2004 1.9dci - Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - BobL
I have been trying to sell my 3 year old Renault diesel (30k miles) without success for a couple of weeks now. No serious interest. I do not think it is overpriced (In fact it was the cheapest private sale on autotrader) in relation to age/spec/mileage/condition. I have a company car arriving shortly so this car is surplus & need to sell. I could wait until the New Year and put the car in my garage (it will still be insured) mileage would remain the same and I could really polish it up (although it is fairly good already). I have contacted a couple of auctions and they a giving me a guide price of £6100 (clean condition), My car is at least that but obviously I would need to pay +£300 in auction fees. I tried to sell at just a little over the clean condition price quoted. Do the backroomers think demand will pick up after Xmas/New Year and it may be worth holding on to the car for 2 or possibly three months? Car is taxed till May, Mot Nov and next sevice due May.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/11/2007 at 12:35

Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - Altea Ego
what renault is it?
------
< Ulla>
Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - BobL
Renault Scenic 1.9dci {added to the subject header - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/11/2007 at 12:36

Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - Paul I
The Problem for you is that you potential market is very credit restricted. Higher Interest rates plus other things like fuel etc have all had an effect on people borrowing.

Borrowing is harder now that at any point in the last 4 years as lenders look to lower risk and/or recover loses elsewhere. I feel Unlikely to sell to a private buyer until well into the spring.

An alternative is Ebay which is good for selling cars - I have sold 3 this way in the last two years all achived welll above book and dealers valuation.

I got far more response in a positive way than AT.
Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - BobL
I think you are right about the credit restrictions. I`m minded to put it into auction early in the new year. I did read HJ`s latest auction report about dealers stocking up again in the New Year. I did try selling my previous scenic on ebay three years ago but never got even a trade level bid despite being a good description and pics. I did get a lot of enquiires from eastern europeans asking my lowest price. I did sell through autotrader for about 4.5k which was in line with the private sale book prices at the time
2004 1.9dci - Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - Minemapper
Hi Bob. I found your autotrader ad (I think), based on your description here. We could be interested. Can you send more pics and maybe details about what area of the country you are in? I'm at minemapper@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Matt
2004 1.9dci - Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - Minemapper
Also, as a buyer, let me offer a quick comment on your original question here.

Your ad has one pic, and a small one at that. I find that I'm a lot more likely to look at a car on autotrader if there are several good quality pictures. You need to get the different angles of the outside, and at least a couple of the inside. I've sold probably 5 or 6 cars online in the last 8 years, and have found that including as many high resolution pictures as you can makes a huge difference in capturing those eyeballs. I know autotrader limits the number you can include, but I would have no less than 5 on there. I usually then host a lot more on a seperate site, and put a link in the ad.

It may seem trivial, but in that crucial moment when you are trying to get someone to click on your ad, and spend some time thinking about it, good pictures count. The internet is a visual medium.
2004 1.9dci - Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - The Melting Snowman
MOT Nov - I assume this is 2008. If not, I would suggest getting a new MOT. Good selling point.

The price seems reasonable and the mileage is attractive for a diesel. The diesel is by far the best and most popular engine.

As others have said, now is not a good time to be selling, reading the papers the outlook just seems to get more and more gloomy.

Also there's far more choice in this sector than ever before. Ten years ago Renault ruled the roost. Not so now, practically all manufacturers have jumped on the mid-size MPV bandwagon. One of my favorite and usually underated and hence cheap is the Picasso.
2004 1.9dci - Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - Pugugly {P}
Why don't you try and punt it here on Classified Ads ?
2004 1.9dci - Dilemma - Sell now or in New Year - BobL
Minemapper, I think you have identified the wrong car as mine has about 8 pictures. I have sent the link to the ad on autotrader via your gmail address. I know it is only a gmail address but I would caution about posting it on a forum Cheers Bob