Fiat punto temp gauge problem - caroline
I have a 1.2 yr 2000 fiat punto and whenever i stop at traffic lights the temp light comes on. I only have a light and not a monitor (ie like the speed meter). the light then goes of after i have been driving continuously for a period of time. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice as what to do about the light. is it serious or is it just a technical fault with the wiring and therefore not important. any help will be of use. thank you x
fiat punto temp gauge problem - Chris M
Do you mean the light comes on as soon as you stop, or does it come on if you have been waiting for a few minutes?

If it comes on after a few minutes, it could be a problem with the cooling fan not cutting in. You need to have that checked out soon as Puntos do not like overheating and could result in an expensive bill. Is it using any water?

If the light comes on as soon as you stop - I don't know. Perhaps a wiring fault somewhere?
fiat punto temp gauge problem - bell boy
As chris m says really have it checked before it gets expensive
fiat punto temp gauge problem - greatspirit
Agree; check cooling fan is working; make sure coolant level is satisfactory but do not overfill; check no air in cooling system; bleed valves on top of radiator and behind engine on the inlet manifold; could be impending head gasket failure though; good luck
fiat punto temp gauge problem - trevs
on puntos of that year allways check the fan, as i know of 3 snapping off and going through the rad, but i had mine for 4 years what a great little fun car they are
fiat punto temp gauge problem - trevs
sorry i forgot to say they do suffer from electrical probs tho, my heater fan stopped working when i turn it on the side lights came on it had a bad connection in the footwell took ages to find the fault good luck.
fiat punto temp gauge problem - greatspirit
check cooling fan comes on when car is stationary (take care tho'); however impending head gasket failure is most likely cause