Will it be a Vectra? They said they'd try - THe Growler
Well folks I have just confirmed my rental car online at LHR for tomorrow a.m. and I hope to, in due course, tell you what motoring is like in the real world for a dissolute specimen like me. Perhaps some insights may ensue. Why a Vectra? Well it just HAD to be, didn't it, after everything you chaps say about them. (Anyway, they didn't have any V8's left). I'm not even sure I've seen one (who was that wag at the back who said "you did but probably didn't notice it").

I have asked for one in blue if possible :-) Surely they can't be that awful? Last year same trip I had a Volve S70 and I can say with hand on heart that was a truly horrible car.

Now all I have to do is get through 15 hrs 40 mins on Air Chance to Charles de Gaulle, (that splendid airport that reminds one of a vast hospital waiting room and is just about as enjoyable to spend time in), followed by debouchement at LHR avec hopefully as opposed to sans bagage as has happened before). thence to London. Airline food is as we know universally awful, French being the more so since they don't seem to kill whatever it is first, then call it some unprounceable name. There is always an upside and in this case it is that this does wonders for my diet. All the same, if God had meant me to travel on an A340 economy he would have made me narrower.
Re: Will it be a Vectra? They said they'd try - Honest John
Remember, Growler, there's CDG1 )with the zoom tubes and scrapyard) and CDGII (the newer one). Your ongoing flight might depart from a different airport from the one at which you arrive.

HJ
Re: Will it be a Vectra? They said they'd try - alvin booth
Gowler,
I hope you asked them for a Vectra diesel!!
alvin
Re: Will it be a Vectra? They said they'd try - gwyn parry
May be an AF joke but reading the Telegraph's motoring column about Vauxhall's attempt to dominate the taxi market with a purpose built car in the early 1900s ... it referred to the extraordinary long steering, brake and gearchange linkages on this vehicle. (the driver sat at the back iykwim) - maybe this is why the Vectra had such a long throw gear change for some sort of strange retro feel.
Re: Will it be a Vectra? They said they'd try - Union Jack
I don't know if you will be accessing the site regularly whilst in UK, but how about a comparative test report with a difference - Mark and Growler's impressions of the Vectra?

Enjoy your visit Growler, and keep us posted on your impressions of life in the fast lane in UK today - or even in the slow lane.

Jack
Re: Will it be a Vectra? They said they'd try - Flat in Fifth
Realise this has been covered before on Mark's UK trip thread but seeing as the Vectra is about to be replaced, and the diesel is a fairly raucous example of DI engines would it not make more sense to try either a Mondeo, or a Rover 75?