Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - Garethj
I'm sure that most of us had a copy or two of these great little books when we were young, even now it's the only place I've seen a Talbot Tagora!

Every parent wants to do the best for their children, so what's the modern equivalent of these fine books? My son isn't going to get very far with my 1981 edition unless we visit the Renault 12 owners club rally!

I'm sure someone out there will know what I need to look for?

Gareth
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - Pugugly {P}
Talbot Tagora!

Local Cops had one as a patrol car...
There's a 92 edition on Amazon....think you'll be struggling.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - bignick2
HJ posted a link approx a year ago to a downloadable catalogue.
I no longer have the link but the current catalogue can be bought from www.theworldofcars.com.
For older vehiclea Amazon list a number of encyclopaedia type publications.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - L'escargot
It appears to be still available tinyurl.com/2lz7p8

Alternatively, I'm sure a good bookseller could get one for you.
--
L\'escargot.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - Avant
But according to Amazon it was published in 1986, so it'll be of historical interest only. Since then the excellent Stuart Bladon seems to have retired - one of that select band of writers who love cars and can write good English.

A cheap way of getting what you want would be the What Car or Top Gear complete road tests - that'll have everything on the UK market.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - Tornadorot
The Daily Express used to, until recently at least, publish an annual magazine-style "World Car Guide", which used to keep me engrossed when I was a lad. Apparently Haynes do something similar now.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - OldSock
unless we visit the Renault 12 owners club rally!

Try visiting northern Cyprus! Just returned from a 10-day holiday there and was amazed to see so many of them still on the roads. I used to drive one many years ago so was amused to see one on our first day in Cyprus. Then another was spotted in the same morning.... and another..... after 35 I gave up counting!!

Must be as tough as old boots.
Interesting mix of cars in N Cyprus when we went two years ago. Old British cars and er everything else. Guess the Renault 12 was built in Turkey at one time. The other thing I noticed was the number of Army Defenders there, these are built by the Turks under licence I believe. Saw a number if Soviet bloc cars as well. Driving was interesting as well, especially when I was tanking down that Saudi funded dual carriageway towards Nicosia, Cops doing speed checks and jumping out in front of cars - scary.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - madf
My copy is 1959
madf
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - boxsterboy
Haynes do something very similar now - last Christmas we gave my 6-year old the 2007 version. He regularly flicks through it and has an encyclopedic knowledge of all cars (That's my boy!!). I can't remember what its called - something like 'Cars 2007'.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - Garethj
Haynes do something very similar now

You're right, thank you! Just found Haynes Car Guide 2007 on their website, looks like just the job.
Observer's Book of Automobiles - New Version? - boxsterboy
I would guess they might be bringing out a 2008 edition just in time for Christmas - it would make a perfect stocking filler!