I Have A Question - Volume 205 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 206 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 205. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/11/2007 at 18:56

Secondary Property Extent - Mapmaker
So what?

According to the local authority search conducted by a solicitor in respect of a property purchase, the 'primary property extent' is as expected - the house and the garden up to the edge.

The 'secondary property extent' however is not as expected. This is the bit up to the middle of the road. (And yes, it is an adopted road; very much so as it is an A road!) According to the plan, the property includes the bit up to the middle of the road in front of the property; fair enough. Also it extends 20m in front of the adjacent property; and it also includes a considerable chunk of their driveway.

So what?

Edited by Mapmaker on 30/10/2007 at 10:52

Secondary Property Extent - L'escargot
The best person to explain the ramifications of this surely must be the solicitor.
--
L\'escargot.
Secondary Property Extent - Mapmaker
>>The best person to explain the ramifications of this surely must be the solicitor.

Never ask a professional person who has a ticking clock a question unless you know the answer first!

2 stroke engines:is petrol to oil ratio crucial ? - Anglesey Ian
2 stroke engines: is the petrol to oil ratio absolutely crucial?

I have a strimmer where the petrol to oil ratio is recommended as 50 to 1 but have just bought a new chainsaw where the ratio is advised as 40 to 1.

For 2 stroke owners out there, you will know the periodic hassle in preparing the mix. Can anyone please advise whether I could just mix the former ratio and use the same mix in both engines without having to take 2 botlles into the shower ?

Any advice would greatly appreciated

Ian
2 stroke engines:is petrol to oil ratio crucial ? - nick
I'd run them both at 40:1. You may get a bit of smoke with the strimmer but nothing to worry about.
2 stroke engines:is petrol to oil ratio crucial ? - billy25
yep, running richer doesn't cause as much trouble as running leaner (i.e the strimmer will be ok at 40:1 but the chainsaw would suffer eventually at 50:1), as Nick says probably more smoke from strimmer, also you might find that it won't idle as well, or may even cut-out due to plug fouling. but keep the revs up and it'll be fine.

Billy
2 stroke engines:is petrol to oil ratio crucial ? - nick
A hotter spark plug might help if it does foul up.
2 stroke engines:is petrol to oil ratio crucial ? - Anglesey Ian
Thank you for your responses and I'll take your advice.

Greatly appreciated

Ian
High Blood Pressure - BigNose
High blood pressure. Anyone else suffer?? I have just had my pressure measured and I have discovered that it is 170/70. The two young nurses who pumped me up seemed to think it was a big laugh and suggested that the machine couldn't be working. They even went as far as to suggest that I would be dead if it were correct :(

Needless to say that I didn?t share their amusement and I am slightly worried about making any quick movements in case I pop an artery. I now have an appointment to see the doctor in a couple of weeks

What I would like to know is this. What is an acceptable figure for a man of my age?
I was 90 last August and am still reasonably active. Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be causing it? I don't eat a lot of salty food and unless that young stripling Cameron appears on the television I am generally quite even tempered.
High Blood Pressure - Big Bad Dave
"I was 90 last August "

Are you sexually active?

If so - congratulations.
High Blood Pressure - normd2
135/85 is generally considered the upper end of the scale for the average adult - the nurses may well have been right - unless of course you were feeling quite frisky for a 90 year old at the close proximity of nurses... :)
High Blood Pressure - daveyjp
You could be suffering from pre-eclampsia - are you sure you aren't 7+ months pregnant!!!
High Blood Pressure - Gromit {P}
There's a history of high BP in my family. But don't panic, because i) high blood pressure can be controlled and ii) yours might not actually be high at all.

Its not uncommon to get an unusually high result when your BP is tested - many people's heart rate goes up in response to being in a doctor's surgery, without their being especially aware of it. A repeat test will confirm the result, or you may be asked to wear a monitor over a day or so to make sure.

If your BP does turn out to be high, it could be caused by a number of factors: diet, exercise, age, family history or medical history. It can be controlled by minor lifestyle changes and medication, if appropriate. The most important thing is that you know about the condition so that you can address it - its untreated conditions that tend to cause trouble!

I must emphasise I'm not a medical doctor; this is my second-hand experience of the condition. If you're concerned, or feel unwell between now and your appointment, do talk to your GP.

All the best,
Gromit
High Blood Pressure - blue_haddock
Its not uncommon to get an unusually high result when your BP is tested -
many people's heart rate goes up in response to being in a doctor's surgery without
their being especially aware of it.

I had precisely this happen to me recently. Went to hospital for a pre-assesment and blood pressure was roughly 145/106, they said come back in a few days to have it checked again. Went back a few days later and it was up still. they refered me back to my doctors to have it looked at. Within 30 minutes of leaving hospital i had it done at my GP's and it was 131/81.

Over the next couple of weeks i had it done several times at the GP surgery at is was fine everytime. It's called white coat hyper-tension.
High Blood Pressure - Lud
>>
Its not uncommon to get an unusually high result when your BP is tested -
many people's heart rate goes up in response to being in a doctor's surgery

Quite right Gromit. My doctor calls it the 'white coat effect'. I don't suffer from it myself as a rule, but he said many do. Such patients have to be allowed to relax and calm down for two or even three measurements. Trouble is doctors don't have that much time these days.

To the OP: high blood pressure is treatable and if the nurses who measured yours didn't send you in to the doctor to have something prescribed, they should have. If no one has done so yet, see the doctor yourself and ask him or her to treat any high blood pressure condition you may have.
High Blood Pressure - FotheringtonThomas
I have just had my pressure measured and I have discovered that it is 170/70.

Same as me then. I have been told to take more exercise, lose a bit of weight (13st. 6lbs ->12st.7), and drink less booze.

Try Googling for "isolated systolic hypertension".

I don't believe that you can be 90, BTW, but I agree about the other thing.
High Blood Pressure - OAP
I too had problems with BP. Someone suggested that I should change to Shell. That cured it.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I?ve been watching Countdown and I've just had a spot of dinner.

Big Bad Dave

I have not been sexually active since 1992 but I thank you for your concern. I still have the occasion urge and I suppose that if I were in the market someone like Carol Vordermann would be my type

Normd2

I?ll knock ?em over and you head ?em in. Not the girls, of course.

Daveyjp

I should have made it clear that I am an elderly gentleman and that I am not ?with child?. I should add that I find your knowledge of ?women?s issues? is quite disturbing.

Gromit

Thank you for your wise words.

Blue_haddock

I am familiar with white coat hypertension. Before having an operation to repair a damaged artery in my rectum I was fairly pooing myself.

Fotherington Thomas

I assure you I am 90 but I will take your feigned scepticism as a complement. I have looked up ?isolated systolic hypertension? and I have to say that it hasn?t really put my mind at ease. I think that I will give the medical centre a call and see if I can arrange an earlier appointment. I am now slightly concerned that there may be something wrong with my heart and I think that it would be better if I had a full medical asap.

OAP

I?m very happy for you.

Thank you for all your help.
High Blood Pressure - Baskerville
I don't believe that you can be 90 BTW but I agree about the other
thing.

I'll be 104 next April. I haven't been sexually active since 1926, unless you count pigeon racing. And that afternoon with Mrs Mallard Struthers on the pier at Formby.
High Blood Pressure - piggy
As a sufferer from high BP I find it helps if you buy a DIY monitor ( Boots or similar). They might not be a 100% accurate,but over a period of time they will give a reasonable idea of what your BP is doing. I find it varies a lot during the day. And ditch the salt,I`ve found it`s easy after a while as a lot of foods already have a lot of salt in them. My doctor told me to stop eating bacon for example. It`s very salty, and the reduced salt one tastes like cardboard.Remember,only 6gms./day.
Fact is, my doctor wont let me have salt,my dentist wont let me have sugar,and the wife wont let me ...................!

--------------------------------

hurrying on- to a receding future
High Blood Pressure - Stuartli
>>on the pier at Formby.>>

Surely you mean Southport..:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Surely you mean Southport..:-)

Does that kind of thing happen in Southport? I wish I'd known earlier.
Just a tongue in cheek comment - there's no pier in Formby..:-)

My other half has suffered from high blood pressure for 40 years or more - it's meant she has suffered a range of serious illnesses along with several major operations (over the past 15 years in particular), even though she was on blood pressure tablets from the time it was first discovered.
Just a tongue in cheek comment - there's no pier in Formby..:-)

I know, I live near there.
High Blood Pressure - daveyjp
The exclamation marks indicate it was a tongue in cheek comment.

After my wife suffered pre-eclampsia during the latter stages of pregnancy where her BP reached 130/200 (this is not a typo) I learnt a few things about high BP. The basic hospital machine couldn't cope with such levels - it had to inflate the cuff to such an extent it produced an error every time.

Edited by daveyjp on 31/10/2007 at 20:21

High Blood Pressure - Hugo {P}
My wife and I both suffer from high blood pressure from time to time. Trying to sell a property at the moment doesn't help ;)

From the OPs comments, it seems that this may be the first time he has received such a diagnosis, not bad for 90!

I was diagnosed recently and was given an ECG and blood tests. Everything came out as normal/good but the high blood pressure remained. I had recently lost about a stone and a half in weight. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I was originally put on medication, but that reacted with me, so I told the GP who was happy for e to come off it. Since then the symptoms (headaches) have disappeared.
High Blood Pressure - Lud
I agree with Hugo about BigNose. He is obviously in very good nick. Doesn't mean he doesn't need to get his blood pressure treated though. Not everyone can do a ton, but he may be able to if he plays his cards right.

Foot Down BN!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 31/10/2007 at 21:57

I've a friend who will be 104 in a matter of days - you'd take him for 65-70 and he's still remarkably active and with a very quick brain.
High Blood Pressure - billy25
will be 104 in a matter of days - you'd take him for 65-70 <<

iv'e had a couple of friends like this (not 104 though, but perfectly healthy) who have gone to bed full of life... and never woken again. Not Heart attacks, just "natural causes" - never understood why? but it just happens.

Billy
High Blood Pressure - deepwith
Husband had high BP and was given a monitor to wear for 24 hours by his GP- his highest level was at 2.30 am when asleep - never did find what he was dreaming about that night ......
High Blood Pressure - Round The Bend
So ....... is BN our oldest Backroomer?
High Blood Pressure - Armitage Shanks {p}
I had heard it bandied about, in the hospital where I work, that an acceptable upper figure is one's age plus 100 but I think that would be a bit high. I am 3 stone overweight and my BP is 120/80, normally. Goodness knows how low it could be if I was a proper racing snake instead of a lard barrel! PS If you are trying to reduce your salt intake don't buy the delicious salted butter which has recently appeared in some super markets. Not just salted but actually has tiny grains of rock salt in it! Yummy but dangerous!
High Blood Pressure - J Bonington Jagworth
Don't let them put you on Statins. And keep away from the TV.. :-)
High Blood Pressure - FotheringtonThomas
Don't let them put you on Statins.

Why?

I am currently at a BMI of 25.5, therefore overweight. My cholesterol was measured at a figure that, according to thw Quack, "would have been OK a couple of years ago, but not now". I am having, when I can buy it cheaply, yoghourt that contains "plant statins". Is this bad? Why?
After 3 Heart attacks and a quadruple bypass, i've been takin Statins for years, (Pravastatin 40mg), been told that it is vital i take it, as it not only helps to keep Cholesterol down, but it also helps to prevent further heart attacks. In fact, new medical evidence was just released only a couple of weeks ago in the news, that stated that "Statins" continued to reduce Heart attacks in patients that had been taking them, for upto five years after they had stopped.
But,... the most important and powerfull drug you can take in the first minutes of having a heart attack is Aspirin, it has been stated that folk have a huge chance of survival if Aspirin is administered in the first 15 mins following an attack. I never leave home without them!, and i take a daily 75mg dose. Anyway, everybody over 50yrs "should" be taking a "low-dose" of Aspirin(75mg) daily, to help prevent Strokes/H/attacks, so my Cardiologist tells me!

Billy
>>huge chance of survival if Aspirin is administered in the first 15 mins following an attack.>>

The dose recommended in such circumstances is normally 300mg.
>>The dose recommended in such circumstances is normally 300mg.<<

Correct S,
300mg can save your life during/after an attack, however a daily dose of 300mg is too much too regularly, and can/will cause stomach problems, such as ulcers (which by the way if you already have, you should not take Aspirin except in an emergency!). A single 75mg dispersible tablet taken with food once a day, has been proved to reduce the clotability? of the blood sufficiently to significantly reduce Strokes/h.Attacks.

Billy (living proof of the above! ;-) )
>>however a daily dose of 300mg is too much too regularly,>>

I didn't say that - I pointed out that that was the normal dose given (hopefully) within the first 15 minutes i.e. the time you mentioned. Afterwards, the daily dosage will be decided by a doctor or consultant.

My wife had a stroke 14 years ago and after the initial Heparin/Wafarin treatment has taken Aspirin ever since - it still didn't stop her needing a triple by-pass operation earlier this year. She also has to have dialysis three times a week.

Not much fun.
High Blood Pressure - Clk Sec
>>A single 75mg dispersible tablet taken with food once a day

I?ve often wondered about the benefits of taking medication ?with food?. Does it really make any difference whether taken at a mealtime or at any other time, or is it that the thought of food might jog one?s memory?

Clk Sec
High Blood Pressure - L'escargot
I?ve often wondered about the benefits of taking medication ?with food?.

When taken on an empty stomach some medications can cause stomach problems.
--
L\'escargot.
High Blood Pressure - Clk Sec
Thanks, L'escargot.

Clk Sec
>>some medications can cause stomach problems.>>

Aspirin is particularly known for this with some people.
>>I didn't say that <<
me knows that! - i was just agreeing with you, but at the same time trying to point out, so that anyone reading this, and maybe thinking of starting to take regular Aspirin, doesn't simply go to the medicine cabinet every morning and starts "popping one". Most Aspirin is routinely sold by Pharmacies in the 300mg version, and is what people are usually used buying without really taking that much notice. However (eventually!) the point i was trying to make is - if you are thinking of taking it daily, 300mg is too much, Ask for 75mg tablets or you will get the 300mg ones almost by default.

p.s
hope your wife recovers ok, your right not much fun, but (for me 2yrs on) well worth the post-op suffering! - new me almost.
>>hope your wife recovers ok,>>

Thank you for your kindness - unfortunately it's just part of her problem and the main object of the NHS is to make her quality of life as good as possible.

By the way, if anyone says to me that the NHS is not as good as it used to be.....:-)

My wife has been/is being treated in hospitals in both Scotland and England and the level of care and treatment has always been of the highest standards.

Patients with "minor" ailments do tend to clog up the hospital system, but for the really serious illnesses it's as good, if not better, than anywhere in the world.
High Blood Pressure - drbe
>> A single 75mg dispersible tablet taken with food once a day has been proved to reduce
the clotability? of the blood sufficiently to significantly reduce Strokes/h.Attacks.
Billy (living proof of the above! ;-) )

But maker sure the aspirin is branded 'EC' - enteric coated - which is less harmful to the stomach and less likely to cause ulcers.
High Blood Pressure - J Bonington Jagworth
"Why?"

My comment about statins was prompted by a close friend who, having a number of older friends who had experience of them, made enquiries when he was told he might need them himself. It quickly became a case of the more he knew, the less he wanted to know! They seem to be implicated in all sorts of things, especially liver damage, which can be irreversible.

I'm fortunate in having a brisk metabolism that seems to hoover up anything I can consume, and my only general rule is to avoid processed stuff, so I have butter on my toast and full-fat everything else. I weigh 10 stone and have a low BP and cholesterol, which I mention only to back up my contention that your body controls your cholesterol level, not your doctor! You may be able to tinker with it, but there is no substitute for a sensible diet of unprocessed food, lots to drink, and a bit of exercise. I imagine you'd be safe with the plant statins in yoghurt, though.

There is any amount of stuff on the web re. statins and side-effects, but I thought this discussion worth a read:

www.dipex.org/community/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87
I had another appointment with the doctor yesterday afternoon and I had my blood pressure retaken. Sadly, it was still the same - 170/70. She listened to my chest and made me blow in a doo-dah and then decided that she would put me on some new tablets. She smiled, led me to the door, and told me ?don?t worry pet? as if I were a Chihuahua. I?ve got to go back in couple of weeks to see if they have made any difference.

Now I was feeling slightly more chipper about my prognosis for the future until I got home and looked up the name of the pills on Wiki. They are called Indapamide and are for the treatment of congestive heart failure. Congestive heart failure!!!

Well this was a bit of a blow to say the least. I have always thought that I had the heart of lion and rather hoped that I would die peacefully in my bed, preferably of a massive brain haemorrhage. One could say that I always preferred the thought of the human version of an ECU failure to the more messy and dramatic occurrence of a broken water pump.

The result of all this is that I am feeling a little low. What Churchill used to refer to as his ?little black dog? has been following me around all morning and no matter how much I try to kick the little fleabag it keeps reappearing after a good scratch.

This is quite troubling to me because I am not melancholic by nature and can?t abide self-pity. I think that I will go and have a lie down. I will think about friends long gone and girls of my youth. I will watch ?Come Dancing? later on and jeer at the little bald bloke. That?ll make me feel better.
>>I will watch ?Come Dancing? later on and jeer at the little bald bloke.>>

Ah, but Dom Littlewood has the advantage of holding an attractive lady very closely...:-)
Chipped sink repair - Statistical outlier
I'm kicking myself as I've just put a thumbnail sized chip in my brand new, not even installed yet ceramic basin. I've chipped off the rear corner, and the ceramic that's come off has shattered, so I can't glue it back on.

I'm looking for ideas for the best course of action. One I'm tempted by is to sell this sink on ebay as slightly damaged and then get another one, but I'd rather repair it if possible.

All thoughts appreciated.

P.S. Thanks to all of you that replied to my questions about surveys and so on months ago. Apologies for not posting then.
Chipped sink repair - jbif
You could try to repair with something like Araldite, or Isopon, or PlasticPadding ceramic kits.
www.hardware-ironmongers.com/Searcher.asp?product=...N

Chipped sink repair - billy25
Tell the shop that when you unpacked it you noticed it was damaged - you may get a replacement ;-)

Billy
Chipped sink repair - milkyjoe
just drape a face flannel over the edge and go grab a beer and relax
Chipped sink repair - Statistical outlier
Beer. Mmmm.

Probably the best solution.

I've already fixed the waste attachment, so the damaged when unpacked thing wouldn't fly (I wouldn't anyway, it feels dishonest). I'm now thinking that with tiles and grout, I may be able to almost completely hide it. Still annoying tho.
Chipped sink repair - buzbee
Diamond files are easy to come by and so you could consider gently filing the surface to get it to be a flat one, rather than ragged, and then coating that with something suitable.

It could make it look less like an accident.
Chipped sink repair - rtj70
That would be a tad dishonest ;-) But might work.

When installed and sealer put around is this in an area that would or could be covered by the sealer? Could you end up lucky it's the rear corner?
Chipped sink repair - henry k

Google "ceramic repair bathroom" produced. Can I share the beer?

Edited by Avant on 02/04/2014 at 18:05

Chipped sink repair - Clk Sec
What about trying the tiles that some people use around their bath instead of (or in addition to) sealant?

That should cover your chip.

Clk Sec

Chipped sink repair - Lud
Since the chip is on a corner against the wall, a bit of white waterproof grout smoothed off properly will do the trick. It won't be completely invisible but at least you will know you are in your own bathroom after a bacchanalian night on the tiles (no pun intended).

Our bathroom basin was damaged worse than that years ago by nippers doing bizarre things with it, ghastly little situationist thugs that they are (or in this case, were). It's still there, and it still gets a bit dislodged sometimes when the Brazilian cleaner girl is feeling a bit rough. Easy to pop back into place. Hasn't leaked yet.

Pity there isn't a smiley symbol for fingers crossed.

Edited by Lud on 01/11/2007 at 18:02

Bar Codes Calculation of EAN13 check digit. - pmh
I would like to automatically calculate the check digit for an EAN barcode number (12 digits) for use both in Access and /or Excel. (I know about web sites that will do it manually on a one-at-a-time basis, - but it would be much more time effective to automate it for the existing 300 products, and I am lazy anyway)

The longhand method is described as below, and whilst I am probably capable of writing the string manipulation code to do it, I will probably make so many mistakes that it will take some time. Does anybody have the prewritten code please? I cannot find any freeware sources, and most people want to sell complete sophisticated packages.

EAN-13 (UCC-13)

For more information about EAN13 and its application, read this article. The check digit calculation is very similar to UPC-A. Suppose you want to get the check digit for EAN13 number 101742256780.

Step One: From the right to left, start with odd position, assign the odd/even position to each digit.

Step Two: Sum all digits in odd position and multiply the result by 3. (0+7+2+5+7+0)*3=63

Step Three: Sum all digits in even position. (1+1+4+2+6+8)=22

Step Four: Sum the results of step three and four: 63+22=85

Step Five: Divide the result of step four by 10. The check digit is the number which adds the remainder to 10. In our case, divide 85 by 10 we get the remainder 5. The check digit then is the result of 10-5=5.

--

pmh (was peter)

Bar Codes Calculation of EAN13 check digit. - pmh
OK I have now done it for Excel - if anybody is interested I will post the calculation/manipulation formula when I return home.

I will be interested if there is a more elegant solution tho.
--

pmh (was peter)

Mathematical Homework - BobbyG
Can anyone help me with daughter?s Maths homework as follows:

If starting time is 2o?clock, at what exact time will the hour and minute hands be overlapping? Also, what formula can you use to calculate this?

Now using sheets and sheets of paper we have got an answer of 65.45 degrees which equates to 2:10:54 in time format. But this was done using loads of paper, assuming that every minute the minute hand moves 6 degrees and the hour hand 0.5 degrees. And breaking that down to seconds etc etc.

Looking at formula, I am looking at speed = distance/time where speed =degrees per min. Time =min and distance is the crossover point. I managed to get that to equal the same, 65.45 degrees but is there a quicker and easier way that will also give the answer to the formula in time as opposed to degrees?

Help!

(Hopefully Number Cruncher is still up!)
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Mathematical Homework - Lud
11 or a bit more minutes past two.

Don't ask me for a formula NC. That's your thing.
Mathematical Homework - AlastairW
How old is your daughter BG? I ask 'cos surely homework is her job, not yours. She will not gain anything educationally from you doing it for her, but will from getting it wrong 'under her own steam' and then letting the teacher correct her. I speak as someone who has difficulties with his 11 year old son's homework, yet earns a living as an accountant!
Mathematical Homework - hxj
The hands meet 11 times in 12 hours - so they cross every 12/11 of an hour

So if the starting time in hours is N the next crossing time is at 12N/11 or 10.9 mins past 2 in your case

Edited by hxj on 01/11/2007 at 23:53

Mathematical Homework - J Bonington Jagworth
"The hands meet 11 times in 12 hours - so they cross every 12/11 of an hour"

Very elegant!
Mathematical Homework - PoloGirl
You don't say what level this is but I think you're going into too much depth with your reams and reams of paper. I remember doing something that sounds similar to this for GCSE coursework, involving sheep in a field and the number of fence panels required to keep them in.

I think what they're asking for is as simple as:

When will the hands overlap if the starting time is 2, then what if the starting time is 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 etc etc

You will find that there will be a formula to link these start and overlap times, and it wont be as complicated as the degrees and things you've been looking at.

(I speak from experience of having my dad, an electrical engineer, help me with my homework and always go for the most complicated option first. Often after a night's sleep it doesn't seem so scary either!)

Alastair - sometimes you just need someone to sit with you and help you work methodically through things. I go into blind panic at the sight of numbers, but can usually do it once I've got the panic out the way, and dear old dad was patient enough to go through that with me!

Mathematical Homework - PoloGirl
Oh, and not that I would ever suggest your daughter does this, but if you google "hands overlap" + time, you'll get the answer from the Trinity site which is about the third link returned. The 11 twelfths thing isn't far off.

Mathematical Homework - L'escargot
Easy peasy.

The minute hand starts off at zero minutes past the "12" position; the hours hand starts off at 10 minutes past the "12" position. The minutes hand travels 12 time as fast as the hours hand. So ....... if x is the number of minutes past the hour at which the hands overlap then x = 10 + x/12, i.e. x= 120/11 = 10.9090 (90 recurring ?) past 2 o'clock.
--
L\'escargot.
Thanks for your answers guys, daughter is now away to school with a selection of formula.

She is in second year, was told this was fourth year work, and if any pupil could come up with the formula with help from their parents (or HJ), then the class gets a "prize" of some sort.

Think the idea is to try and stretch their thinking but also to get parents involved with homework!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
She is in second year was told this was fourth year work .........

I don't know anything about current grading, but in 1949 this was elementary algebra for an 11-year old in their first year at secondary school.
--
L\'escargot.
Snail man, trust me, things have changed dramatically since then!
Even since I was at school in 70s/80s things have changed. Sometimes the "solutions" to problems they are shown are unbelievable long ways of getting to the answer!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Well, BobbyG, as an old dog who is always ready to learn new tricks I'd be interested (and most likely amused!) to know what the teacher's method is ~ particularly if it's materially different from mine. Incidentally, I'm proud to state that I arrived at the answer without any mechanical or electronic aid whatsoever ~ not even pencil/pen and paper! We wouldn't have called it maths, merely mental arithmetic.
--
L\'escargot.
Mathematical Homework - billy25
>>I arrived at the answer without any mechanical or electronic aid whatsoever ~ not even pencil/pen and paper!<< ;-)

well if you were at skool in the 1940's things like the above would be scarce, so i believe teachers relied heavily on developing "mental" arithmatic etc preceisly to overcome the rescource shortage.
in fact one of my excuses for not doing my homework was that i had done it mentally but forgotten it! (it rarely worked!).
I then tried to get a "photgraphic" memory, but nothing developed!.

Billy

well if you were at skool in the 1940's things like the above would be
scarce

When I first started school we wrote on a piece of slate (admittedly in a wooden frame) using a "slate pencil". Honest!
--
L\'escargot.
Mathematical Homework - J Bonington Jagworth
"wouldn't have called it maths, merely mental arithmetic"

Tricky if you haven't learned your tables, though. I was shouting at the radio this morning when a minister (Lord Adonis, who must be a disappointment to his female colleagues) was trying to excuse the reading (in)ability of 11-year olds and opining that 'synthetic phonics' would sort it. Er, no. What would sort it is a few more households with books in, and the old-fashioned habit of reading at bed-time.

[/rant]
Mathematical Homework - horatio
l'escargot,

If you could be so good as to go over this bit in a bit more detail please

"x = 10 + x/12, i.e. x= 120/11 = 10.9090"

i.e. how you got the 'x' on the right hand side to dissappear?
Mathematical Homework - pmh
x = 10 + x/12

x-x/12 = 10 +x/12 -x/12 (doing the same thing to both sides!)

11x/12 = 10

11x =120

x=120/11

x=10 +10/11

x=10.909
--

pmh (was peter)

Mathematical Homework - bathtub tom
No-one semed to ask:-

How thick are the hands?
horatio, just in case you're really not joking ........... ;-)

pmh uses the right principle ~ do the same thing to both sides of the equation.

My steps were .........

(a) multiply each side by 12 which makes x = 10 + x/12 become 12x = 120 + x

(b) subtract x from both sides to get 11x = 120.

(c) divide each side by 11 to get x = 120/11.

Step (b) can also be done by knowing that if you transfer an item from one side of the equation to the other you have to change the sign, i.e. move x from one side to the other and put a negative sign in front of it. It amounts to the same thing as subtracting x from both sides. (If it had originally been -x it would be changed to +x when it was transferred.)

With practice you can do it mentally all at one go ~ including dividing 120 by 11.

I should have been an arithmetic teacher, me!
--
L\'escargot.
Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - horatio
Why do all the shoe polish tins have holes in the lid?

I think I just realised the answer. Is it because they used to be so difficult to open, so the hole lets air enter as you open it?

Edited by horatio on 02/11/2007 at 21:26

Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - Stuartli
I've never had a shoe polish tin with a hole in the lid.

Most have a turn key on the side - the rest you open with a coin.

I would imagine that with a hole in the lid the polish would dry up.
Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - henry k
Why do all the shoe polish tins have holes in the lid?
I think I just realised the answer. Is it because .........

>>
Them darn tin worms have finished eating Marinas

>>Most have a turn key on the side - the rest you open with a coin.
>>
Not in my household
The results of a quick survey are.
1 x turn key with a tiny hole in the side of the lid
1 x turn key with no hole ( Wet Pruf 44ml /1.57 fl oz)
2 x press one side and it pops open but NO hole.
1 x press one side and it pops open but NO hole ( Nikwax 102ml size - love these metric sizes)
0 x use a coin
( what an odd activity at this time of night - must get out more)

So I cannot agree with either statement.

Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - L'escargot
Our Lilley & Skinner tin doesn't have any holes. The method of opening I had never seen before ~ you press down on the edge of the lid where indicated and the lid pops open at an angle. I like it ~ it requires virtually no effort whatsover.

I've just noticed that henry k has has three like that. I'm L'escargot, I'm slow!
--
L\'escargot.
Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - Clk Sec
>>you press down on the edge of the lid where indicated and the lid pops open at an angle. I like it ~ it requires virtually no effort whatsover.

In my experience, little effort is required in opening these tins if used on a daily basis.

;-)

Clk Sec

Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - FotheringtonThomas
Some ("Cherry Blossom", etc.) tins do have a tiny pinhole in the lid. I put a bit of tape over it.
Shoe polish tins have holes in the lid - L'escargot
Some ("Cherry Blossom" etc.) tins do have a tiny pinhole in the lid. I put
a bit of tape over it.

Why? They must be there for a reason.
--
L\'escargot.
Ebay feedback - mrmender
Anyone any opinions on my problem.
I had a 1990 Transit van on ebay avertised as spares or repair selling with no MOT or tax the engine & box were 100% ok it was sold to me as gen mileage of 39,000
The body on the otherhand was a mess! I suspect it would need welding for for an MOT Not being a mechanic i stated i did not know what was required. I stated that the breaks were binding & discs were rusty. I thought i gave a fair description overall.
The winning bidder Phoned me right away, we agreed he'd pay cash on collection, 160 Quid he lived in Surrey i live in North Wales over 200 miles away. He arranged to come and pick it up in a couple of days. He then phoned to say that this would be another couple of days, took my post code etc for sat nav. He never came & was not answering any of the 2 phone numbers he left
2 days after he was suposed to come, I recived an email Via ebay from him saying the van was not as decribed & needed extensie welding to the chassis. He said that I should not leave him negative feedback, he would do like wise. This was 2 weeks ago
Whats got me going is, he SAYS he visited my property basicaly sneaked around and suposedly looked at the van then decided to leave it.
I think i should leave him very negative feedback as i find this sort of persons attitude untrustworthy
Ebay feedback - Martin Devon
He didn't turn up. He's just changed his mind methinks.

Regards.............MD
Ebay feedback - buzbee
The problem with leaving feedback is, if you sell again, the buyers will see his negative feedback. Do you want that?
Ebay feedback - Vin {P}
Be careful - the game nowadays on Ebay seems to be that if you leave someone negative feedback they will do the same. The only way round it is to leave it to the time limit (90 days, I think) and leave the negative right at the last moment so they don't have a chance to punish you for telling the truth about them.

Rather negates the point of feedback, all this tit for tat stuff.

V
Ebay feedback - blue_haddock
The 90 day feedback thing isn't accurate anymore. Personally i would start a non-paying bidder report to get your fees back and then re-list the van.
Ebay feedback - mfarrow
NEG HIM NEG HIM NEG HIM!!!!!

I'm sick of these parasites getting away with this sort of thing.

I have been involved in the sale of 3 cars on eBay, 2 of which attracted these timewasters. Often you don't find out (because people are scared of getting neg back) until you trawl carefully through the feedback and see "mutually withdrawn" or positive with "Guy couldn't collect car but was really nice about it" - ???!!

You can always comment on any feedback he leaves you underneath.

Edited by Webmaster on 09/01/2008 at 18:46

Ebay feedback - FotheringtonThomas
NEG HIM NEG HIM NEG HIM!!!!!

(snip)
You can always comment on any feedback he leaves you underneath.

That is exactly what I would do in the circumstances. Just state what happened, as baldly and unemotionally as possible in your negative feedback. If you get it returned, comment. When I buy, I inspect negative feedback is it seems worthwhile, and a tit-for-tat is usually plain to see from "the last word".
Ebay feedback - J Bonington Jagworth
It's like the first scratch on your new car - the first negative feels really awful, but the ability to reply helps, and you can make it clear if it's retaliative. Stuff happens, but anyone with half a brain can distinguish between deserved and undeserved f/b.

I hope so, anyway - I got some for bidding on an item that was wrongly categorised and then withdrawing when I realised I'd bought something different...
Ebay feedback - Altea Ego
Negative feedback is just as revealing to a buyer as bland "great ebayer" carp. Not all negative feedback is bad and often tells you more about the seller giving you confidence.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Programmable thermostat - central heating - JH
We have a Honeywell programmable thermostat controlling the central heating. It's about 10 years old but and it does tend to run the central heating for just a few minutes occasionally, which is useless. Have they moved on in ten years, are there any that will only run the heating for a sensible amount of time? It is a simple 2 wire thing so I'd be looking for something similar - can't be bothered channeling cables around the house!

Thanks,
JH
Programmable thermostat - central heating - Altea Ego
do you mean the stat or the programmer. -Most people have a stat in a room and a programmer near the boiler. Reason is the programmer can set hot water times as well as heating times. The stat just controls the heating.

I have a drayton digistat 1 - works well - simple two wire digital stat that has good hysterisis set in (ie its not constantly turning off and on at .5 degree changes)
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Programmable thermostat - central heating - pmh
AE

I have a programmable thermostat that allows you to profile the temperature during the day (upto 6 temp/time settings in 24hrs - with a separate profile for sat -sun). Also possible to override on a 'time session' basis which means it does not get left on a high temperature for an indeterminate time.

2 wire control with AA batteries for clock and memory.

Horstmann Centaurstat 7

Whether it is cost effective or not I dont know, but it keeps SWMBO away from fiddling. But a nice toy!
--

pmh (was peter)

Where to buy replacement drawer runners - pete&hisgolf
The drawer runners in my (IKEA) bathroom cabinet have broken. IKEA no longer sell the item. B&Q don't stock runners small enough and Google hasn't thrown up anything particularly helpful. Any suggestions where I can get small (ie, slim) drawer runners?

Thanks in advance

Pete
Where to buy replacement drawer runners - VR6
Not sure of size or type of runners you need, but Ikea sell them seperatley - i bought a set the other week so that i could put a draw into an ikea tv bench.