"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - colinh
HJ's Ford Focus III pre-test includes the above quote.

Last week I was side-swiped on a 90kph curve on a Spanish motorway, and hit three times. I was sent spinning down the road. I would like to think it was my driving skill that enabled me to bring it to a halt on the hard shoulder, but I'm sure the Golf's ESP was a large contributor.

Any thoughts?
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - PoloGirl
I think you have to accept that HJ just has a certain way with words, and very strong personal opinions about certain things.

Personally, I wouldn't dare intentionally switch off the ESP on the Golf. I know I didn't have it before and managed ok, but sods law would say that I'd switched it off when I needed it. I don't think it's PC - I'll take anything VW can give me to increase my chances of living a bit longer if the unexpected happens!
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - AgentSmith77
if it's as well calibrated as the ones on our 2 MK3 mondeos (ST220 and Zetec-s) then you should never feel the need to turn it off. A world away from the POS DSC system I had on my E39 540i.

theres some video/report somewhere on the internet showing the difference between 2 Avensis, one with, one without during an emergency maneouvre- I know which one i'd rather have.

cheers, dave.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Aprilia
If he'd been writing in the mid-1960's he'd probably have talked about 'politically correct' disc brakes and radial tyres!
Its a sign of age I think...
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Round The Bend
Its a macho thing with motoring journos.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - MichaelR
if it's as well calibrated as the ones on our 2 MK3 mondeos (ST220 and
Zetec-s) then you should never feel the need to turn it off. A world away
from the POS DSC system I had on my E39 540i.

With respect, you either had a prefacelift E39 and hence ASC not DSC or you were frustated by DSC preventing you having your bit of tail-out fun - a situation which of course ESP or no ESP you'd not get in a Mondeo ever.

BMW's DSC system is among the best - it is absolutely excellent. I have never once felt the need to disengage the system and never once felt that it was being over-protective.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - J Bonington Jagworth
"Any thoughts?"

It's an opinion, and meant (I surmise) to liven up an article and perhaps to trigger the thought that while technical/engineering reasons are good, political ones are bad. Air bags were adopted because it was politically unacceptable to force Americans to wear seatbelts. The attititude that goes with that makes the US a far more hazardous place to drive.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Cliff Pope
Extra Sensory Perception would anticipate all accidents.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Altea Ego
The VW ESP is a waste of space. (as an esp) I can ( and have ) driven beyond the capabilities of the ESP, and it feels the same going sideways on or off.

Its pretty good however at putting traction down in the wet at the traffic light GP
------
< Ulla>
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Gromit {P}
Subaru's engineers would argue (there used to be a computer simulation on their website to back up the point) that ESP is compensation for an inferior chassis design.

Other engineer friends, whose opinions I trust, agree...
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - DP
It's all down to the quality of the calibration of the system, IMO. Some early ABS systems for example were intrusive and horrible. I had the misfortune of driving a Daewoo Nubira once which simply wouldn't stop on snowy roads, and would constantly "kick back" through the pedal when braking in the wet over bumps and drain covers. Yet in nearly 40k in the Mondeo, I have had the system cut in twice - once in a genuine emergency where it definitely prevented a prang, and the other when I deliberately made it cut in on the test drive to see if it worked! You wouldn't know it was there until you genuinely need it, which means a real human being has been out in the car in the development stage, and driven it and tweaked it. Just how it should be.

Sadly a lot of these systems are not as well set up, and in many cars seem to have been put there to mask chassis limitations. I always thought it telling that select powerful FWD cars such as the Peugeot 306 GTI-6 didn't use any form of traction or stability control, and didn't miss it either. It can be a lazy way of making a car handle which is fine 'til it fails, or encounters a situation that its developers didn't when programming it. It's no substitute for a decent chassis, or for a driver's knowledge of how a car behaves when the limit is overstepped, and having some idea of what to do.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by DP on 30/11/2007 at 12:19

"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Bill Payer
I was sent spinning down the road.

I think you've gone beyond ESP's help at that stage. The idea of ESP is to stop you spinning in the first place.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - whoopwhoop
"ESP politically correct" : Usual HJ guff I'm afraid...

ESP is a far more valuable bit of equipment than the "lever to adjust the passenger seat backrest and a rotary knob for adjusting the drivers backrest" that he waxes lyrical about!

ESP is a life saver for the 98% of drivers who wouldn't know understeer if it slapped them in the face.

For the other 2% of drivers, it's limitations can easily be overcome - but that doesn't make it a waste of space - it just means that it can't defy the laws of physics (what did you expect Altea - a miracle???)

"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - rtj70
For most of the time ESP/DSC is never needed. And then one day it can make a lot of difference.

At the moment it seems to be an item to distinguish higher spec cars but I think I am right in saying that today's cars have all/most of the sensors to implement it at very little (or no) cost. And it looks like the EU will force it to be standard on cars soon - a good thing?
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - UncleR
I've a feeling DSC is standard equipment on BMWs. I only say this as I have a pretty low spec ES model which has it.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Billy Whizz
You probably only need ESP a couple of times in 100,000 miles of motoring. But it then may well have saved your life.

Do a search and browse on youtube for Bosch ESP for some illuminating videos. There is a good one with Tiff Needel. One institute is saying that ESP is the most important safety measure since seatbelts.

For real life comparison, watch a few CCTV clips of real highway accidents to see how many fatalities occur with a loss of control that ESP would prevent.

Watch half a dozen videos from different sources, listen to the experts and then tell me ESP is not a significant safety feature.
I October I had a new Impreza rental car in Japan - fitted with switchable ESP (I don't think its available on UK-market cars). I was quite impressed with the system, and coupled with AWD the lever of grip and security was remarkable. On curving country roads you felt a lot more stable with it switched on, than with it off.
ESP, like ABS, is most useful in helping out during unanticipated situations - e.g. driving late at night, feeling a bit tired, kids in the back and you catch a patch of spilt Diesel on a corner of an unfamiliar road, car coming towards you etc etc - that's when its worth its weight in gold.
Heavy vehicles - nortones2
EU are looking into making ESP a requirement on new HGVs and coaches etc. Estimated it may save 500 lives a year. preview.tinyurl.com/2yvd9t

Edited by nortones2 on 30/11/2007 at 13:32

"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Lud
I imagine ESP in this context is some sort of electronic stability control perhaps operating through the brakes and differential or differentials, but what do the letters stand for, and what is it basically?
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - nortones2
Lud. The best explanation I've come across is given in the Canadian site: preview.tinyurl.com/226nso They've decided to use ESC rather than all the other terms.

As to effectiveness: "ESC could have prevented approximately 30% of the crashes that involved loss of control, if all vehicles in Canada had been equipped with ESC."

In a report for the IAM on rural roads, it was found a significant number of injuries were caused by loss of control, 40% of the total.
Thank you nortones. It is much as I thought. Been around for a while on Porsche Cayennes and the like.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - nick
>>(I don't think its available on UK-market cars).
I think the new STi due out in the spring has it.
Do a search and browse on youtube for Bosch ESP for some illuminating videos. There
is a good one with Tiff Needel. One institute is saying that ESP is the
most important safety measure since seatbelts.

Its not
For real life comparison watch a few CCTV clips of real highway accidents to see
how many fatalities occur with a loss of control that ESP would prevent.

I have, a very small percentage in the scheme of all accidents.
Watch half a dozen videos from different sources listen to the experts and then tell
me ESP is not a significant safety feature.

Its not significant.
------
< Ulla>
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - bell boy
just like disc brakes,power steering, fatter tyres anti lock braking etc etc
you give the classes esp and they drive quicker
how many times have i heard a woman say to me i had an accident but the brakes were faulty on my car because the wheels skidded? loads
esp does work though and is indeed most helpful in somehing like an aquaplane situation
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - whoopwhoop
Once again, Altea appears to think he knows better than everyone else!...
well lets face, knowing more than you aint hard
------
< Ulla>
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - DP
Aren't we missing the point here? Instead of fixing people's bad driving with electronics we should be making the driving test harder and being more selective about who we give licenses to. Basic skid control, such as how to deal with understeer and oversteer, and the effect of control inputs mid-corner on the balance and behaviour of a car should be part of the driving test.

I firmly believe that driver aids are abused and become relied upon. I remember being passenger in a late 90's Mercedes C230K Sport belonging to a work colleague who decided to show off his new toy. It was raining hard, and the yellow stability program light on the dash was almost constantly on. The guy didn't seem to know or care that it was only electronics keeping him away from a very nasty accident. A couple of times, the electronics were a little slow on the uptake and the car "wiggled", but he made no correction on the steering whatsoever - I don't think he even noticed. Without ESP he wouldn't have made it to the end of his street.

In this case, the gadgetry was not making anything safer. It was just postponing the inevitable. Which I'm told came four months later writing off the car and thankfully only property rather than people.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Dr Rubber
For motoring journo's or other professional drivers, ESP is possibly not needed (by why is then fitted to F1 cars?)

For mere mortals it is needed more. I have driven on test tracks with and without ESP, and it does make a difference in simulated emergency manouvres. It has also saved my neck on the M25 when some bozo decided that my car was not there (emergency lane changing at 70mph under heavy breaking is not for the faint hearted, even with ABS/ESP).

Joe
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - tyro
"Politically correct", in the broad sense of the term, means "what is seen as correct by the political classes".

And in our current day, safety is a very big priority for our political leaders - hence all the new "health and safety" regulations in recent years, the desire to eliminate virtually all risk from life, the desire to improve road accident statistics, the desire after every big accident to make sure that it never happens again, and so on.

In that sense, ESP is undeniably a politically correct extra.

(I may not be the world's most politically correct individual, but I am in favour of ESP in cars.)
"and in our current day" is a view which reflects the myopia of people who have no recollection of events. Sir, in contradiction to this view, I cite the Factory Act 1833.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - L'escargot
"Politically correct" in the broad sense of the term means "what is seen as correct
by the political classes".

At long last I've seen an explanation of the expression. Up until now I really didn't know what it meant.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Blue {P}
I'd far rather have it than not, my old boss at Ford got to go to Germany when the Focus MK2 was aunched, they did a demo of ESP there and he said that it was clearly the most effective safety gadget on the car. From what I recall they drove over a wet metal plate that suddenly shifted causing the car to lose control, without ESP each and every driver lost it big style and slid backwards, with ESP engaged, he claims the car just lurched a little and then carried on along it's way. I think the way that the plate moved was supposed to simulate a blow out or something like that.

My last 3 series had it and I thought it seemed pretty good, despite been the older version, I only ever switched it off if I needed to do a U-turn on a wide empty road, it seemed to get in the way of my chosen method to complete the manouvere. ;-)

Blue
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Manatee
After making ABS compulsory the EC is considering
making ESP obligatory too. (One more thing to go wrong and write a car off
at 7 - 10 years old.).

Fair point that explains the "PC" comment. I guess it would be OK as long as non-working ESP doesn't constitute an MOT failure - but presumably it will be treated like ABS, whereby the check light has to come on and go off properly?

Regardless of legislation though, it's clear that ESP/ESC/DSC/VSA will soon be fitted to almost all new cars - higher spec buyers will demand it, and as the marginal cost of fitting it when ABS is already there is probably sub-$100 already, it will rapidly become de rigeur on all but the most basic cars.

I'd be interested if one of our motor industry contributors could bring us up to date on ESC developments - the makers are poor at explaining in their marketing material just what they are selling (it was clear that the VSA explanation in the Honda brochure I had was written by someone who didn't understand it properly). Trailer Stability Control (TSC) has now appeared - does this involve additional sensors?
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Bagpuss
I have done a number of driving courses in the past few years and one of the most striking things I always took with me, apart from the fact that noone (including myself) was anywhere near as good at driving as we thought, was the effectiveness of ESP. Especially in the tests simulating a tyre blowing out at speed, high speed avoidance manouvres (emergency lane changing) and emergency braking whilst steering around an object (e.g. a car that's appeared out of a side road), the ESP saved the day every time by making sure the car stayed in control. Although it has its limitations it's a remarkable invention and, given the choice, I'd rather have it in a car than airbags.
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - bell boy
(One more thing to go wrong and write a car off at 7 - 10 years old.)

this is a totally sensible and true answer,its ok to put these things on higher value cars but to make them be fitted to glorified cart trolleys at £7000 a pop is just plain stupid,the electrics will have to be made out of knicker elastic and the components out of squeezy bottles to keep the cost down
or
is it an eu initiative to squeeze cheap cars off the road along with tougher mot's so only the super rich can afford basic road transport,a back door start to backwards road congestion perhaps?
the uk is not littered with rolled over cars in ditches where people have lost control of their cars. what problem are we trying to solve here.

------
< Ulla>
Altea: I could cite the figures relating to loss of control accidents, but as you don't want to know, I won't bother.
You can nortones, cite the figures away. I have seen them. They are INSIGNIFICANT given the
a: the number of millions miles driven
b: the number of accidents
c: the number of fatalaties.

More people die at home on accidents. Why are you not so keen on fixing that?

------
< Ulla>
SFAIK, ESP has little application within the home. Do pay attention Altea!
never seen my skiddy ladder then Nortones!

My point is that (in the uk at least) the level of traffic accidents (and deaths) is as low as it will get. Its noise. Nothing you can do, short of banning driving, will change it.

I have done 600,000 miles over 30+ years and none of my "incidents" would have been prevented by ESP. ESP would not have prevented my biggest accident with the bus.

there is no problem to fix. whats next? men with flags walking in front?
------
< Ulla>
I think we will have to agree to differ Altea.
indeed

still another button and light on the dash is fun.
------
< Ulla>
still another button and light on the dash is fun.

No it isn't Altea. But I have agreed with you, bb and HJ until you said that.
the uk is not littered with rolled over cars in ditches where people have lost
control of their cars.

It is round here. Do you have ditches where you live? To be fair it's usually the frost that gets 'em, not sure that ESP would sort that out.
It is round here. Do you have ditches where you live? To be fair it's
usually the frost that gets 'em not sure that ESP would sort that out.

I assume you are a lincs swamp monkey driving on the droves. I know most of them well. Yes the most dangerous part of the country for sure. ESP wont fix the drunks driving into the drains
------
< Ulla>
Vale of Aylesbury swamp monkey actually.

Many of the residents seem to come from areas of the country where frost is unknown, judging by their propensity to slide off into the scenery, especially at this time of year.
Vale of Aylesbury swamp monkey actually.

Ye blimey , tis cold in there at times!
------
< Ulla>

Edited by Webmaster on 01/12/2007 at 23:26

"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Number_Cruncher
How much of a reliability issue is ESP though?

How many components are needed over and above the ABS system that's already there?

The reliability of ABS is, when you consider the complexity of the hydraulics and the control, absolutely amazing. Although there are failures, the black hats who were saying that ABS will be an absolute headache for car owners as their cars age have been proved wrong. In fact, if you take wheel sensor failures out of the picture, the failure rate of the rest of the system is truly tiny.

Yet again, the doom merchants are crying wolf.

Number_Cruncher
Well said NC!
How many components are needed over and above the ABS system that's already there?

Is this a rhetorical question NC - I was hoping you were one of the people who might explain it to us?

Steering wheel position sensor, lateral acceleration sensors, yaw sensors, additional ECU programming?

ABS only modulates brake pressure, ESC needs to apply/increase it - but presumably a car with brake assist (common with ABS) has the hardware to do this anyway?
"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - Number_Cruncher
>>Is this a rhetorical question NC

Largely, yes. I don't know a great deal about ESP, but I do know that it's really an incremental addition to the existing ABS system. Of course, as it's on a car, it's marketed as a complete new system rather than as an enhancement to an existing system.

>>Steering wheel position sensor, lateral acceleration sensors, yaw sensors, additional ECU programming.

There's nothing that's inherently unreliable there.

>>ABS only modulates brake pressure

Yes, but in doing this, it has to be able to pump fluid back up to the master cylinder, against pedal pressure. So, the pump with the required pressure and volume capacity is already there, so all that's extra is the hydraulic valving to enable the pump to pressurize a brake line.

Number_Cruncher

"..politically correct extras like ESP..." - GroovyMucker
Actually, "political correctness" was originally a Marxist-Leninist term. A rough modern equivalent would be "being on-message". It was adopted and adopted by the American Right, eg in the phrase "not politically correct". It has deconstructuralist connotation - if you control what words mean, and how (or whether) they are used, then you can control how people think.

HJ's may be the first application of the term to stability control. No-one's perfect.
ESP/ESC is a fairly cheap addition to most current cars since it is essentially an extension of the ABS system which all cars already have.
On vehicles which already have an ABS system which uses a high pressure pump and storage accumulator then the only additional components are the yaw/accel sensors and steering angle sensor (which may already be there in the case of EPAS). ABS systems that only have a return pump will probably be replaced by the accumulator type.

As I mentioned earlier, I drove the new Impreza with switchable ESC and it definitely felt extremely secure. I deliberately 'provoked' it a few times on a curve with abrupt steering inputs and it reacted almost simultaneously with my movements. Very impressive. With the ESC switched off the car felt a lot looser. It may be better to have it switched off when zig-zagging around cones, but I don't often drive like that. The response of the ESP/ESC will to a large extent depend on the control algorithm programmed into the ECU. So it can't be assumed that all systems will respond in the same way - I am sure some will be more intrusive than others. Subaru's engineers seem to have got it right IMHO.

I'm afraid I don't altogether buy the 'nanny state' argument. My understanding is that much of the 'H&S' paranoia is down to the legal profession, 'where there's blame, there's a claim'. Ambulance chasing lawyers have made companies and local authorities very nervous. One such company regularly advertises on our local radio station, trawling for potential claimants.

On cars, I think if cheap technological safety improvements are readily available then I think we should use them.