Nissan 100NX problem - Mike Harris
We have a 1992 Nissan 100NX which has done about 80,000 miles. The car has developed a hesitancy which has not been cured by servicing, varying the make of petrol, tuning or the replacement of the lambda sensor. Any suggestions?

In addition the engine has become very clanky. Having decided to get the belts changed, my garage informs me that it's a timing chain which shouldn't need replacing. The service manual specifies replacing the timing "belt" at 70,000 miles. Apparently the time taken to reach the belt/chain is estimated at about 5 hours, so I'm loathe to get it looked at on "the off-chance". However, I'm concerned that failure of the belt/chain or of worn nylon tensioners/pulleys could have serious effects on the engine. Is it also possible that this could contribute to the above problem?

I'd be very appreciative of anyones' help.

Mike Harris
Re: Nissan 100NX problem - Darren
There is a known problem with Nissans of this age, both Sunny & Primera, Now i'm guessing this 100NX shares an engine with either of these.

The problem is caused by the car having a carburettor and a catalytic converter, not a happy marriage.

There's nothing actually WRONG with your car, its what we call a "characteristic"

There is a Chain rather than a belt for the camshaft, which should need no maintainance.

Get the roof off and enjoy the sunshine
Re: Nissan 100NX problem - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Mike,
If your car is indeed a "carb + cat" model Darren may be right. I have had at least three or four customers with a similar complaint which has proved impossible to erradicate completely. One owner got as far as their Nissan dealer admitting there was a problem with the carb(that was on a Sunny), and there was a "modification available", but at the £550 quoted it sounded to me like a new carb. She put up with it ! On one car we seemed to get an improvement by opening the plug gaps up to around 1.1mm (bigger spark copes better with over-lean mixture - used to work wonders on the EFi Montegos!!).
Regarding the "clanking", the timing chain SHOULD indeed be maintenance free, but should, never, can't, and guaranteed are words that should be avoided when discussing motor cars !! If the noise is definitely getting worse and coming from the chain area I would get it checked out.
Regards, Adam