Peugeot 106 dash light problem - yeoman2007
Hi there
My girl friend has got a 1995 peugeot 106 1.1 (old shape), and the problem is that the temp warning light on the dash bored stays on all the time, although sometimes it is dimmer. i am quite technally minded but electrics are not my srong point.
Any help on this would be great thanks.
Peugeot 106 dash light problem - DP
I am guessing that the light is controlled by a thermoswitch on its negative / earth connection. When the coolant is at normal temperature, the switch is open. When the coolant reaches a certain temperature, the switch closes and completes the circuit. Coolant switches or senders are usually located in the thermostat housing or screwed into one of the coolant passages on the head or block. My first thought would be to disconnect the wire from this switch and see if the light goes out. If it does, a new switch should do the trick.

If it doesn't, there's a wiring fault somewhere in the wiring between the instrument panel and the engine bay allowing the current to earth before it gets to the switch. Finding this could be a pain, but my money would be on the switch itself. It's also not unheard of for the connector to fall off the switch and earth itself against a metal component which would also give a "light on" symptom. Find the switch and go from there.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but most senders for lights and gauges that I've come across make/break/vary the resistance of the connection to earth.

Cheers
DP
Peugeot 106 dash light problem - yeoman2007
Thanks DP
I will try that when my girlfriend gets on from work. Thanks for your help.
This is the first time i have used this site, and i am quite impressed by it.
Thanks Dan
Peugeot 106 dash light problem - Screwloose
yeoman

Additionally to DP's piece; check in the handbook for that light's stated function.

Early Pugs often had coolant level sensors in the side tank of the radiators and they were so unreliable that they were dropped. The level warning lights were sometimes in the temp gauge.