed omissions on the confused quote - like no hire car and different excess to the one I requested which had to be adjusted when I spoke to LV. The saving above was after adjusting to include the correct requirements.

I tried to get < More Than to match the revised quote but the most they would go was £50 reduction.

I am haggling all day in my business and used every way I could to get them to match LV price - they just said they could not do it at that time but that if I came back to them the next week the situation may have changed .

By strange coincidence , a lady who works for me has just transferred from Direct Line to < More Than because she got a much better deal.

I suppose from insurance companies viewpoint its swings and roundabouts but you'd think they would fight harder to retain customer loyalty.