Attn DW. Renault Espace TD - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Due to the problems recently encountered I have lost all my email addresses. I need to speak to you regarding this. It could be the beginning of another engine failure.
Re: Attn DW. Renault Espace TD - David W
Andrew,

I'm here...mail me back or tell us here if not subject to any confidence.

David
Re: Attn DW. Renault Espace TD - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
A customer asked me to listen to a noise from the engine of a '99 Espace 2.2 turbo diesel (100k+)and it reminded me of a posting a few months ago regarding a catastrophic engine failure as a result of the thrust washers on the crank failing. In this instance the engine is cold at startup and all the while the car is not actually driven remains quiet. After about a mile or so and about a dozen gearchanges the noise, like a metallic 'rubbing' noise starts. If you depress the clutch it gets worse. The noise is slightly louder at the gearbox end Any input gratefully recieved.
I am guessing at clutch problems?
Re: Attn DW. Renault Espace TD - John S
Andrew

If it's a thrust problem, can this not be checked externally by levering the crank back and forth at the pulley end?

If that's not the problem, it does sound a bit like a clutch problem

regards

john
Re: Attn DW. Renault Espace TD - David W
Andrew,

Some of these little rubbing sounds are a pig to locate, a little easier if has been towed in by the AA with something sticking out of the crankcase though.

As John says to measure the crank movement with a dial gauge may give some clues.

Fingers crossed for the clutch rather than the engine though.

I did have loads of off-site info on this but it was before I archived such things so I have no details left.

David