MS Windows XP/2000/NT security - jack
Source: Microsoft

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-017

Unchecked buffer in the Multiple UNC Provider Could Enable Code Execution (Q311967)
Originally posted: April 04, 2002

Summary
Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Windows NT®, Windows® 2000 and Windows XP

Impact of vulnerability: Local privilege elevation and run code of attacker?s choice.

Maximum Severity Rating: Moderate

Recommendation: Administrators should consider applying the patch to machines that allow unprivileged users to log onto them interactively such as workstations and Terminal Servers.

You can download the patch at

www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url...p
Re: MS Windows XP/2000/NT security - Andy P
If you want to see how secure your PC is, go to grc.com and follow the Shields Up! links. The site will then check to see how easily a hacker can gain access to your system.

Andy
Re: MS Windows XP/2000/NT security - B. Wary
Don't be fooled by grc.com and Steve Gibson. Worthy though he is, respected heavyweight industry experts are not so convinced of his claims or methods. All the same, anything that helps is a good thing, so get yourself some antivirus and a firewall and treat everything (especially attachments) with caution and you have gone as far as average users can be expected to to safeguard yourself

For comments of Steve Gibson, check out www.theregister.co.uk.
Re: MS Windows XP/2000/NT security - J Bonington Jagworth
Well, he may be a bit paranoid (who wouldn't be, writing security software for Windows!) but on the whole, I think he's a force for good. I had his Spinrite software 13 years ago, and damned useful it was. Microsoft is the problem, not Steve Gibson. Linux, anyone?
Re: MS Windows XP/2000/NT security - Richard Hall
I just tried Shields Up, and it couldn't get through to anything on my PC. Looks like my firewall software (BlackIce Defender) is working fine. Thanks for the link Andy P - it's always reassuring to know this stuff.