Airbags, proximity, duty of care? - oilrag
Subject.

Airbags, proximity to driver and `duty of care` ( or moral obligation to advise, dealer, passing traffic Police etc.)

The situation,

A small frail looking elderly driver just pulled up at the side of me at lights.
I wouldnt mention those characteristics were they not relevant, regarding age, she looked very frail and diminished physically as though age related osteoporosis had taken its toll.

Relevant? Yes IMHO because she was driving a Punto with her chest inches from the steering wheel, it had to be like that to reach the pedals and her arms were almost bent double she was so close to the steering wheel.

So what if she has a bump and the airbag goes off?

Great driving as she got ahead of me at the lights and moved into my lane and following her through town she could clearly drive well.
It made my heart ache though thinking of that airbag, did she know how far it expanded (etc) and should anyone advise her.

Conclusion,

Should a selling car dealer have advised? or what about a police traffic officer pulling alongside as I did at lights and noticing.

Would you have advised her? Is there any `duty of care` where anyone (or organisation) should do so?

Regards
Airbags, proximity, duty of care? - Sim-O
but then what can anyone, the dealer, the police do? If she needs to sit that close to the wheel so her feet can operate the pedals, and SWMBO is only 5' tall so in a similar situation, she either risksit or can't drive anything that doesn't cost a bomb and have a adjustable pedal box or an old banger that doesn't contain explosives in the steering wheel.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Airbags, proximity, duty of care? - oilrag
Hi Sim-O, I was thinking of `Advice` to her and others in her situation. So an educated choice can be made by the driver, on the risks presenting.
(Not being convinced that all people in that situation are aware of the risks)
Sorry, should have made that clearer.

Regards
Airbags, proximity, duty of care? - Sim-O
Hi Oilrag.

I have to agree, it's not something that springs to mind, although it was SWMBO who pointed it out to me.
also people don't realise about not waering seatbelts with air bags can be quite nasty too.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed