Liability to employer due to car accident - flunky
A friend, who drives an M3, has been rear-ended by a driver on his mobile, while on his way to work. Said friend is an IT contractor who earns approx £500/day. Due to this he missed the day off work.

For tax reasons pretty much all IT contractors operate through a limited company (which is 100% owned by the contractor). ITCo Ltd. has the lost the services of my friend for one day. (Friend owns Ltd. Ltd employs friend. Ltd invoices client on a daily basis for each day worked by friend.)

Friend and his company are separate legal entities so my friend cannot himself claim for the loss of earnings. But can his company claim against the at-fault party? Anyone experienced this before?
Liability to employer due to car accident - Falkirk Bairn
>>But can his company claim against the at-fault party? Anyone experienced this before?

Yes
Liability to employer due to car accident - Bill Payer
You can claim anything you like; whether it gets paid or not is a different matter.

My complete guess would be:
If your friend loses a days pay from his own limited company then I imagine he could claim on his own behalf.
Regarding his ltd company claiming for its loss of a days income ? that strikes me as possibly being a more complicated, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The insurance company may pay a reasonable claim without question, simply because that?s the easiest thing to do.
Liability to employer due to car accident - PhilDews
I will let the 'proper' legal experts answer later, but at first glance I would suggest the company cannot claim. The incident involved your friend and the other driver, so the company is not party to the accident. I am presuming that the M3 is actually owned and insured by your friend, so there is no contractual involvement by the company.

I would suggest that the only recompense available is for your friends loss of earnings, but not his charge-out rate. The charge-out is something like consequential losses so is not recoverable.

Just my twopence...
I will let the 'proper' legal experts answer later but at first glance I would
suggest the company cannot claim. The incident involved your friend and the other driver so
the company is not party to the accident. I am presuming that the M3 is
actually owned and insured by your friend so there is no contractual involvement by the
company.

There is no contractual involvement anywhere: the other driver is liable. My friend's contract with his own insurance company is irrelevant, because the other driver is at fault (and admitting such) - that driver is responsible for his wrong doing, it is a tort, for which contract law is irrelevant.

I guess another way of looking at it is that my friend could possibly also claim in his own right, as he has suffered an indirect loss: his company will now make £500 less profit for the year, so he will receive £400 (after tax) less in dividends from it.
Liability to employer due to car accident - Baskerville
his company will
now make £500 less profit for the year so he will receive £400 (after tax)
less in dividends from it.

No, it will make £500 less income, but only if it doesn't fulfill the contract. Profit is what is left when he has been paid and all other costs taken into account. I assume he will still get to do the work he couldn't do as a result of the accident, or pay someone else to do it instead. I would say the loss of income to the company will be negligible if it exists at all and he is simply trying it on. Handling one-off issues like this is a fact of life and should be taken into account when scheduling a project. If he hasn't done that, more fool him.
No it will make £500 less income but only if it doesn't fulfill the contract.

I'm not sure if you understand how IT contractors operate. They are not working on their own: there are eight or so other contractors working on the same project, and the contract is fixed term, to come in Monday-Friday until the end of the contract. If the contractor does not come in on any day, the company does not get paid for that day, and there is no opportunity to work another day, because he is working every day till the end of February (or whenever the contract ends).

It's obviously anticipated that people will be away (in terms of resouricng), so one day going missing is of no major consequence to the client, but obviously the contractor is not paid if it does not provide resource.
Profit is what is left when he has been paid and all other costs taken
into account.

Indeed, and for IT contracting, costs amount to annual expenditure on equipment and software and very little else (transport is generally not claimable under HMRC rules). So yes, an extra days work charged at £500 does mean an extra £500 profit.
I assume he will still get to do the work he couldn't do
as a result of the accident or pay someone else to do it instead.

Nope, although you would have a right of substitution, this would not apply for a single day, because it would take a couple of weeks to acquire the in-depth knowledge of the system to be of any use.
I would say the loss of income to the company will be negligible if it exists
at all and he is simply trying it on.

The loss is exactly one day's charging - the charging is by the day, not fixed price for the job.
Handling one-off issues like this is
a fact of life and should be taken into account when scheduling a project.

Of course he can handle it, but my view is that I don't see why he or his company should be out-of-pocket a single penny because of an idiot on a mobile phone not braking in time.
Liability to employer due to car accident - Baskerville
That's clearer now, thanks.
Liability to employer due to car accident - injection doc
I too had ny own company ltd, with numerous employes & had a massive rear end shunt. You can claim for loss of earnings as employee & claim for company losses as well although its a complicated procedure. I had insurance at work for loss of an employee or director which paid a weekly rate while someone was off for sickness or injury & it was very good. I also had personal sickness cover which was worth its weight in gold although stressful to get started, having said that due to the size of rear end shunt I have been off work 18 months
Liability to employer due to car accident - ForumNeedsModerating
I work in this manner too - if your friend's company can claim, then presumably all other companies employing people could too - I haven't seen this happening, so presume it's not practical or practicable.

As an employee having lost a day's wages - if he/she is anything like most IT contractors, then the actual salary for that day will be quite small, possible less than the single person's allowance, pro rata for a day, i.e. £10-20. Most contractors have tiny salaries & big dividends. The dividend is usually decided at financial year end, so this makes any possible claim even more tenuous & difficult prove loss by.
Liability to employer due to car accident - martint123
I think Woodbines has it right here. The downside of having an artificially low salary.
The employee bit is irrelevant, and that wasn't the question anyway.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for the ltd co to claim - I would imagine most companies wouldn't do this as a) they couldn't be bothered, b) it's difficult to attach a daily value to most employees, unless they're in a job as the OP is where their hours are billable.
Liability to employer due to car accident - cheddar
I would have thought Phil Dews is right when he says:

>> I would suggest the company cannot claim. The incident involved your friend and the other driver so the company is not party to the accident. I am presuming that the M3 is actually owned and insured by your friend so there is no contractual involvement by the company.>>

The point is where does liability stop?

Flunky's friend has a rear end shunt, he can't fullfill a contract a loses out though the company he is contracted to also loses out because they cannot fulfil a comitment to their customer so they claim, their customer loses out because their supply chain IT system is not up in time so they claim, in turn their customer does not receive their automotive components in time due to the IT problems at the supplier so they claim, their customer does not get there car fixed in time because the components do not arrive so they claim, they cannot get to work and accordingly their employer cannot fulfil a comitment to their customer so they claim ..............................

Surely not.
The employee bit is irrelevant, and that wasn't the question anyway.

No. Even if that wasn't the question, the question or suppostition on which it was based was flawed.

The employee 'bit' is the only relevant part. The employer has no interest or relationship in/with the 3rd party, i.e. the person who caused or admitted liability for the accident. The employee, however, has, with both employer & 3rd party. The employer one assumes could, if it wanted seek compensation from the employee, since the employee has the contractual obligation to provide service to the employer & 'missed' a day's service for which the employer cannot bill for & suffered loss.

Following on logically from the above, the employee could be pursued for recompense by the employer (although you couldn't imagine any reasonable jurisprudence would support it) for the lost time and consequent financial loss to company. You could then reasonably assume, the employee might seek compensation for this from the third party.
Liability to employer due to car accident - rtj70
Your friend is probably paying himself minimum wage. That's probably what he can claim at best from the other insurance company - loss of wages. Other contractors and the project is kind of irrelevant too. If the company wanted to claim lost income it would probably have to claim against your friend - i.e. himself/

If we all tried claiming against someone for loss of dividend (which is paid if there's a profit and other factors will affect that) then this country would be in trouble.

If he "earns" £500 per day but his company charges him out and he takes most as a divident then:

- he's pretty dumb then. If we wants max income then dividends is not the "loophole" to use. He could get majority tax free you know.
- will he miss £500 for the hastle?

And if he missed a days work through illness or family problems who does he sue then?
Liability to employer due to car accident - MichaelR
And if he missed a days work through illness or family problems who does he
sue then?

Nobody, becuase its his personal issue.

Some numpty driving into him becuase they were too busy chatting on the phone should not be.
Liability to employer due to car accident - csgmart
- he's pretty dumb then. If we wants max income then dividends is not the
"loophole" to use. He could get majority tax free you know.

I know this isn't motoring related [sorry] - out of interest what is the most tax efficient 'loophole' to use? I only ask as this has recently come up as a serious topic of discussion at my work. There are 3 directors [of which I am one] and we are looking at paying ourselves a very low basic wage and then taking the rest as a dividend each month. From what I have been told dividends are taxed at only 10%.

If there are other [better] 'loopholes' it would be interesting to know them.

By all means take this conversation 'offline' by e-mailing me at martin.jaggard [at] blueyonder . co. uk

Liability to employer due to car accident - nortones2
You have an accountant? If not you need one. If it looks like wages, it appears monthly like wages, then it may be wages! Dividends from shares appear twice a year IIRC:)
Liability to employer due to car accident - local yokel
Ltd Cos can declare dividends at any frequency chosen by the directors/shareholders, Nortones. It makes the accountant's life harder, but it's not impossible to declare a dividend 12 x a year, so long as its trading is predictable and its customers don't go bust owing large amounts, or the co. simply loans the directors a monthly amount which is repaid on declaration/payment of the dividend.

Cats, skin, many ways ....
Dividends from shares appear twice a year

Quite right, just as 'interim' & 'final' do on consolidated tax info on your general shareholdings (if you have shares of course)

The acct. of the querying poster should provide all the compliance info he needs. Generally a quorum of directors (and company secretary) approve dividend payments & a 'note' is signed and lodged to that effect. The days when small company directors could just draw income, willy-nilly, are pretty much over. On the 'loophole' front - although it may appear like a freebie, many small companies' balance sheets & asymetric turnover profiles (or feast & famine) make the paying of a 'regular' income probelematical. You simply don't know till year end how it panned out, so a conservative salary & varying dividend stops overexuberance.

Sorry Mods, getting a bit non-motoring, so I'll stop.
There are 3 directors [of which I
am one] and we are looking at paying ourselves a very low basic wage and
then taking the rest as a dividend each month. From what I have been told
dividends are taxed at only 10%.

That's not the case at all. Suggest either several hours reading about tax, or appointing an accountant.

Basically you pay corporation tax on the dividend. This is (will soon be) 22% for companies up to at least £300k, tapering up to 30% at £1.5m If you pay a salary you don't pay CT on that amount.

Income tax is then 20% basic rate/40% higher rate, but you also pay NI of 23.8% (ouch!) up to about £40k, then 13.8% above that.

The purpose of the dividend payment is to avoid this NI.

The 10% is a nominal 'credit', not a tax. So if you are paid £900 dividend (which is out of post-tax profits), then you are deemed to have earned £1000. This is basic-rate tax paid, no further tax is payable: if your income goes above £40k you pay a further 25% (but you'd also pay that anyway if you paid a salary). You can make your spouse a shareholder and pay her the same way, but this is only worthwhile if she has no income.
If there are other [better] 'loopholes' it would be interesting to know them.
By all means take this conversation 'offline' by e-mailing me at martin.jaggard [at] blueyonder .
co. uk

Best speak to an accountant.
If the company wanted to claim lost income it would
probably have to claim against your friend - i.e. himself/

Hmm, if a person prevents a company's staff getting into work, say he seized a worker and chained him to the railings outside his office, and the company can easily show it has lost £500 as a result (because that worker is charged out at daily rate), it would surely be able to claim against the person.
If he "earns" £500 per day but his company charges him out and he takes
most as a divident then:
- he's pretty dumb then. If we wants max income then dividends is not the
"loophole" to use. He could get majority tax free you know.

You can get over 80% net with dividends if your spouse does not have any other income on £100k gross.

This is considerably better than NOT paying dividends.

Not sure how much you are looking at, and what your scheme is, but I haven't seen anything that costs (either tax or 'admin fees') less than about 15%, and most schemes increase risk of HMRC investigations.
It's not my scheme since I am full-time employed by an IT company.

But I do know of contractors that take advantage though and get the majority of their income each month without paying tax or NI.... and I think its wrong. They live in this country and benefit from the services provided via the tax system. Maybe not the best but not the worst. But when someone earning over £100k pays very little tax then something is wrong. But I am told some MPs use the same scheme and so it might not get closed any time soon.

So I won't say how they do this as contractors (but they do not work for their own company... that is no longer deemed the best way for them to avoid tax).
Liability to employer due to car accident - Mapmaker
>>So I won't say how they do this as contractors

Oh go on...
Liability to employer due to car accident - hxj

Sounds like either 'Island handshake' or companies that are caught by the new 'provider rules'. Of course they could just be fraudsters!

Despite what everyone says down the pub, it is really difficult for those earning £100,000 a year to avoid paying any UK tax any earnings arising from work in the UK.

"Of course they could just be fraudsters!"

They are within the law but I think they are fraudsters! They will use the services paid for by the tax they avoid all the time. Maybe if someone earning that much and doesn't pay tax they pay for the service at proper price when used including roads.
The point is where does liability stop?

Many insurance policies specifically exclude consequential loss for exactly the reason that it could go on for ever, but that doesn't stop a claim being made against the responsible person directly. Consequential loss is a well established principle - it stops where you can no longer prove a link.
Liability to employer due to car accident - Xileno {P}
"Consequential loss is a well established principle - it stops where you can no longer prove a link. "

BP, thanks for that very clear explanation, I have always been confused by the term.
Hmm, if a person prevents a company's staff getting into work, say he seized a worker and chained him to the railings outside his office, and the company can easily show it has lost £500 as a result (because that worker is charged out at daily rate), it would surely be able to claim against the person

Yeah - but that didn't happen did it? Someone simply had a bump, and for his own reasons & priorities did not attend work - he/she wasn't held against their will. Using your general priciple, if I catch a cold from someone, I can sue them for (potential) loss of earnings, if origin is proved - I think the consequential loss principle is veering off into the butterfly effect here.

I don't think (and I stand to be corrected here) you can sue on someone else's 'behalf', as would seem to be the case in your example, either.