'new cars' and trading standards - alapppy
Just a follow up to my earlier post..the supermarket site has just updated its web site and all 7 of these cars are shown as 'year 2006' I have checked out the vin numbers with BMW and the cars were built in November 2004. Surely this is a breach ot trading standards. I did my homework but other unsuspecting buyer swill shell out a large amount of money for something that is not as advertised. Should not this sort of misrepresentation be exposed

alan
'new cars' and trading standards - Simon
I don't know the exact answer but if they are registered in 2006, then they will live their lives as a 2006 plate car. If you drive an 05 plate car then you say that you have got a 2005 BMW for example, even though it may have been built in the later part of 2004. Most folk generalise the year of their car by the year of first registration.

Are they still the current shape model, or are they one that has gone out of production? It is up to the buyer to do his or her homework when buying from a supermarket in particular, so I think its a case of buyer beware. I don't think that the supermarket are actually commiting any offence.
'new cars' and trading standards - Pugugly {P}
As previously stated you don't have to be an expert to find the date a BMW was made. Open the bonnet.
'new cars' and trading standards - adverse camber
I disagree. If I see a car described as 'year 2006' I assume that means model year 2006 which, depending on the mfr, will be something like oct 2005 through sept 2006. If it said 'registered 2006' or 2006 plate then that would be different.

Be worth having a word with TS. It isnt just the advert - its how honest they are about it.
'new cars' and trading standards - Altea Ego
If you want a brand new freshly built car you order one from your dealer and wait 6 weeks or more while its built and you pay list price minus a small discount.

If you want a shed load of money off you buy at a supermarket with all the risks of where and when it was sourced with all the hastle of missing service books, keys and warranty.

YOu get what you pay for folks, its amazing how cheap skates who buy cheap without any research are always the first to complain.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
'new cars' and trading standards - Wales Forester
Of course if you buy from a main dealer with a small discount you'll have no hassle with missing service books, keys etc. yeah right ;-)
I think I'd rather do my homework and be a cheap skate than be taken for a ride at a franchised outfit.
'new cars' and trading standards - yorkiebar
New car simply means not yet registered or used ! Means absoloutely nothing about the age of the car (how long stood in a field etc )

All makes do this!
'new cars' and trading standards - stunorthants26
When I worked for a Rover main dealer, during 1999 when the 75 was launched, Rover ended up with a batch of 825 Sterlings that sat aorund for years because they couldnt shift them with the vastly superior 75 on sale.

I cleaned a Sterling which was built in 1997 and sold in early 2000 I think it was - prob one of a handful ever sold then.

Then again, the sort of personw ho would buy an 825 over the 75 was about 80 odd years old from recollection!
'new cars' and trading standards - Aprilia
In the auto industry, cars are referenced by their 'model year' (MY). Production for the next MY usually starts after the summer shutdown, so cars manufactured in Autumn 2006 are '2007MY' cars and incorporate all the changes (technical and cosmetic) for 2007. These cars will be on their way to dealers so that cars sold in 2007 are indeed 2007MY.
When sales are a bit sluggish then dealers can end up with 'last year's model' and these are usually sold at a discount. For example, Subaru's sales ambitions never seem to be realised so there are always some of 'last years model' available - so expect to see sales of discounted '2006MY' or 'pre-facelift', or whatever, in the first quarter of 2007. Obviously the cars will be registered as 2007, but they will be 2006 specification.
Guides such as Glasses etc list the spec for each model year, so when you come to trade the car the dealer will not just look at the plate, but also the spec., and he'll notice its an older spec and price the car accordingly.

In my experience Supermarkets are not really any different to dealers when it comes to passing off an older spec car. Main dealers will certainly do it. Personally I would just as soon go to a supermarket as to a dealer - I think you are no more likely to have hassle with service books etc. When buying ANY new car I think its a good idea to try to determine build date.

IMHO trying to pass off a 2004 car as a 2007 vehicle is a bit dodgy to say the least - it all depends on how the ad is worded. Might be worth speaking to TS. Also a car made for a RHD far-east market my not meet EU type approval in all respects.
'new cars' and trading standards - local yokel
>IMHO trying to pass off a 2004 car as a 2007 vehicle is a bit dodgy

Though the OP states that it's a Nov 04 mfr date, so it will be an 05 spec, but agreed, it's pulling wool over a buyer's eyes all the same.
'new cars' and trading standards - Dynamic Dave
This sort of thing has been happening for years. I used to work with someone that previously worked at the MG factory in Abingdon. I remember him telling me that his brother in law had bought a brand spanking new MGB. Out of curiosity one day he took the chassis number into work with him and looked it up on the factory records. Turned out the car had been made 3 yrs earlier.
'new cars' and trading standards - alapppy
I dont think it has anything to do with being a cheap skate The supermarkets sell most cars online YOu pay a deposit ,arrange insurance and finance and when you finally go to collect the car you open the bonnet and find that the ad is misleading Then if you are not happy try to get your deposit back..not an easy task plus the hassle and time waste . I simply feel that if the cars show the vin number on the web site you are getting what you paid for
alan
As i said, the only way to get a known brand new fresh off the line car, is to order it, Specify it wih a very cheap obscure extra and a particular colour and if they quote you a min of 6 weeks then you know its straight from the line and not an airfield.

The legal definition of a new car is one that is not previously registered, owned or used. Register it in 2006 and its a new 2006 car.

A model year is different. Model year is a range of specifications between certain marketing dates.

Oh and Aprillia, I have a black labrador.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
"I simply feel that if the cars show the vin number on the web site you are getting what you paid for"

Ringers and car thieves this way please, stand in line now.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
As I said earlier, you would need to look at how the ad is worded. Does it imply that the car is a 2006MY car or a car with 2006 registration?

Model year is important and I would not part with money (to either a dealer or a supermarket) unless I had got the VIN and checked it out. Normally the dealer/supermarket will tell you the VIN without quibble.
When I bought a new car for my sister back in May I called the dealer, got the VIN of the intended purchase and rang the manfr technical dept who told me that the car had come off the line two months previously.
I would not hand over money for any car I had not first seen and inspected - that applies to dealer, supermarket or broker.

Buying from a dealer with option etc is fair enough if you have money to throw around - its the best way of ensuring you pay list, or close to list and its also not practical with many models which would be on a very long lead time.
its the best way of ensuring you pay list,

No it means buying a car on the end of its model year or even past its model year, thats been in stock for a long while means you get a big fat discount. Which is what I said in the first place. You get what you pay for.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
'new cars' and trading standards - T Lucas
A friend of mine used to work as a salesman for Land Rover told me that he sold a new Range Rover to a customer that kept it for 2 years then traded it in for another new one.Yes you guessed,when he checked the VIN number the 'new' Range Rover was in fact built before the first Range Rover.
'new cars' and trading standards - mike hannon
Last year I went to the Alfa dealer and tried in vain to buy a new Sportwagon. I wanted to spec one to suit me, wait for delivery and just get a bit off list price. Didn't happen though. The sales people only wanted to sell the ones they had had sitting around on site for ages and gave me horror stories about how long one would take on order, the spec would end up wrong, I couldn't have the listed options I wanted, etc, etc. I sighed and walked away. So the difference between the main dealer and supersite experience isn't always so cut and dried - except for the price, of course.
'new cars' and trading standards - zm
YOu get what you pay for folks, its amazing how cheap
skates who buy cheap without any research are always the first
to complain.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Here Here! Well Said!
'new cars' and trading standards - Wales Forester
There are obviously a few folk on here that have more money than sense when it comes to buying cars.

Lots of brokers and even car supermarkets can get vehicles made to order, and you can get a substantial discount, and you can benefit from the full manufacturers warranty.
Now if I had the option of ordering car 'X' from a main dealer at £15000 or from a broker / supermarket at £13000 I'd go with the latter every time.
Main dealer in my past experience means 'pay too much' and get nothing more to show for it.
Detecting when my Jan 2004 registered Vectra was approximately built was quite easy. I just pulled out the ashtray, the small rubber mat below the cup holder, and the rubber mat in the nic nak tray below the stereo and looked at the date stamped on the back of them. Most items like this have 12 numbers in a circle (each number represents a month of the year) , an arrow pointing to one of the numbers, and the year in the middle of the circle. In the case of the stamp mark on the above mentioned items, '03' was in the middle, and the arrow pointing to '10'. In other words October 2003.
well that tells you when those parts were made, not when they all came togehter on the production line. It depends how JIT the maker of the parts is. And dont forget that part could have been made for any GM car anywhere in the world, so could be stockpiled for years.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
True, but as there was only 2 months between the parts and the date of registration, it's fairly safe to assume that in the case of my Vectra, it was assembled somewhere around Oct 2003.
'new cars' and trading standards - kithmo
Yes, but it tells you it was made after this date if the parts were stockpiled.
The comments about having to buy from a main dealer to get a genuinely 'factory fresh' car leave me totally baffled! Are people such suckers that they really believe this?

Establishing manfacture date is dead easy - as I said, get the VIN number and check it out. What's hard about that?
If you have the car in front of you then do as D-D suggests and note the date stamp on parts - plastic mouldings, seat belt tags, air-con and coolant hoses, radiator etc all have dates on them. You can also date off the glass if you know how to decode the dots - its not difficult. Most of this stuff is manufactured at most a couple of weeks prior to assembly.
These are cheaper ways than going to the dealer, cap in hand, saying 'Please Mister, can I order a new car at list price?' LOL. Never mind 'get what you pay for', more like 'get what you deserve' in that case! Trousers down, bottom smacked and wallet emptied.
well

the renault dealer quite happily showed me on line his stock list. the uk country inventory, the "in build" list
and future slots on the line, all at the same discount.

so stick that down your trousers.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
'new cars' and trading standards - Dalglish
... so stick that down your trousers.

tvm - he,he,he,he. merry xmas, tvm. that is not the way to talk to the righteous one. where is your xmas spirit ( i know, you have drunk it all ready?) ;-) :0

'new cars' and trading standards - Cliff Pope
Sellers of anything other than cars are obliged to state that their items are "new old stock" or "shop-soiled", and they sell at about 50% of the new price.
New three-piece suite sir, for Christmas? Certainly - I'll just fetch it in out of the car-park and give it a clean. You won't know the difference.