I've Been Naughty Today - doctorchris
Not working today, so I thought I'd take a run up into Northumbria, see the countryside and scenery. It's been a beautiful day, cloudless skies, bright sun low on the horizon and crisp, frosty weather.
I'm a bit worried that Kielder reservoir is so low at this time of the year. Are we pumping our water down South at the moment?
Anyhow, to the point. Once I got back into the city, from just West of the Metrocentre, the traffic was nasty. Typical of this time of year, nobody away on holiday, everybody out Christmas shopping and the Winter lethargy dulling everyone's driving skills.
So, I have to admit that where folk are forming long orderly lines in the inside lane before roundabouts, I've been driving up the outside lane, finding the slow driver at the junction and filtering in. Nobody has peeped at me, they never do at the Tourquoise Panda 4x4, so I don't think I've offended anyone. I just feel that my well-planned, even yet swift progress in traffic must be wrong as so many others just form an orderly queue.
What do others on the forum do?
I've Been Naughty Today - Lud
Depends on mood and pressure of time. Works best when you feel like it, as in yr post... In the wrong mood though, or if rattled by something, may be best to join the orderly queue. I find one does that more often as one gets older.
I've Been Naughty Today - Armitage Shanks {p}
An alternative roundabout manouevre, for turning left, involves going up the right lane and going round the roundabout until you reach the exit you want and thus get priority over the ones you have just overtaken and who are waiting. This has some fancy name that I can't recall except it isn't Heimmlich!
I've Been Naughty Today - Martin Devon
except it isn't Heimmlich!
'tis called thinking.

MD
I've done that one a few times. I try to avoid doing it if a Police car is in the queue 'cos I have a feeling it isn't entirely legal.
I've Been Naughty Today - Martin Devon
I have a feeling it isn't entirely legal.

Must be legal. You just got it wrong and changed your mind.

MD
I've Been Naughty Today - Altea Ego
I have a feeling it isn't entirely legal.
>>
Must be legal. You just got it wrong and changed your mind.

Dont know the area officer, I was in the wrong lane, and realised it was safer to go right round.

What? no you didnt see me do it yesterday as well. How very dare you.
------
< Ulla>
I've Been Naughty Today - Lud
Dont know the area officer I was in the wrong lane and realised it was
safer to go right round.

Er... in a continuous slide with smoke pouring from your rear wheels all the way round sir?
An alternative roundabout manouevre for turning left involves going up the right lane and going
round the roundabout until you reach the exit you want and thus get priority over
the ones you have just overtaken and who are waiting.

Did that very thing this morning in Coventry / m6 junction.

Sorry coventry people but hey thats life.
------
< Ulla>
I've Been Naughty Today - Alby Back
Nothing to be proud of but in my young sales rep days being able to demonstrate the "skillset" of nipping round the busy roundabout while eating a sandwich, removing the top of your Thermos, making a 'phone call and tucking back in at your chosen exit was pretty much required at the interview stage of the job ! Don't do all of that at the same time now..honest :-) Oh and I nearly forgot ... the other mantra was "at no time, under any circumstances shalt thou give any quarter to any white van ...ever !"
I've Been Naughty Today - tyro
An alternative roundabout manouevre for turning left involves going up the right lane and going....This has some fancy name that I can't recall except it isn't Heimmlich!

Wouldn't be Brooks' Gambit, by any chance?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33883

It's not particularly sporting, but I don't have a big problem with it.

There is, however, a kind of naughtiness that I have seen recently in Inverness that does annoy me.

At Raigmore interchange (for those that know the area), there is a slip road off the A9 with two lanes, which leads to a roundabout, from which one can either go left (onto the A96 towards Aberdeen) or straight ahead (back onto the A9) or right (into town).

The left lane on the slip road is usually busier than the right lane. I've started seeing vehicles going down the right lane past all the queuing vehicles, and then taking the first left on the roundabout (towards Aberdeen). This is surely not good practice.
I've Been Naughty Today - Kevin
>I've been driving up the outside lane, finding the slow driver at the junction and filtering in.

Do you mean tearing down the outside lane then cutting infront of a driver who left a reasonable gap between himself and the car in front? If so, it is a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre and is described in the Basingstoke Ammendment to the Highway Code.

Kevin...
I've Been Naughty Today - Blue {P}
Hmm, I've been tearing up the streets of Sunderland today, realised that my dissertation proposal was due in and in a veritable orgy of poor planning I ended up having to make two return visits home to sort everything out and get it handed back in at uni.

I dare say that my driving was less than courteous by the time the deadline loomed, I didn't do anything illegal or dangerous, but I was certainly in no mood to just wait in the queue, it was lane change city, but hey, it saved between 3 and 4 minutes off each stage of my ourney so I wasn't complaining. :-)

Blue
I've Been Naughty Today - z4ron
what are you playing at Doctorchris! Everyone on here knows only BMWs are allowed to do that sort of thing :-)
I've Been Naughty Today - Pugugly {P}
...and the odd, sorry quirky, Skoda.
I've Been Naughty Today - bell boy
if my transit is going round said roundabout then i give fair warning here and now ,no car no matter what badge is squirting and getting in front of me as i quietly queue with all the other munchkins
seriously
I've Been Naughty Today - Chris White
There's a roundabout down the road from me (outside Eastbourne DGH if anyone knows the area).

Coming from an Esso garage you can go straight ahead which takes you into town. There are two lanes into the roundabout but one off and the straight ahead is also the third exit off the roundabout.

When they redid the roundabout a few years back they painted arrows on the entrances, right hand lane was for straight ahead (third exit) and left hand lane was for, well left, first and second exit.

Problem was, people didn't get it and so they removed the arrows and now most people going straight ahead take the left lane but some people, me sometimes, take the right lane.

I'm sure the highway code says that third exit you should be in the right hand lane but I'm sure someone can clarify..................

Chris
...and the odd sorry quirky Skoda.

Ugly - the word is ugly. None of the politically correct rubbish on here
------
< Ulla>
I've Been Naughty Today - bell boy
a round house is quirky
so i agree AE
a first i think
:-)
ugly it is then...................
I've Been Naughty Today - Avant
I don't mind people cutting in - most of us do it from time to time - but I do mind if they then STOP. If the lane you want to join isn't clear, what's the point of cutting in to it?
I've Been Naughty Today - Round The Bend
"Tourquoise Panda 4x4, so I don't think I've offended anyone"

I'd be offended by a Tourquoise Panda!
I've Been Naughty Today - J Bonington Jagworth
"Tourquoise Panda"

That alerted my inner Lynne Truss, too, but I think it's just the local accent...
I've Been Naughty Today - Natty Bumppo
'Filtering in'?
I suppose using a euphemism like this makes it OK in your mind. What right have you to add to the delay of all those now in the queue behind you in a selfish manouevre aimed at reducing your delays? I suppose you realise that other drivers will ape (I use the word deliberately) your actions thereby leading to further deterioration in driving standards.
Don't think I explained this roundabout very well. 2 lanes into it and 2 lanes out but one very rapidly turns right. Quite a few folk turn left so if they're at the front of the queue you can just pass them to go straight ahead. Majority of those going ahead are so slow reading this junction that you can pass them before they've even set off, especially if a bus or a van.
I've Been Naughty Today - helicopter
I have posted before about the naughty move I spotted one morning in Crawley.

The Main Road dual carriageway I use is always chokka on the right hand lane and speedy on the left hand lane approaching a roundabout .

You can wait an age to get let in from one junction which is 10 yards or so after some not very well used pedestrian lights.

Solution for one driver at head of queue in the junction trying to get out - He jumps out of his car, dashes to pedestrian lights , pushed the button and dashed back to his car as the lights changed .

Problem solved.

I've Been Naughty Today - Round The Bend
Brilliant!