Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - FotheringtonThomas
How many of you brake-hating dinosaurs [ ;) ] have actually tried stopping from 70MPH as quickly as possible?

P.S. it's inadvisable to try this on the public roads - it can show up unfortunate defects in braking systems!
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Garethj
I have. Errrr, why do you ask?

Edited by Garethj on 17/12/2007 at 14:03

Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - mss1tw
I do regularly on the bike so I know I can do it if I need to. Cadence braking comes naturally when locking up the front wheel can see you on your behind in the blink of an eye.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - FotheringtonThomas
I ask, because very few people actually go out and cold-bloodedly test this to see what happens.It's something worth practicing!
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Victorbox
Anyone who spends a reasonable amount of time on the motorway will have done this many times - probably from far higher speeds!
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - MichaelR
I have. I like to use empty roads as an opportunity to familiarise myself with my cars performance under emergency braking so I know what to expect if i have to do it myself.

It stops with face-wrenching force. Very impressive. Quick and effective braking is another reason why I don't gamble with safety to save a few pence on tyres, either.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - AR-CoolC
Yeah, I've done it, why do you ask?

I've done it from three figure speeds as well, all was fine and dandy.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - normd2
I once tried it and had the unpleasant discovery of finding my pedal go all the way to the floor, it was an automatic too. It took a long time to stop using the handbrake along the hard shoulder.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - billy25
First time i drove an automatic, i nearly put myself through the windscreen when i accidently stomped on the brake with both feet! and that was only at 20!

Billy
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - movilogo
i nearly put myself through the windscreen

Did you not wear seatbelts? ;)
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Sofa Spud
Well, since most of us on HJ are drivers, we've probably all had to brake hard from 70mph at least once or twice!

Being a careful driver, I don't get in many near-emergencies, touch wood. But I had a nasty moment on the M3 the other day. Traffic was building up behind a slow moving wide load - a huge dumptruck on a low-loader that took up 2 full lanes. All traffic needed to move into lane 3 to pass obstacle, that was moving about 40mph.

It was my turn to filter into lane 3, but just as I was pulling across, the car in lane 3, ahead of the space I was pulling into, braked very sharply, for no apparent reason, leaving no space for me and I had to swerve back to lane 2 to avoid hitting the car. Meanwhile, the Range Rover that had been following me in lane 2 was trying to squeeze by me on the inside. So I was sandwiched in lane 2.5 for a few tricky moments.
OK, we weren't doing 70 but it was pouring with rain and I stood on the brakes sharpish!

Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Sofa Spud
>>do regularly on the bike so I know I can do it if I need to. Cadence braking comes naturally when locking up the front wheel can see you on your behind in the blink of an eye.

Sounds a bit close to the limit for road use! That means your behind, or the leathers you're wearing, are your margin of error!
Sounds a bit close to the limit for road use! That means your behind or
the leathers you're wearing are your margin of error!

I don't follow - if I just held onto the brake lever and kept it locked my margin of error would be even less, rather than having the 'muscle memory' instinct to let off the brakes as soon as the front skids, and regain control of the bike.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Lud
Well since most of us on HJ are drivers we've probably all had to brake
hard from 70mph at least once or twice!

>>

Indeed. And had the odd heart-stopping moment in the process. Of course those who have only driven well-maintained disc-braked cars haven't experienced brake fade in all its richness and beauty.
Of course those who have only driven well-maintained disc-braked cars haven't experienced brake fade in all its richness and beauty.

Come come, don't be shy! Everyone who's had a hire car (or use of the company pool car) has experienced brake fade, surely?
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - normd2
and tested the rev limiter ( in the interests of science of course)
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Alby Back
Inadvertantly had to do this 30 years ago in a Wolseley Hornet ( Cool eh ? )
Drum brakes overheated on long downhill and 90 degree bend was taken at way too high speed. Only time I was thankful for skinny crossply remoulds. ( £3 a corner fitted mind ) They just slid and flattered the situation. Drifted round corner in perfect rally style. No skill involved on my part though I'm afraid ! Taught me a lesson though ... mainly about controlling bodily functions in stressful situations :-)
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Mr.Tee43
I have this thing about braking.

I always from time to time, when it is safe just absolutely stand on the brake pedal as hard as I can and let the Antilock system do its work.

I firmly believe that you need to know how your car will react in an emergency and also as the driver I want to know that everything will work when the time comes.

I don't think that many drivers are aware how hard you can press that pedal and that in an emergency they don't get the full benefit.

Practice, Practice ad more Practice.

I also do this on my bike, albeit with a different technique.

Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Tron
Quote Mr.Tee43>> I have this thing about braking. I always from time to time when it is safe just absolutely stand on the brake pedal as hard as I can and let the Antilock system do its work. I firmly believe that you need to know how your car will react in an emergency and also as the driver I want to know that everything will work whenthe time comes. I don't think that many drivers are aware how hard you can press that pedal and that in an emergency they don't get the full benefit. Practice Practice ad more Practice. I also do this on my bike albeit with a different technique. Unquote.

I do this too.

Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - David Horn
Anyone who spends a reasonable amount of time on the motorway will have done this
many times - probably from far higher speeds!

I dunno about you, but I plan ahead on motorways and have never had to do a full emergency stop. In fact, I can only think of one occasion where I've had to brake fairly sharply and nearly all my driving nowadays is on the M6/M62/M40/M42 etc.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Bilboman
Once tried it in my Granny's Austin A35. I set off from her Wiltshire village and reached 70 mph in Oxfordshire. Hit the brakes for a low flying swallow and finally ground to a halt in Somerset.
Wouldn't be without disc brakes and ABS nowadays...
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Altea Ego
Do it quite frequently just for the hell of it.

------
< Ulla>
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - drivewell
August 1989, A93 between Banchory and Drumoak. In a 1982 Audi 100 GL5E auto. Long straight, running late and passing a slow-moving lorry carrying hay. Probably doing about 70. Approx. 50 yards from the lorry, a Land Rover travelling immediately behind it (at ~30mph), pulled out to overtake without looking in rearview mirror.

Did I hit him? No, but I terminally flatspotted a pair of brand new Pirellis, and it probably took 12 months for the rubber to finally wear off the road. For that year, everytime I saw those skid marks I remembered how close I had come to a major accident.

Obviously no ABS, but those skid marks were straight as railway tracks.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - john farrar
When braking very very hard don't forget to keep a eye on your rear view mirror. I've had to judge the gap in front of me and the gap behind me releasing and re-applying the brakes to prevent getting clobbered from the back whilst avioding the front! This has happened to me twice from 70-80mph, once I stopped with less than a foot in front of me and a car sideways behind me about 3 feet away, scarey , scarey and lucky lucky!!!
It probably helped that I ride bikes(self-preservation kicks in ).
I...reached 70 mph in Oxfordshire. Hit the brakes for a low flying swallow and
finally ground to a halt in Somerset.

:^D Excellent
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - OldSock
Hit the brakes for a low flying swallow....

Was that an African or a European swallow?
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - pendulum
I have tried emergency stop to see how the car would handle, but not all the way from 70mph.

On a deserted road I have tested my ability to judge stopping distances by braking on approach to an object (e.g. lamppost by side of the road) as late as possible. I found that I tended to overestimated stopping distances (stop a bit before the object), which is better than underestimating them (stopping after).
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Bagpuss
I once had to brake from around 250km/h down to around 80km/h on an autobahn when the one and only other car on the road for no apparent reason swerved into the outside lane in front of me and then swerved back. I was very thankful for ABS on that occasion and it took ages to get rid of the smell of burning rubber.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - oilrag
70MPH? The immediate memory is 1967 in the Old Man`s morris traveller.
Time seemed to depart from its Newtonian perception as a linear event. In fact I thought of lots of things and watched motes of dust float slowly in the cabin as the stationary cars in front got slowly closer.

(funny how sound seemed to diminish too, or is that just the memory?)

A *very* near thing and if time could slow like that again, I would now still be 17 and not pushing 60.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Bilboman
The "official" braking distance in the Highway Code is 70 ft Thinking + 245 ft Braking = 315 ft overall stopping distance. Arguably significantly less in these days of ventilated dual circuit disc brakes and EBA (ABS doesn't shorten the distance, of course!), but one basic law of physics which, it seems, will never penetrate certain drivers' brains - mainly because it is never taught in the first place! - is that DOUBLE the speed means QUADRUPLE the braking distance.
Add a dose of alcohol, smattering of drugs, some thumpy bumpy music, a mobile phone conversation and a talkative passenger and it's a wonder how some cars ever manage to stop at all!
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Number_Cruncher
>>Arguably significantly less in these days of ventilated dual circuit disc brakes and EBA

I don't really think so;

See

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56041&...e

and

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56041&...e

Putting in the numbers for 70 mph gives;
vmph=70;
vmps=vmph*(1609.3/3600);
mu=[0.7 1];
g=9.81;
d_metres=(vmps^2)./(2.*mu.*g)

d_metres =

71.2965 49.9075
d_feet=d_metres*(1000/(25.4*12))

d_feet =

233.9123 163.7386

If you have a co-efficient of friction of 0.7, the fastest you could stop is in 234 feet + thinking distance reducing to 164 feet if you have a co-efficient of friction of 1.

>>is that DOUBLE the speed means QUADRUPLE the braking distance.

Agreed - that's the vmps^2 in the equation.

Number_Cruncher
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - nick
If you have a co-efficient of friction of 0.7 the fastest you could stop is
in 234 feet + thinking distance reducing to 164 feet if you have a co-efficient
of friction of 1.

I think the maths needs checking. Edmunds.com in the US recorded 60mph-0 in 114.5 ft for a 2007 Impreza STi and a remarkable 106 ft for the 2008 model. I presume this does not include any thinking distance but a whole lot less than the highway code says.
There's nowt wrong with the maths - they *must* have been using some very sticky tyres in absolutely perfect conditions. The numbers you quote will not be attainable in day to day conditions using ordinary tyres on British roads.

Number_Cruncher
Standard tyres on ordinary dry asphalt. And the maths says 164 ft at a coefficient of friction of 1. Surely you can't have a c of f more than 1, or have Subaru achieved it? ;-)

Edited by nick on 18/12/2007 at 14:09

vmph=60;
vmps=vmph*(1609.3/3600);
d_feet=[114.5 106];
d_metres=d_feet*((25.4*12)/1000);
g=9.81;
mu=(vmps^2)./(2*g.*d_metres)

mu =

1.0506 1.1349

They are getting a coefficient of friction of more than one - either sticky tyres and good tarmac, or, they are getting some downforce when travelling quickly.

Either way, this isn't something you could go out and achieve in todays road conditions.

Number_Cruncher

The other possibility is that the measurement is flawed - were they really doing 60? relying on the in car speedo? How were they sure exactly where the braking began?

At 60, you are doing 26 metres per second, so a small error in timing / placing the start of braking can have a large effect.

Number_Cruncher
Surely the range for a coefficient of friction (or anything else for that matter) is between 0 and 1? Less than 0 or greater than 1 is by definition impossible? Or is my memory of a physics degree all those years ago wrong? Could well be, I admit.

The tyres are the standard tyres the car comes with and downforce at 60mph is surely negligable. I might go out at the weekend with a mate and a tape measure and try it in my Legacy and report back.

Remember, the constipated mathematician works it out with a pencil!
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - jbif
The Asso. of Brit Drivers www.abd.org.uk/motorwayspeedlimit.htm says
"In 1965, many cars were still equipped with drum brakes all round, stopping distances were dictated largely by tyre performance and there were no aids to prevent wheel lock-up or to maintain steering control under braking. The braking distance shown in the Highway Code at 70 mph is 75 metres, which was probably a realistic figure in 1965 under good conditions with a reasonably competent driver at the wheel. In 2001, nearly all cars tested by Autocar6 could brake from 60 mph to a standstill in 3 seconds or less. This rate of deceleration is equivalent to a braking distance from 70 mph of 55 metres. When the thinking distance is added, this means that the total stopping distance for a modern car is 76 metres, compared with 96 metres shown in the Highway Code. This represents a 21% improvement in performance since 1965."
Surely you can't have a c of f more than 1 or have Subaru achieved it? ;-)

You can due to the way tyres deform and grip, but I'd agree with number_cruncher and suspect bad measurement as being more likely.
I'm sure you can't. It is defined as being between 0 and 1. And Edmunds, who test hundreds of cars a year, can't measure accurately?
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - fordprefect
I'm sure you can't. It (coefficient of friction) is defined as being between 0 and 1.

Nick, coefficients of friction in the range 0 - 1 as discussed in Physics lessons relate to friction between rigid solid bodies: pneumatic tyres on tarmac are not so limited, as you can see at drag races, where initial acceleration may be 3g or more (i.e. coefficient of friction of > 3), achieved with sticky compounds and controlled wheelspin.

Even rigid solids can appear to exceed friction coefficient of 1 at times; metal parts on space vehicles can adhere to each other and engineers slip blocks will appear to be stuck when 'wrung' together.
Garethj is actually quite right - with tyres, you can have what appears to be a co-efficient of friction greater than 1. This is because in addition to pure friction, there is also an adhesive mechanism that temporarily "bonds" the tyre to the road. This contribution to grip is lost as soon as there's any significant contaminant between tyre and road.

So, I can believe 1.05 as a co-efficient, but, much higher on standard road tyres is a bit odd.

Aprilia's post, which I link to above also describes how tyres can appear to produce co-efficients greater than 1.

I agree, at 60, you wouldn't expect much downforce, I mention it as a possibility when considering how a car can produce a force greater than you might expect.

Number_Cruncher
So as tyres improve and braking systems become more intelligent, braking distances can be reduced quite significantly? As indeed has happened over the years.
I think the parroting of the highway code braking distances in the driving test is a waste of time as who really thinks in feet or metres when judging braking distances? Car lengths possibly but best way is to try it in your own car and then you get a feel for it.

The key to the explanation above is the word 'appears'. The c of f between two materials is surely defined as between 0 and 1. If you introduce contaminants or other mechanisms or change the temperature or whatever you have changed the parameters so comparative calculations are not valid. Or am I going mad?!?
This is all very interesting (really!). This has prompted me to dig out old text books from way back and I'm now remembering why I liked physics in the first place. Mind you, I also remember why I ditched applied physics and went more into the nuclear side of things.
Thanks to all for rekindling an old flame. (Maybe I should get out more).
>>went more into the nuclear side of things

On land, or in long black cylinders, submerged?

Number_Cruncher
On land or in long black cylinders submerged?
Number_Cruncher

On land, in Berkshire.
All the classic friction you will probably have come across on a physics simply doesn't encompass tyres and rubber components in general - they are virtually a law unto themselves.

For some more on tyres, try books by Miliken & Miliken, and books by Gillespie, where tyre to road friction is explained in more detail. In there, you'll also find odd facts about tyres, like the way that the co-efficient of friction *decreases* as the vertical load increases.

For all practical purposes, what we are talking about is the relationship between normal and tangential loads - what is typically called co-efficient of friction. I use the word appear, because there is more going on in the contact patch than what is traditionally known as classic friction. Although rubber goes beyond classic friction, there's nothing there that makes the calcs invalid - it's just that you see a number for mu that's greater than 1 in some special circumstances.

For example, tyres voilate the usual teaching that friction is independant of area, because the rubber conforms, and the actual contact area is much larger than would be the case for non-conforming parts - the actual contact area can be an appreciable fraction of the apparent contact area.

In summary, tyres and rubber parts in general are weird, and if you haven't worked with them specifically, things that you think you know from normal materials will not help you.

Number_Cruncher
Fascinating stuff though, NC, or am I weird?

No answers to the last part please.
>>Fascinating stuff

It's great stuff.

One of the nice things about tyres on dryish surfaces is that they don't develop maximum grip until they're slipping by about 20%, and have a well defined maximum grip level. This means it's relatively straightforward to design a reasonable ABS system without knowing *exactly* how fast the car is travelling - you can do it all by measuring angular accelerations, via monitoring wheel rotation speed and doing sums on the results. It's all fairly benign.

Contrast this with the problem of rail vehicles. Obtaining retardations above 12% is considered to be pushing the envelope! Maximum grip occurs at nearer 2% slip, and there isn't a well defined maximum for grip. All of these conspire to make the problem of a wheelslip protection system [trainspeak for ABS/ASR] much more difficult. Added into the problem that wheelslip under braking means a flat spotted wheel, which means a trip to the wheel lathe to have the tyres machined down. Despite all of this, the press make mirth about the wrong kind of leaves, wrong kind of snow, etc. Ignorant buffoons the lot of them!

There are some trains (class 66 IIRC?) that have a doppler radar, so the true velocity of the train is known, and so obtaining an accurate 2% slip to put down the best traction is comparatively simple.

Number_Cruncher
I'm sure you can't. It is defined as being between 0 and 1. And Edmunds who test hundreds of cars a year can't measure accurately?

Hopefully number_cruncher has given a bit more info about the results tyres can give compared to "solid" physics, as for accurate measuring the thoughts that come to mind are: How accurate is the car speed? Wind speed? Slope of the ground? Does the driver lift off when passing a marker or hit the brake when passing a marker? Are the measurements a "best" or "average"? Tyres and brakes can work differently depending on temperature, are they both at optimum temperature or cold?

How repeatable are the results? I'd be surprised if they can get within 5% even on the same day across 10 stops, that's the difference between the 2 Subarus right there.

Gareth
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Billy Whizz
Emergency braking from 70 mph to 0 is part of the advanced driving course I give for 4x4 drivers. It certainly provokes some fairly wide-eyed comments from my 'students'.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Pendlebury
I'm guilty of doing this as well - in excess of 70 if I'm honest.
Every now and again I like to take the car out usually late at night when I know a stretch of dual carriage way is deserted and make sure that the ABS is all working correctly and it gives the discs a good clean as well.
I then rev it up to make sure the VTEC or VVTi is also working correctly.
Safety for me and other road users is considered while I do it of course.
My experience is as above really - in that the stopping power is very good - car stays straight etc - I hope I never have to do it with someone behind that does not have ABS, EBD and Brake Assist
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - martint123
I do it on a semi regular basis on bikes and car.
On the bikes I do a number of time from the same place and move a tin can or something to show where I stopped. It is surprising how much you can reduce your barking distance once you have confidence on how hard you can squeeze the lever. The foot (back) brake becomes useless when doing this as the wheel is probably barely touching the ground.

The car doesn't like this treatment, smoke after 2 or 3 stops.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - rtj70
Never had to do in ernest thankfully ... and have been re-ended by an HGB in a Fiesta hire car but do not recall to this day all the details and it was late July 2006. No idea how that happened.

My comment though is about temp replacement to my stolen Golf in early 1999. Fleet manager wanted to know what was acceptable. Electronic brake force distribution was one safety item I listed and as well as side and curtain airbags.... narrowed the list of what they had but they could not really aqrgue.... I'd spec'd a car like that for obvious reasons ;-)
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - DP
Commuting on the M3, this is required with varying degrees of severity once a week on average, as the British motorway concertina effect gets under way.

The Mondeo pulls up well, but the brakes grumble for the last 20 mph or so. It's only happened since fitting the cheap Ebay pads and discs. The discs are warping after 3,000 miles as well, so the whole lot's coming off in the New Year and OEM stuff is going back on.

The scariest thing I've ever done it in was a Lotus Elise after a moron on the M25 did an emergency stop on the entry to an exit slip road and sat with his right hand indicator on to rejoin the main carriageway. No ABS and no servo assistance. I opted to jump on them for all I was worth, which seemed to be the right option as it stopped beautifully. ABS? Pah, who needs it ;-)

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Citroënian {P}
Always do a decent brake test on any car I test drive, maybe not 70 but certainly 50-60ish. Have done the braking in all our cars at least once just to get a feel for it too.

Best brakes I came across though were on a Mazda RX8 - bumpy country roads and doing (ahem) 61mph, stamped on the pedal. Stopped with a force that felt it was pulling the skin off my face. I'm sure there are cars out there with much better braking efficiency but the RX8 really did the business.
-----------------
Happy Festivus
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Many times in the past. On M6 motorway usually. Even with my series of new/almost new VWs it was alarming that I never knew which direction the car would swerve at the first hard application. Pre ABS the lot. On subsequent applications the cars would pull up straight. ABS cars a lot better and was convinced by the system in wet track at a Toyota demo day.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - lotusexige
Agreed, Mk1 Elise and Mk1 Exiges possibly the nicest breaks I have ever used. No servos, no ABS to interfere with the feel.

Edited by lotusexige on 31/12/2007 at 14:11

Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - barney100
I have had to brake hard from 70mph on the motorway and it ain,t a pleasant experience. I blame myself for getting too close to the vehicle in front, if i had left the right distance I could have stopped more safely....lesson learnt.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - dragon
Done it from 90+ with hands off the steering wheel at the time.

Before you all have a go at me, it was on a private airfield with an instructor beside me. Very impressive indeed. The car stopped in a much shorter distance than I would have thought possible and also in a straight line. If it had been a real life motorway situation then I would not have left my lane. ( MK3 MX-5)

All I can hope though is if I have to do it for real, that the chap behind has an equally impressive set of brakes!
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Dave_TD
I can remember reading about a souped-up Range Rover whose advertising blurb claimed it could stop from 100mph in 4 seconds. So I tried it in my Skoda octavia one day, no problem at all, 4 seconds (just tickling the ABS a couple of times) easily.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Ben79
Doesn't it make sense to test your car to find out what it drives like?

My friend won't activate his ABS to test it. How do you know if your car will pull up straight? Will the vibration through the pedal surprise you?

Also, as another poster says, a good usage of the brakes wears the mess off them.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Kevin
>So I tried it in my Skoda octavia one day, no problem at all, 4 seconds

100mph to zero in 4 seconds?

A car that I would dearly love to buy, (but never seems to get above No. 3 on our (her) priority funding list) holds the world record for 0-100mph-0 in a production car. I guess it must have Octavia brakes.

It does 100mph to 0 in 3.6 secs (verified by official Guinness BoWR timekeepers).

0-60mph in 2.6 secs
0-100mph in 5.3 secs
0-100mph-0 in 9.4 secs

In October it also wiped nearly 5 seconds off the lap record (Koenigsegg CCX) at the Top Gear test track.

www.ultimasports.co.uk/laprecord.html

Best of all - it's British!

Kevin...
100 mph to zero in 4 seconds would take some doing.
time=100*1609.3/3600/9.81

time =

at 1g deceleration, that's 4.55 seconds

To do it in 4 seconds
100*1609.3/3600/9.81/4

ans =

needs 1.14 g of braking. That's going some!

Number_Cruncher
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Dave_TD
needs 1.14 g of braking. That's going some!

That's assuming the braking is linear and consistent, which it wouldn't be. It was also uphill on an exit slip road (A421 westbound / A6 junction where the BP station is) in a relatively new, relatively light car on good tyres in the dry. I'm not saying it was exactly four seconds but it wasn't far off.
>>It was also uphill on an exit slip road

Ah, that would easily do it.

Number_Cruncher
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Kevin
I've just been pricing up my GTR (again) and noticed one thing that may interest all those who questioned the quality of Kumho tyres (the Ultima world records were on road tyres).

The factory fit tyre options for the Ultima GTR are Goodyear Eagles or Kumho Ecsta.

www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/prices.html

Kevin...
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Pugugly {P}
Item #59 I miss from the BMW - Probably the best balanced brakes in the saloon car business. Oh yes and then some.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - frazerjp
I can only thnk of a couple of occasions where I've had to brake suddenly at 70 mph, sudden queue of traffic approaching me.
Not really had to grab the steering wheel, just the shock of braking suddenly from a higher speed mind.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Pugugly {P}
Did it on the (non-ABS) CBR1000 I was riding for a few years. Don't try it at home is all I can say.It braked spectacularly well but a very scary moment indeed.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - pmh
Having not driven SWMBO primary means of transport (Fiesta 1.25 P) for about 3 months I took it out at Xmas for a quick road test, and was appalled at the braking performance. The pedal was 'dead', the pedal pressure required for a quick stop was absurdly high. It appeared almost impossible to lock up the front wheels. The servo was apparently working correctly (pedal sink at engine start) and the Pads were replaced about 3k ago. The discs had some corrosion, and I suspected that short trips and lack of hard braking had either caused glazing/corrosion problems. Having ascertained that it would stop straight (hands off) I took it for a series of very sharp higher speed stops (from 40, 50, 60 and finally 70) which markedly improved the braking feel, ( on a very straight section of lightly used B road with good visibility). The most impressive experience was when I then took the opportunity to test the brakes from about 60 on some high grip surface, approaching a known hazard. The retardation was at best described as 'extreme' considering the surface was slightly damp.

If you have never tried it, I suggest you do as it shows how much difference this surface can make. It still worries me that 'utility' road repairs do not reinstate this surface and the potential for accidents (in high risk places) must be much increased due to differential grip on longitudinal sections of repair.

I subsequently put it thro a MoT brake test (at my friendly garage) and it all showed up as fine, which is good omen for next MoT. But I have resolved to take it out at least once a month to give it a check.

Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - Aprilia
Virtually all modern cars have very good brakes - its one of the things you don't really have to worry about. Almost any car will potentially lock the wheels from high speed (assuming no ABS) - so stopping distances are more about tyre/road behaviour than the size of brakes etc. People go on about a particular car having 'very powerful brakes' but I reckon its more about pedal feel than anything else. I have been asked in the past to fit 'upgraded' brakes (bigger discs and larger multi-piston calipers) buts its almost a complete waste of time on a road car and can actually be counterproductive. Sure, there will be better pedal feel, but you may well mess-up the pressure-torque characteristics of the braking system which will mean that the ABS operates less efficiently.
Big brakes are needed on the track when there is repeated heavy braking and overheating/fade will be a problem - but not on a road car - unless you drive up and down the Alps every day.

Indeed, I would say that lots of cars (esp small FWD cars) are 'overbraked' nowadays. How many times do you see a small car with corrosion on the read discs because they are not really doing any work? Or siezed calipers? Another annoyance is 'overservoed' brakes on small cars (e.g. Polo, Fabia). A modest bit of pedal pressure almost locks the wheels.
Braking from 70MPH. Who's tried it? - David Horn
Another annoyance is 'overservoed'
brakes on small cars (e.g. Polo Fabia). A modest bit of pedal pressure almost locks
the wheels.

*cough* Megane *cough*