Advertising Advice - hillman1 {p}
Morning All,

I am in the process if trying to sell my Mondeo and have advertised it on the autotrader website. I have had no response so far despite advertising it at what I thought was a reasonable price, but I wonder whether I have made things a bit more difficult for myself in another respect.

After I had bought the car it turned out that the trader had clocked the mileage (down from 88k to 58k) I was one of about 70 people he had done this to, so at least I wasn't alone and have learnt from it. I now have all the documentation from Lex, the previous owners, saying what their disposal mileage was, and also a full service history in the form of a printout. I do know, therefore, what the true mileage is to within about 400 miles.

Currently on the advert I have briefly written about the mileage issue, but I wonder if that has put people off ringing. I don't want there to be any comeback if, for example, I don't mention it in the ad, although I would be up front about everything with people when they ring/come to view, if I were to take out of the ad any mention of the 'history'.

I also used the autotrader telesafe phone number system- is that likely to put purchasers off, as it does cost a fair bit more than if they were to ring me direct?

For info, the car is an 02 Mondeo 2.0 Zetec Hatch with 111k, in pretty good condition with FSH, 6 mths tax and mot up at £2395.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nick
Advertising Advice - DP
I would be tempted to simply advertise it at its "true" mileage, and point it out to people on the phone when they ring that the odo shows something different and why.

From a fraud point of view, you have nothing to gain from telling someone the mileage is higher than is showing, so I can't see why it would put people off.

People thumbing through ads are going to find scores of Mondeos, and won't even attempt to understand the situation in a few short ad words. They'll just move on. At least on the phone you can explain it properly.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Advertising Advice - blue_haddock
I also think mentioning dodgy miles in the advert would be off putting - there are loads of mondeos available so i'd just skip it and move onto another one. As DP suggests just put what you believe to be the proper mileage on the ad, personally i wouldn't even mention it on the phone as it would still put people off. Best get them to look round the car and see how good it is for the money then raise the issue once they are interested in it - you can then show them the paper work to back things up.

Regarding the number i much prefer it when there is a landline number showing - mobiles and non-geographic numbers are hard to trace if there are any problems.
Advertising Advice - Imagos
Time of year maybe.. or try eBay.

eBay may be a thorny issue with some but i've found it a better selling platform than Autotrader and what have you to lose?
Advertising Advice - Chris White
eBay may be a thorny issue with some but i've found it a better selling
platform than Autotrader and what have you to lose?

I've always found eBay a great place to sell cars (have sold 5 cars on there over the years), have never had any problems, got the price I wanted and found people would drive huge distances to get a car I'm sure they'd be able to find locally.

I just haven't found Autotrader or local free ads have worked for me, but you can write as much as you like on an eBay ad.
Advertising Advice - gordonbennet
I do have a problem with the phone number system on autotrader.

If i've got say a dozen cars i'm are interested in i rule out the o870/0871 type numbers not because i'm tight (i am) but on principle, same as i will not contact a company using this type of phone system.
You are the seller and i'm the customer but your alraedy turning me over by overcharging me for contacting you before we even start. Not you i know but the system.

I know i sound like a loon over this but its how i feel, so i will use a proper landline or even mobile by preference..

I think you are right to say up front about the mileage problem, it tells me you are honourable and i would walk straight away if you told me about this after i had travelled a hundred miles to view the car.

I'm in the car moving game and things are very quiet at the mo, so unless your car is very cheap you will struggle just now.

I.m another one who has problems with fleabay non appearing buyers, but it is very cheap advertising and you can put your mobile on there.
Thanks for all the advice people. I think I will try amending the ad, and just writing the true mileage and then when (if) I get replies will explain more on the phone. I will probably also write my landline and mobile and see if the telesafe phone system has been putting people off.

Will report back in due course....
Advertising Advice - StevieC
I would like to add my four pennies worth, over the last 3 years I have sold 4 cars and have sold them all thru ebay, I did also advertise the 1st one thru auto trader but the only calls I received were people offering to sell it for me! my method will sound odd, but trust me it works and gets loads of attention and watchers with bidding going mad, I start the car (this included my 2002 BMW 320D earlier this year) at 99p with no reserve, sounds a tad risky but it really isnt, its worked every time I have got higher prices than I have seen in Auto Trader and what I would have put on as a reserve, I have just sold my lads YELLOW Hyundai Amica, not an exciting car, yet it had 84 watchers, and went up by 400 quid in the last 5 minutes. (Y reg 64000 miles and made £1350) I would mention the mileage issue as well on ebay, as people have said you are not charged by the word, dont stint tho, have the extra bold and make it stand out.
Advertising Advice - Chris M
I would put the true mileage in the ad and say nothing to callers. It's going to be hard enough getting anyone to view a leggy Mondeo unless the price looks good. Mention the mileage once they are sitting in the car.

Alternatively, don't mention the mileage at all in the ad and wait for the calls to flood in with numpties expecting a low mileage car for the apparently bargain price advertised. Some people expect something for nothing.

Edited by Chris M on 04/11/2007 at 17:41

Thanks for the advice all. I reworded the advert on Monday just leaving the true mileage, and not mentioning the problems, had a few phone calls when I explained about the issue and didn't seem too much of an issue to the callers. Anyway, sold it yesterday so thank you!