When does your driving style change? - Simon H
Literature suggests that a drivers? range of acceptable behaviour, bound at the upper limit by a risk maximum and at the lower limit by a boredom threshold, is subconsciously set and continuously changing dependent upon journey goals, perceived capability and effort motivation.

It is known that both ?emotional state? and ?motivation to save time? are factors which can influence a driver?s behaviour in the short term. The literature also indicates that other factors are likely to have an effect; although it is not known what all the influential factors are, or their relative importance.

I aim, for the purposes of my PhD, to investigate the circumstances under which drivers change their behaviour in the short term (i.e. during a particular journey, from journey to journey and from day to day).

Initially, I intend to carry out some broad research around the subject of short-term influential factors on driver behaviour. I am hoping that people on this forum can contribute to the study by telling me, through examples of past experiences, about factors which they feel influence their driving behaviour.

For example, I was driving home on the A686 the other day. It is a glorious road with some fantastic bends. A lot of the time you are dancing between 2nd and 3rd gears. Anyway, the sun was shining and the roof was down, and I was on my own in the car. I'd been looking forward to the trip for about a week. On the hill-climb, I got stuck behind a Landrover, towing a trailer full of Canoes. I was missing out on loads of glorious hair-pin bends. I was really close, looking for an opportunity to pass, but the bends are tight and close and there wasn't an opportunity. Then, I rounded a bend in 2nd and saw a clear straight and went for it. I didn't think. Just saw it and went. In hindsight, it wasn't ideal, because if there'd been anything coming the other way at high speed, it might have been close.

The above is a situation where I raised my risk threshold momentarily, either that or overstepped my risk threshold. In any case, I took a risk that I wouldn't normally take and a lot of factors probably contributed to that. For example, the weather; the car; the engine noise; anticipation of the fun I would have; the road; being delayed; being on my own in the car and so on.

Please can you tell me about situations where your driver behaviour changed from 'normal'.

Looking forward to some interesting responses,

Simon
When does your driving style change? - madf
Age changes behaviour a lot.
Most people grow up and act responsibly.
madf
When does your driving style change? - Mad Maxy
Is your thesis going to be useful? Apart from being good enough to earn you a PhD?
It is assumed that drivers aim to remain in control of their vehicles in an effort to avoid being involved in road traffic accidents. The fact that accidents do happen, though, suggests that drivers sometimes lose control. ?Loss-of-control? events may be caused by drivers speeding up and momentarily raising task difficulty to a level where driver capability is insufficient to cope with demands. As such, it can be seen as important for the furthering of road safety to determine the circumstances under which drivers might, subconsciously or otherwise, raise task difficulty.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I should say my thesis will be useful. Surely, it is only when we know why drivers take risks that we can take steps to prevent them taking risks. Would you agree?
When does your driving style change? - bathtub tom
I'd be prepared to reply to you privately, but I'm unwilling to let the crowd that read this see what I had to say!
I'd be prepared to reply to you privately but I'm unwilling to let the crowd
that read this see what I had to say!

Tom, thanks, I'd love to hear what you have to say on the subject. You could either email me at: sjah999@hotmail.com or write to me at: Simon Heslop, Postgraduate Research Centre (G.03), Cassie Building,
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 7RU.

Cheers, Simon
I'd be prepared to reply to you privately but I'm unwilling to let the crowd
that read this see what I had to say!

Tom, thanks, I'd love to hear what you have to say on the subject. You could either email me at: sjah999@hotmail.com or write to me at: Simon Heslop, Postgraduate Research Centre (G.03), Cassie Building, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 7RU.

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - Lud
Very interesting project Simon.

Age does moderate one's driving as madf points out. There are watersheds too, crashes and near-misses, that teach one those hard lessons. Pray that they aren't too hard, because one is never too old to learn, willy-nilly.

Pray too that the maturing process and the crowded roads and vile politicians with their monkey-like fiddling with the law don't just make you give up. Quite a lot of people quite like cars but lack the energy for proper enjoyment of motoring in the present climate. One wonders how many real enthusiasts there are, people genuinely reluctant to give up making progress who don't want to capitulate and become teacher's-pet drive-by-numbers goddam modern amateurs, stiff, bad drivers. You can't blame people really but it's a bit depressing.

The incident you describe in yr OP is of course of a commonplace kind. However one learns to make such moments fewer and fewer. When you are young, depending on speed of reaction and often taking those kind of raised risks, you tend to have more heart-stopping near misses. If you don't experience these as having a distinctly unpleasant and threatening side you are a psychopath. And as long as you aren't one, that's how you learn.
Lud, thanks for your reply. I've raised some further questions as below:
Age does moderate one's driving as madf points out.

I am aware of this - and am trying to concentrate on short-term influences. Have you any thoughts on what factors influence your driving immediately? For example, do you drive faster when in a hurry? Do you drive differently with different people in the car? Do you drive differently depending on trip purpose and other factors such as road type and traffic levels? Perhaps length of trip? Do you ever have suddden bursts of speed? When? Why? Where? How? Alternatively, under what circumstances is your driving subdued?
There are watersheds too crashes and near-misses that teach one those hard lessons. Pray >> that they aren't too hard because one is never too old to learn willy-nilly.

Interesting - do you think crashes / near misses affect behaviour long-term, or do you think your behaviur will revert back to the way it was? Have you any past experiences you can tell me about?

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - Altea Ego
I have a few standard motoring traits and moods listed as

1/ Extremely fast, hooked up and hyper concentrated.
2/ Aggressive, asertive and bullying.
3/ Laid back, relaxed, toodling along,
4/ Curteous
5/ Stressed, angry, explosive risk taker.
6/ COntrolling (other road users)

All can be seen on their own, or mixed with other behaviours.

ie I can be 1, 2, & 6 at the same time: 3 & 4 at the same time, 2 & 5 at the same time.

1/ is usually by choice, dictated by mood and prevailing conditions, sometimes brougt on by time pressure

2/ Usually forced upon me by behaviour of others, survival intinct, or lack of time

3/ State of mind

4/ ditto

5/ time pressure, or forced upon me by others.

6/ All the time usually.

Most of the time I try and rebel again the time pressures and external influences and try and drive like 3.
1 is usually done for fun.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TVM Thanks for your reply - that is very interesting. I am wondering if you can expand on your reply, perhaps with some examples?
I have a few standard motoring traits and moods listed as

What kind of mood? Excited? Angry? Sad? Are you ever looking for a thrill? What conditions are conducive to this style of driving? Rural road? Motorway? Not much traffic? Can you give me any examples? What do you do if you set out for some excitement and some other factor gets in your way, for example heavy traffic? Can you easily, revert back to style 3?
2/ (Aggressive asertive and bullying) Usually forced upon me by behaviour of others survival intinct or lack of time

What sort of behaviour from other road users makes you adopt this style? Selfish behaviour? Stupid behaviour? Risky behaviour? Can you give me any examples?
3/ (Laid back relaxed toodling along) State of mind

What state of mind encourages adoption of this driving style? Can you give me any examples?
4/ (Curteous) ditto

ditto
5/ (Stressed angry explosive risk taker) time pressure or forced upon me by others.

In what way can others force you to adopt this style of driving? By time pressure, do you refer to deadlines / commitments that you cannot afford to miss or personal expectations of journey time? Again, can you gie me any examples?
6/ (COntrolling) All the time usually.

In what way are you controlling of other drivers? Do you follow closely? When aren't you controlling? Why? Examples?
Most of the time I try and rebel again the time pressures and external influences
and try and drive like 3.
1 is usually done for fun.

Personally, I am interested in gaining a deeper understanding of when you drive 'extremely fast hooked up and hyper concentrated'. When, why, where, and how do you switch it on and off? Is it a concious decision?

Cheers, Simon
Age changes behaviour a lot.
Most people grow up and act responsibly.
madf

Thanks madf - I was trying to get at immediate circumstances which influence driver behaviour - Have you any thoughts on that? Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - LHM
I just hope your luck holds out long enough to complete your thesis.....
When does your driving style change? - The Lawman
The biggest moderator of driving behaviour from my point of view was changing from using my car for pleasure and the odd work related trip, to having to commute 100 miles a day.

When I began my commuting, I was in "old" driving mode, ie constantly on the lookout for overtaking opportunities, getting angry and frustrated when stuck behind lorries/tractors/dawdlers etc.

Eventually the truth dawned. doing these things was not going to get me to work and back any quicker, and were just winding me up.

Now I like to think that my commute is done in a state of Buddhist like calm, and that this has rubbed off on all my other driving as well. I still have my moments though.

I am ashamed to have to admit that when I do drive badly, it is usually because i am in some way trying to be competitive with another driver (usually a bloke but not always) who I have perceived as "trying it on".
I would agree with Lawman about daily mileage, either as a commuter or as in my case a minicab driver in South London. Requirements of the trade meant changing from hooligan to very careful and canny press-on driver, a distinct step in the right direction.
I would agree with Lawman about daily mileage either as a commuter or as in
my case a minicab driver in South London. Requirements of the trade meant changing from
hooligan to very careful and canny press-on driver a distinct step in the right direction.

Lud, do you always drive in the same way now? Do you never have bursts of speed, or alternatively, do you never just want to go slow?

Cheers, Simon
>
do you always drive in the same way now? Do you never have bursts
of speed or alternatively do you never just want to go slow?
I drive generally in a much more relaxed fashion than I did when young. One of the most valuable skills acquired with experience is the cognitive one of unconsciously but accurately analysing what's going on ten or twenty seconds in front of the windscreen. Instead of reacting to circumstances late and quickly, one reacts to them almost before they occur and therefore much more gently. It doesn't slow you down but it does make the whole process much less fraught.

One's speed is normally limited by other traffic, and I try not to let that bother me. I don't tailgate and I do try to facilitate traffic flow. Sometimes everyone around you seems to be driving well, and that's good for your driving. Sometimes it's the other way round, and yes, you do get infected. On empty roads I go a bit over the limit where suitable, not enormously over it. Cameras are a constant distraction these days, and dangerous in my (minority) opinion.

I suppose it's worth pointing out that I am a lifelong speed limit breaker who has driven really fast on very few occasions. Still like to get on with it though. Flow and elegance are more satisfying than the astonishing journey times that have become so risky and difficult these days.
Flow and elegance are more satisfying than the astonishing journey times that have become
so risky and difficult these days.

For me too - it's all about being smooth, a bit fast, but mainly just smooth. I love making the car dance - you know, when it's revving and feeling good and sounding good, and you're powering gently round the bends, hopping through the gears... maybe it's just me
The Lawman, thanks for your reply. I've got a couple of further questions:
Now I like to think that my commute is done in a state of Buddhist
like calm and that this has rubbed off on all my other driving as well.
I still have my moments though.
I am ashamed to have to admit that when I do drive badly it is
usually because i am in some way trying to be competitive with another driver (usually
a bloke but not always) who I have perceived as "trying it on".

Are having your 'moments' and 'driving badly' the same thing? If not, can you tell me when, why, where and how you have your 'moments'? Can you give me any examples? Can you expand on the circumstances under which you drive badly and again, give me any examples?

Cheers, Simon
I just hope your luck holds out long enough to complete your thesis.....

Thanks. I like to think that I am not reliant upon luck. This might be tempting fate, but I don't think, generally, I take risks. Yes, I enjoy driving fast on bendy country roads and immersing myself in the experience but only when conditions allow. I'm talking about doing less than the national speed limit on roads with a low design speed. I love getting in the flow and pushing the car and feeling it slide, but only when I am in control and conditions allow. I don't do more than 60mph on the motorway - what's the point. I don't race between lights in town - those people are idiots. I drive with the aim of conserving fuel (I am a student after all) except when I can have a burst on a quiet country road when I do it for fun - because it is.
When does your driving style change? - Hugh Watt
There's a dual-carriageway hill close to where I live, with no speed restrictions. I drive down it normally at an unhurried 50mph or so. Coming back up the pedal is invariably closer to the metal at over 60. The downward journey: to work...! As I write it down the psychology seems embarrassingly simple, but it took me years to realise what I was doing.
There's a dual-carriageway hill close to where I live with no speed restrictions. I drive
down it normally at an unhurried 50mph or so. Coming back up the pedal is
invariably closer to the metal at over 60. The downward journey: to work...! As I
write it down the psychology seems embarrassingly simple but it took me years to realise
what I was doing.

Eddie, that's interesting - I've heard from other people who drive differently on the way to and from work.

Can you tell me any more about how, why, when and where your driving behaviour changes in the short-term? Is whether you're on your way to work, or on your way home the only factor which seems to affect the way you drive?

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - L'escargot
Please can you tell me about situations where your driver behaviour changed from 'normal'.

I have two styles of driving depending on whether I am alone or whether 'er indoors is a passenger. She is a non-driver, watches the speedo like a hawk (never notices the scenery!), and demands that the speedo reading doesn't exceed the limit. She doesn't understand or accept that speedos always read fast, sometimes as much as 10%. She doesn't understand that sitting in the passenger's seat gives a parallax error which makes the reading look higher than it actually is. She doesn't understand that modern cars have cornering powers greatly in excess of that of a horse and cart. I have one journey that I do frequently on my own and I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before I ring her to let her know I have arrived safely ~ anything for a quiet life!

My two styles are (a) slow and boring when 'er indoors is a passenger and (b) spirited when I am alone.
--
L\'escargot.
You simply must explain to the lady escargot. I'm sure this is bad for you.
When does your driving style change? - L'escargot
You simply must explain to the lady escargot.

I used to ~ frequently. However I found it was like banging my head against a brick wall ~ it was nice when I stopped!
I'm sure this is bad for you.

As we used to say "You wouldn't chuckle"! It's only the fact that she's a good cook that stops me from getting a divorce!
--
L\'escargot.
When does your driving style change? - a900ss
Children - I believe that they change your values when you have them. I feel I don't need to rush as much now.
Children - I believe that they change your values when you have them. I feel
I don't need to rush as much now.

Do you never rush now? Do you never momentarily raise the difficulty of the driving task by speeding up or alternatively lower your capability by putting on music or having a conversation?

If you do sometimes raise / lower the task difficulty (probably by driving faster / slower than usual) when do you do it? Why, where and how? Can you give me any examples?

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - Dulwich Estate
Thankfully, I don't commute any more and if at all possible choose my own time to go out by car (about 09.45 to say 14.45).

I live in what is usually a calm residential area but it can be a bit of a peak-time "cut-through". In the mornings the traffic is busy but relatively slow and peaceful. When they're all coming back at 16.30 to 18.30 I can hear engines revving, the screech of wheel spin, the thump of landing hard after taking the speed humps too fast and at least once an evening a horn hooting.

A definite change of driver behaviour there then.
When does your driving style change? - Mad Maxy
Sorry Simon H, I'm not convinced. How much can you influence human behaviour? Only a little bit, IMO, and it takes ages. Better driver education might help, but the lessons need to be repeated as they tend to be forgotten.

The best way of improving road safety would be to remove any element of discretion in the way people drive, apart from selecting a destination and a route. Maybe you'd be considering significantly reducing speed limits and introducing more 'traffic calming'?

Less cynically, some sort of psychological profiling might help; deny licences to those who don't 'fit'. After all, independent motorised access to the roads shouldn't be a right. Or should it?
When does your driving style change? - jc2
My driving style has changed with change of car;my latest has turned me into a "hooligan".
When does your driving style change? - tack
My mood changes when I drive an auto box. I chill and relax so much more. Coupled with driving in France on their motorways and country roads, I am almost comatose. I think driving in UK is stressful and too competative. Soon as I get off boat and onto M20, stress levels rise at behaviour of other drivers. It is actually hard to innocently go about your business driving properly and with common sense without someone giving you the five knuckle shuffle sign.
When does your driving style change? - DrS
There's nothing changes driving style quite like getting flashed.
There's nothing changes driving style quite like getting flashed.

I take it you mean getting flashed by a speed camera? Does that make you slow down everywhere, all the time, for good? I doubt it.

Why did you get flashed anyway? Aren't they big yellow boxes which you can see from miles away?

Simon
>> There's nothing changes driving style quite like getting flashed.
>>
I take it you mean getting flashed by a speed camera? Does that make you
slow down everywhere all the time for good? I doubt it.
Why did you get flashed anyway? Aren't they big yellow boxes which you can see
from miles away?

You might actually mean that getting flashed by other drivers changes the way you drive?

If this is what you mean, sorry for implying that you can't see speed cameras.

I don't think being flashed by another motorist has the slightest effect on me. The only ocassions when I am flashed are by a car I've just overtaken, or by an oncoming car when I'm overtaking.

In the case of a car I've just overtaken flashing me, it is always because I've had to kind of push my way into a small gap because they're driving too close to the car in front anyway, with no intention of ever passing it - idiots.

In the case of an oncoming car flashing me when I'm overtaking, I think they're just adopting some 'king of the road' mentality. It's never even close. Idiots.

Simon
When does your driving style change? - Group B
I take it you mean getting flashed by a speed camera? Does that make you
slow down everywhere all the time for good? I doubt it.
Why did you get flashed anyway? Aren't they big yellow boxes which you can see
from miles away?

I've been done twice by speed cameras, and it slowed my driving down too. Both times it was a mobile camera van that got me before I saw them (one was over the brow of a hill). For nearly a year I had 6 points on my licence and didnt want 9 points, so decided that instead of buying a camera detector I would drive a bit slower, which has worked for 4 years and counting.

By far the most frequent short-term effect on my driving is running late for a meeting/ appointment, etc., where I will drive faster than normal. I like to think though that that when doing so I may be putting my licence at slightly increased risk but not an increased risk of collision. I drive slower than I did in my 20's.

Passengers: I sometimes drive a bit slower with my girlfriend in the car and always slower with parents in.

Other cars: Now I do more than double the annual mileage I used to do, I try hard not to get wound up by other drivers actions. But I can get wound up by drivers with bad lane discipline, lack of indication, those that are generally ignorant, selfish, or inept.
I can sometimes get impatient behind drivers dawdling along way below the speed limit, and will overtake when I get the opportunity.

Re: Luds point about 'watershed moments'. I spun off a wet corner into a wall and wrote the car off when I was 19; a simple case of going too fast for the conditions. I learnt from it, but as I was at Uni without a car, doing very little driving at the time it took a long time to get my confidence back on wet roads.
My driving style has changed with change of car;my latest has turned me into a
"hooligan".

Okay, what did you drive before? What do you drive now? In what way has it changed you into a 'hooligan'? Are you a hooligan all the time? Assuming you aren't always a hooligan when behind the wheel of your new motor, when, where, how and why are you a hooligan? When aren't you?

Cheers, Simon
Sorry Simon H I'm not convinced. How much can you influence human behaviour? Only a
little bit IMO and it takes ages. Better driver education might help but the lessons
need to be repeated as they tend to be forgotten.

I agree - it is difficult to change people's attitudes - rather attitudes towards good driving probably ought to be ingrained from an early age and through education - problematic and not very effective as you say.
The best way of improving road safety would be to remove any element of discretion
in the way people drive apart from selecting a destination and a route.

I agree again, but a situation like that would be a long way off if it vcould ever happen.
Maybe you'd be considering significantly reducing speed limits and introducing more 'traffic >> calming'?

Probably not speed limits - though I think traffic calming is a good thing. Speed limits are only one factor in a driver's diecision whether or not to speed. Loads of other facors are important: capability, focus, effort, goals, driving task difficulty, risk threshold, boredom threshold, state of mind, alertness, pressure, stress, and the list goes on. Yea speed limts play a role, especially in urban areas, but not really on other roads.
Less cynically some sort of psychological profiling might help; deny licences to those who don't
'fit'. After all independent motorised access to the roads shouldn't be a right. Or should
it?

Can you say that all sensation seekers (SS) pose a threat to road safety and should therefore not be able to hold driving licenses? I don't think so, firstly because there is a lot of contradictory evidence which shows SS do / don't have higher accident records. Secondly, that would be an infringement of human rights, or similar.

Rather than the way people drive being determined by their psychological profile - it can't be - there's loads of work in this area with contradictory findings galore - the next thing to do is look at when, why, where and how individuals take risks.

My work is setting out to investigate the circumstances under which a driver might change his / her preferred range of task difficulty in the short-term. This is important because when drivers let their risk thresholds rise to a level where task difficulty exceeds capability they pose a threat to road safety. If I know when, why, where and how drivers take risks such that road safety might be compromised then I can take steps to minimise the chances of those events happening. That might include, as an example, not allowing young males to drive with a group of peers. Alternatively, I might be able to give a group of drivers who raise their risk profiles when angry, anger management training, or similar.

Thoughts?

Simon
L'escargot, thanks for your response. I've got another question for you?
I have two styles of driving depending on whether I am alone or whether 'er
indoors is a passenger.
My two styles are (a) slow and boring when 'er indoors is a passenger and
(b) spirited when I am alone.

Are you always 'spirited' when driving alone? If not, when are you spirited and when not? Can you give me any examples? How does having other passengers in the car affect your driving style?

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - P3t3r
I would suggest reading "Mind Driving: New Skills for Staying Alive on the Road". I haven't read it (yet), but I suspect it may help you and certainly be an interesting read.

There are loads of factors that affect my driving, I will list some of the most obvious ones:
Caffine - Alcohol could also have a more dramatic effect, but I obviously don't do that!
Distractions - music (style/speed will make a difference), people talking in the car, and also distrations outside, signs, nice views, and (obviously) women etc.
Passengers - usually a smoother ride with passengers
Fear/shock - road rage incidents, very dangerous driving, and near misses
Being late
Tiredness and stress - ability to concentrate

I also find that being a passenger in cars with other drivers can effect my driving significantly. If I am a passenger in a car with somebody who tailgates I may find myself driving a little closer than usual next time I drive. When I do this I feel a little uncomfortable, but have to conciously increase the gap.

As an advanced driver, I generally don't get upset about being stuck behind people. I will sometimes overtake slower vehicles, but only when I feel it is safe to do so, and it is done in a controlled manner. I generally only suffer from 'red mist' when I am scared.
Thanks for your response. I have a couple of further questions:
I would suggest reading "Mind Driving: New Skills for Staying Alive on the Road". I
haven't read it (yet) but I suspect it may help you and certainly be an
interesting read.

I'll look it up; it sounds interesting.
There are loads of factors that affect my driving I will list some of the
most obvious ones:
Caffine - Alcohol could also have a more dramatic effect but I obviously don't do
that!
Distractions - music (style/speed will make a difference) people talking in the car and also
distrations outside signs nice views and (obviously) women etc.
Passengers - usually a smoother ride with passengers
Fear/shock - road rage incidents very dangerous driving and near misses
Being late
Tiredness and stress - ability to concentrate

Can you give me any examples of the above factors influencing your driving style.

I also find that being a passenger in cars with other drivers can effect my
driving significantly. If I am a passenger in a car with somebody who tailgates I
may find myself driving a little closer than usual next time I drive. When I
do this I feel a little uncomfortable but have to conciously increase the gap.

I wonder why that is? Perhaps you admire the other person, and aim to drive like them?
As an advanced driver I generally don't get upset about being stuck behind people. I
will sometimes overtake slower vehicles but only when I feel it is safe to do
so and it is done in a controlled manner. I generally only suffer from 'red
mist' when I am scared.

Can you tell me when, why, where and how you get scared? Can you give me any examples?

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - P3t3r
>>
>> There are loads of factors that affect my driving I will list some of
the
>> most obvious ones:
>> Caffine - Alcohol could also have a more dramatic effect but I obviously don't
do
>> that!
>> Distractions - music (style/speed will make a difference) people talking in the car and
also
>> distrations outside signs nice views and (obviously) women etc.
>> Passengers - usually a smoother ride with passengers
>> Fear/shock - road rage incidents very dangerous driving and near misses
>> Being late
>> Tiredness and stress - ability to concentrate
Can you give me any examples of the above factors influencing your driving style.

I could do, but I'll let you think some up for yourself, it's pretty obvious how they can effect your driving.
>> I also find that being a passenger in cars with other drivers can effect
my
>> driving significantly. If I am a passenger in a car with somebody who tailgates
I
>> may find myself driving a little closer than usual next time I drive. When
I
>> do this I feel a little uncomfortable but have to conciously increase the gap.
I wonder why that is? Perhaps you admire the other person and aim to drive
like them?

No. If you're doing Psychology (maybe?) then you're probably the best person to explain this. I think it's a sub-concious thing, I generally don't think about my following distance, it's done subconciously because I have done it so many times I don't need to think about it. My subcouncious will probably relearn what it thinks is normal when I'm a passenger. I suspect this is how some people become tailgaters, they do not conciously think about their following distance and over time they will get closer without reallising it. Going a few years/months without an accident will not make the person question their driving habits. I regularly think of the two second rule to make sure I don't fall into any bad habits.
>> As an advanced driver I generally don't get upset about being stuck behind people.
I
>> will sometimes overtake slower vehicles but only when I feel it is safe to
do
>> so and it is done in a controlled manner. I generally only suffer from
'red
>> mist' when I am scared.
Can you tell me when why where and how you get scared? Can you give
me any examples?

Just about any near miss, or serious road rage incident.

A driver was once tailgating me very close, and he then overtook, almost forcing me off the road. I'm not sure whether he was really trying to force me off the road or whether he was just a really bad driver. I was shaking for the rest of the morning though. More minor incidents can also be frightening, any sort of aggressive behavior can be frightening, especailly when you've experienced some extreme behavior from other road users.
When does your driving style change? - Cliff Pope
Lud made an interesting observation earlier about people learning from hear-stopping near misses - those who can't being psychopaths.
On the very very rare occasions thankfully when I have had a near miss, mine or someone else's fault, I have usually felt the need to pull in and recover. It is truely frightening to contemplate an accident that came close to happening.

But I fear that quite a significant proportion of drivers are immune from that reaction, perhaps either because they have blithely not noticed the danger, or else because it gives them a shot in the arm and a feeling of immortality.
I have witnessed many time an overtaker who cuts it fine and gets flashed by an oncoming car, but who far from slowing down and keeping in, is immediately out across the road taking out the next car. They obviously have no sense of shock at all.

So assuming that I have correctly identified such types as a danger, perhaps psychotic, then presumably they would be the targets of psychological testing and banning from driving. What would be the consequences of banning perhaps 10% of drivers on that basis? Are they amenable to education and training? Do they perhaps have other necessary qualities that the country needs?

As to the OP's specific question, I would include:

When you personally own the car and have to bear the costs of any damage
When you have passengers
When distracted by conversation, radio or music
When you are unsure of an unfamiliar route
When you do your own maintenance and repairs, and know that some component is a bit dodgy
When you have a family, either in the car or at home waiting for you
When concentrating on other matters - worry, etc.
Cliff,
As to the OP's specific question I would include:
When you personally own the car and have to bear the costs of any damage

Do you drive more passively when you own the car? Do you drive aggressively when you don't? Can you give me any examples?
When you have passengers

Do you moderate your driving style with all passengers? Why? Can you give me any examples?
When distracted by conversation radio or music

Does being distracted make you ease off? Is there any kind of music that makes you drive faster? Can you give me any examples?
When you are unsure of an unfamiliar route

Does this make you drive more slowly? What if you get hopelessly lost in a road environment where it is impossible to pull over to consult a map - for example in a big strange city? Do you ever 'blow a fuse' and just go mad? I do. I absolutely can't stand getting lost, and can end up going round and round in circles getting increasingly worked up, and driving increasingly agressively. Stupid - I know.
When you do your own maintenance and repairs and know that some component is a
bit dodgy

I guess this makes you ease off again? What about if you'd just repaired the car, or even made a performance enhancing modification? Would you need to go fast to test it out? Any examples?
When concentrating on other matters - worry etc.

Are you less focussed on the driving task when you are thinking about other things? Does this make you slow down? Again, any examples?

Cheers, Simon
When does your driving style change? - stokie
The likelihood of starting a dodgy overtake for me increases with:
-the length of time I anticipate being behind the slower driver
-my knowledge of the road ahead, if I know there'll be no more chances for X miles I'll go now
-just how wilfully slow the driver in front seems - only recently realised lorry speed limit is 40mph on single carriageway A roads, so used to class any lorry doing 40 as
-the number of miles I do in a week, if I have a few days off from driving I'm much more patient
When does your driving style change? - leef
When I'm on familar roads I tend to speed more than I should, especially the M66 and parts of the M60.

When Im in the company car (Audi A4) I drive faster than in my own and seem to care less about the car knowing it isn't mine, i.e. I take more risks in the company vehicle.

the time of day also makes a difference, for some reason I drive more aggressively at night time?

My mood has plenty to do with it I suppose, nice sunny day, stress free day at work. I'll cruise home being very cuorteous to other motorists. Stressful day, not to happy, drive faster and nobody is being let out etc.

Lee

When does your driving style change? - OldSkoOL
Long thread which i haven't read any responses yet but 1 thing sticks out for me here. My driving style changes depending on the safety.

If i am in traffic traveling to and from work i keep plenty of distance in front and behind, easy on the breaks do no1 shunts me and keep speed realistic for the conditions. When i'm around at the weekend and especially driving down country roads there is more scope for fun and bit of exciting acceleration. But to put a boring slant on things, speed only when safe and to maintain the ability to brake given your visible distance.

So ultimately my driving style changes depending on the traffic and road conditions.
Long thread which i haven't read any responses yet but 1 thing sticks out for
me here. My driving style changes depending on the safety.
If i am in traffic traveling to and from work i keep plenty of distance
in front and behind easy on the breaks do no1 shunts me and keep speed
realistic for the conditions. When i'm around at the weekend and especially driving down country
roads there is more scope for fun and bit of exciting acceleration. But to put
a boring slant on things speed only when safe and to maintain the ability to
brake given your visible distance.
So ultimately my driving style changes depending on the traffic and road conditions.

Thanks for your response - I hear what you're saying - I sit at 60mph on the motorway / dual carriageway but give me a bit of single carriageway (A-road is okay but B-road is best) where I can 'get in the flow' and I'll turn off the stereo and drive. I just love to immerse myself in the experience. I love finding the limit when safe to do so; just a little twitch from the back - that's nice.
When does your driving style change? - DP
I agree with what others have said, about it depending on what and with whom I'm driving. Most of the time now, I'm either commuting in traffic or have the kids in the back, so tend to drive very conservatively.

The hardest I've ever driven on the road, for the longest period of time was when returning from the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2003. I was in a Peugeot 306XSi and my mate was in his Celica 190. We observed all speed limits through the towns and villages, but adopted an "anything goes" mentality everywhere else. No kids in tow, no speedo-watching SWMBO's, just a like-minded passenger each.

Despite the speeds being covered, I don't recall ever having a "moment" where I thought I'd lost control or something unplanned happened. Overtakes were well planned, and silliness on corners, of which there was a heck of a lot, was only done when the view through and out the other side was clear. I was, as some others have mentioned, in the flow. There was no stereo on, and no chat with the passenger. Just lots of concentration, and a deep enjoyment of one of the best handling FWD cars ever produced (if not THE best).

When we got to the other end, we both got out with broad grins on our faces, but feeling very, very tired. As the cars sat ticking and pinging to themselves, there was no bravado or "did you see such and such?" Just that great, satisfying glow you get when you've really, really enjoyed yourself. I have never done this again since, or felt this way after getting out of a car.

What helped I think in this case was that both cars and drivers were quite evenly matched in terms of cross country speed, and risk-taking judgements. This avoided the situation where a full on "race" occurred where one driver pushes himself or his car above their comfort zone, and risks having a major accident. Certainly I have been in situations, particularly on group rideouts on the bike, where a significantly more skilful rider disappears off, and you have to verbally tell yourself to stop being a prat and trying to catch him. Group driving / riding can be very dangerous unless you are very disciplined.

Even typing this, I don't recognise this person compared to the diesel / MPV driving sensible dad today, but I would hope in a similar situation today, I wouldn't be too "old" to do the same again. That said, the last time I properly lift off oversteered a car was about 2 yrs ago!

Cheers
DP

When does your driving style change? - Clanger
Most of my driving is around the B roads of North Yorks near Richmond with a trailer full of garden equipment. I pootle up to 50 mph, when I'm not hindered by the 40mph-in-town-40mph-in-NSL brigade. To the annoyance of others, I'm down to walking pace over the speed bumps in Tunstall, Brompton-on-Swale and Skeeby to avoid shaking things out of the trailer. A couple of weeks ago my mowing was interrupted by a plaintive call from daughter no. 2 saying that she'd locked herself out of the house and that her bus was leaving in 15 minutes. That left me with some spirited driving to do after I'd ditched the trailer in my customer's drive. It was immense fun; the few overtakes I did flowed nicely into one another and I exceeded the NSL a few times, but not the 30 or 40 limits on the way. It felt *right*. Daughter got her bus.

Contrast this with a trip I did on the bike one Sunday. I was below par with a heavy cold and headache. I'd just visited mother and stepfather's grave to tidy it up and was feeling subdued. I left Ripon on the A61 heading north towards Thirsk and immediately caught up with a 40 mph queue of tightly packed cars, a Police Impreza and a truck. Oncoming traffic was significant and peppered with high-speed bikers. By rights I should have clicked down a couple of gears, made the engine sing, got the adrenaline going, and levered my way up the queue in the gaps between the oncoming traffic. But I just couldn't be bothered. It didn't feel *right*. I'm almost ashamed to say I did the 10 Miles to the A1 junction at 40 mph or less.

Make of that what you will.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
When does your driving style change? - Tomo
When I see a jam sandwich, mainly; I become uptight and irritated, and drive selfconciously rather than naturally; which is not an improvement.
When does your driving style change? - Peter D
It's biggest change is when your kids pass the driving test. Regards Peter