[C]5 go on a trip........ - Mark (Brazil)
I am not a Citroen hater, I refer to my experience with the Xantia and what I said about that. However............................

And then there was the C5?..

Rented one. Drove 1100 miles in 5 days. Hatchback HDI. Diesel, automatic.

It is a strange looking car, not particularly unpleasant, but it is strange. It?s bigger than I expected, but it seems to have huge slab-like sides. It seems like a lot of metal. I thought at first it looked like a Sierra, but in retrospect I think it looks like an Omega.

When I first got in there were two main impressions; Firstly, it is very spacious inside. Width, length and headroom. It feels airy as well.

Second impression is that it is tacky and better suited to some cheap kids toy. Loads of silver metal, on the gear change, on the suspension switch, on the console. It looks *really* tacky. Worse, I suspect it will very quickly look dated.

Getting started was difficult. I know they come with manuals, and I know that I could have read the manual, but IMO any car which NEEDS you to read the manual needs to be rethought.

It is probably the least intuitive car I have been in ? especially the computer.

I spent ages trying to get comfortable with the seat adjustment. In the end, I decided I wasn?t going to be. I?m 6ft but I couldn?t get leg distance to pedals, arm distance to wheel and back angle sorted out. In fact I never did and found it a completely uncomfortable car.

Given that I did some reasonably long journeys, I found it very tiring. The seat is sprung well enough, but there is little or no sideways support. Also, I spent the whole time feeling like I was being tipped into the middle of the car.

There is no armrest, which is irritating. Maybe you can get them as extra. The overall feel inside is one of cheapness. Moulding lines are visible everywhere, the doors have the most amazingly cheap plastic opening pockets you have ever seen. Everywhere you look are things which don?t *quite* fit together. You can see where the air pipe leading to the vents protrudes slightly, for example. I am sure it could fit, but it hasn?t been.

The sun visors follow the general trend of cheap, plastic, and likely to break.

Clearly there was little or no quality control on the design or the building of the car. For another example, when lifting up the hatch, obviously the inside surface is covered in a fibre/carpet to match the rest of the interior. All cars are pretty much the same. However, it isn?t finished. It gets to within an inch of the bottom of the door and stops, with a couple of those black plastic pins pushed through into the metal of the door. It looks ok now, but it will curl, come loose, the edge will become damaged etc.

The back parcel shelf will, over time, sag; its thin cheap plastic. The front carpets are held down by large plastic buttons about an inch and half across standing about 1/3 inch proud of the carpet.? I kicked one out and broke it by accident within a week.

All in all, the overall impression is cheap plastic, badly fitted together and gimicky. All that metal around the gear lever is annoying, likely to become old-fashioned, and also the reason why the automatic gearbox is not illuminated at all, ensuring that you have to look in the middle of the dash to see what gear you are in at night.

And on the subject of the dash ? yuk ! It?s messy, untidy and confusing. For example the Speedo, it is almost impossible to know what speed is indicated with a quick glance. Numbers are marked 10, 30, 50, 70 etc. Each missing number is marked with a dot. Each 5 mph is marked by a substantial line which looks like the more normal 10 mph marker. The marked speeds each have an offset white dot underneath them. In the middle of that it is all repeated again for the kph markings. Its difficult to explain, and I am sure impossible to visualize, but take it from me ? horrible and confusing to use.

The boot is big. It seems really big. Sadly it has a high lip and the outer sides also cut in. The side doors have a rounded frame ? essentially therefore, whilst its big, the openings would prevent you getting something in such as a large box. I am sure if you were carrying many small boxes, it would carry a lot, but not big ones.

Inside the glove box is big enough, and the doors have the normal open side pockets which are fine. They have the awful, previously mentioned, plastic ones as well.

Plenty of space for large adults in the front or back (no sunroof) and as I said, it feels airy. According to the ?Mother test? it?s comfortable in the back.

And then we have driving it?????.oh dear.

It is lethal in a side wind, even a small side wind. I spent all my time adjusting and readjusting. Passing trucks in a side wind is flat out dangerous. The car doesn?t tramline and head and tail winds seem not to affect it, but side winds ? you would have to drive it to understand how badly. Dangerous.

The engine ? remember how a week or two ago everybody was telling me how modern diesels are nothing like the older ones ? How they should be the engines of choice ? How the sophistication has changed them beyond all recognition ? Has it buggery !!

It?s loud, rattly, gutless, agricultural and uncomfortable. It is horrible. Moving off the line into fast traffic is best not done at all, if you have to do it, then like me you may be grateful for a little South American training first. Its pickup is awful and it is only a matter of time before you either die of old-age waiting for a sufficiently large gap in traffic or collect a fellow motorist in your boot.

Part of the problem is the gearbox. It seems to change gear naturally too soon . I know it?s a diesel, but it changes so soon the engine is lumpy. However, if it kicks down when you are at speed, then it tries to over rev the engine and therefore there is no power. It has a sports setting on the gearbox ? essentially it simply lets it rev higher in each gear ? the logic of that seems strange in a diesel, however ? therefore to make the car even vaguely acceptable then under 40 you need the sports setting and over 40 not. You can imagine how often I got that right !!

It also has the ability to use manual selection of gears. You can push the lever off to the left and then push it forward to go up a gear and pull it back to go down. Absolute crap. The torque converter slips all over the place, it over rides you when you least expect it, and I can only imagine two uses for it ? when playing in a sporty car ? and this isn?t one, or when towing to stop it hunting. Well, it will probably do that ok.

It has traffic master. It?s obviously in its early days. I got on quite well with it on motorways and actually managed to miss a couple of jams. It also lets you know if you are in a little hold-up or a big one. Pretty useful. No good off the motorways though. It obviously doesn?t pass update stations very often. Therefore it can take 5 miles for it to notice you have turned off the M3 at Basingstoke.

You can drive into Pangbourne and out to Goring. The whole time it will think you are on the M4 because just before Pangbourne you went over an M4 bridge which happens to have one of the little stations on it. Still, that isn?t Citroen´s fault, and as I say, it was quite useful on the motorways.

What is Citroen?s fault is to put it miles from you in front of the windscreen right in the field of vision and then put a bloody great LED which lights in red or green depending on whether or not it has good news for you. It is SOOO distracting.

And the door mirrors ? they are separated into two fields. The outer one, which as normal is tilted slightly to allow you to see stuff. However, the other part is magnifying, and not clearly so. Consequently there is no blind spot. You can see everything, what you cannot do is work out where it is. I resorted to only pulling back in when I could see the vehicle I had overtaken in the rear view mirror. You couldn?t judge it well enough from the side mirrors.

Sadly, the RV mirror vibrated like you couldn?t believe. You could see a car behind you, but you?re not likely to be able to work out model it is !!

On the subject of the computer ? I apparently did 1107 miles at 39.8 mpg. The car has done 7747 miles at 40.6mpg with an average speed for me of 53.7mph and for the car over its life of 44.4mph.

The computer is not intuitive. It is a long way in front and it is virtually impossible to press the buttons on and drive along. The other controls are on the end of the windscreen wiper switch arm. Not that it actually tells you, you just find out when trying to wash the windscreen and see the display change.

Whilst I think about it, all the switchgear will break. Cheap plastic with loose joints. And the switches on the door- windows/mirrors ? will also break. Cheap, fiddly and small to use, and not very substantial. Its also a sod to try and push it lightly enough to bring the drivers window down a little way without it going all ?one touch? on you and opening completely.

Anyway, you cannot select a function on the computer; you have to step sequentially through them all to get to the one you want. Miss it and you will have to go all the way around again.

The radio has its own little switch arm on the steering column. Cheap, flimsy, difficult to see/find until you get used to it, but it has all the right functions.

If I could have got comfortable in the seat, then I would think that the car is pretty good for long distance 70mph cruising. It?s fairly quiet at that speed and as long as there is no side wind, it seems fairly solid. However, it always seems to me that a car has a ?natural? motorway speed. My dodge seems to settle around 70 if I don?t pay attention, the Audi around 90 etc. Maybe it?s just me. However, the C5 seemed to want to settle around 68mph, and I had to keep focussing and driving faster,

There is a very strange rushing noise from the windscreen wipers. It seems to be simply wind rushing across them as they swipe across. It?s not an unpleasant noise, but it is intrusive.

Strange is also the suspension. Going around a roundabout or sweeping corner makes you feel like the car is suffering from the most awful wallowing. It feels like the whole car will fall over. The strange bit is that it isn?t. I followed my friend driving it, and even though he reported the same feeling as me, from behind it was quite clear that it was staying remarkably flat ? it just doesn?t feel like it.

Its horribly rattly on bad surfaces. The drive down to my parents is not made up. Its not full of potholes, but it isn?t made up. The Citroen rattles, especially from the back. Still, there is no need for any kind of traction control. I don?t think this car would need traction control on ice !

Under the bonnet is loads of complicated stuff which means nothing to me. However, what I did understand is the loads of large, cheap, bendy plastic covers clipped over everything which will break and fall off.

Everything about this car says it will be a bad second hand deal. The trim will be decaying, the switches breaking, the plastic warping, bits will be falling off.

This is a 17k car or thereabouts ? I cannot imagine being happy with it under any circumstances, either new and free or secondhand and cheap.

It is a mistake And a big one. I suspect it is going to do Citroen a load of harm. The *only* thing I can say for it is that it has this nice, spacious, airy feeling inside. Oh, and the brakes are excellent, as are the lights.

I visited David Woollard. Perhaps he would like to comment on the fairness of my comments ???

(by the way, I dropped into a friends garage ? alignment, tyre pressures, tyre wear all seemed normal and correct so far as he could tell quickly.)
Citroen C5 trips up - Double Decker
Mark

Most perceptive and interesting, and especially so for Mr Citroen, and seriously compulsory reading for Mr Citroen most of all, as well as would be C5 owners or drivers. Quite encouraging for Sir Clive Sinclair too .....

Well done on keeping us posted in such detail, both in breadth and depth.

DD

PS Less seriously, no mention of cup holders or, more importantly, baseball bat stowage (hint! hint!)?

PSS Would it be better offroad than a F***lander?
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - pete
What a excellent review , this is just the real life feedback that programmes like Driven should give us , more information , less high speed races , top entertainment. I look forward to further reviews. (agree with your comments re diesel)
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - David W
The C5 experience....

Before he came over here Mark was mailing to say what a terrible car it was, I thought he'd get used to it. After my time travelling in and driving it I have to agree. A sad experience really because I would like to say Citroen had moved the undoubted Xantia qualities forward, if anything they've slipped back.

In no particular order here are some of the C5 faults and foibles I noticed.

The HDi engine is little better in refinement than our older 1.9TDs, if anything it has more of a light rattling at moderate revs. In a large car with auto box it feels gutless.

That body styling is hard to like. In particular the windscreen shape is odd, most obvious from inside.

On that theme it is impossible to see any of the front of the car further forward than the screen from the drivers seat, this makes it a pig to park.

The ride is possibly smoother than the Xantia overall but it is caught out on shorter undulations, they send a real thump through the cabin.

The handling feels wallowy and there is an odd disconnected feeling when driving it. More like piloting a great barge.

The quality of interior materials has dropped since the Xantia, some of the plastic looks more like 1980s Fiat Uno.

The speedo is only marked with numerals every 20mph, the intermediate intervals having a strange set of dots and lines. Mark commented I would find trouble knowing what speed I was doing in town. He was right, you can easily be 10mph out.

The auto gearbox is mated to the diesel engine with the most inappropriate change points. If you are driving along sensibly it changes up too early every time and drops the engine to about 1700rpm in the next gear. This is below the useful boost/torque figure and it then grumbles and vibrates its way until 2000rpm is passed. The alternative is to select the Sport setting on the gearbox when it makes more noise but goes about the same.

Sidewinds affect this car terribly, in fact it needs constant steering correction even in calm conditions on Fen roads.

Rear seat access is poor, particularly after the long and wide opening rear door on the Xantia that made them so good.

This car is heavily promoted as having five computers, if I was Citroen I'd have kept that under my hat, electrics have always been a weak point for them. Already this quite new C5 was showing odd glitches. Mark drives with the window cracked open an inch or two. Several times the window closed without him touching the switch. Also the rain sensitive wipers had a mind of their own, they never matched their speed to the actual conditions. In fact as Mark was about to leave on Friday he opened the drivers door, without the key in the ignition, and off went the wipers. Computers needing re-booting already?

No I'm sorry Citroen, this car smacks of getting the maximum possible body size at minimum cost. I have driven far smaller newer cars with better overall design and performance. I think it will depreciate like the devil and be one they will want to forget, shame after the BX/ZX/Xantia dragging Citreon from quirky to the accepted mainstream.

Frankly the new Mondeo is far better conceived with an impression of greater build quality.

A great shame. Thanks to Mark for the experience though.

David
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Flat in Fifth

So would it be fair to conclude that whilst this particular model may not be the bees knees for a whole host of reasons, this experience should not be used as the definitive point in determining the diesel vs petrol debate?
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Ian C
Likewise this experience should not cloud views of the model as a whole... THe 2.2HDi estate Ive got (manual) is both brisk and refined - far more so in fact than the mondeo si that went before it
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Mark (Brazil)
Couldn't say FIF.

David and I discussed that point. The last diesel automatic Car I drove was 10 years ago, I'm not the man to ask. They'd have to be generally an awful lot better than this one though, for me to have one.
Mmm, well as I said, the auto box seemed like a lot of the problem.

Any comment on side winds, build quality, etc ?
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Ian Cook
Many thanks to Mark and DW. I sat in a C5 in a showroom and didn't think it bad, at first glance - stodgy styling, though.
Surely Citroen aren't daft - or do they have an autocrat at the top of their marketing tree, who insisted that it go ahead?

Looks like I'll be hanging on to the Xantia for a while yet.

Ian
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Ian C
No problems with side winds despite the slab sides - thats including going over some dreadful high roads frequently here in west dorset (the a35 is always have blown-over trucks) and the build is easily as good as a new passatt or laguna...

How many miles had yours done because these things only seem to come alive after 20k or so...
BTW, this car had been first registered early Feb.
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Neil Baker
If it was only reg. in Feb that suggests it had done few miles - in my experience modern turbo diesels (TDi,HDI,dCi etc) all need at least 20 - 30,000 miles on to really start delivering...
>>How many miles had yours done because these things only seem to come alive after 20k or so...

7747 miles.

I haven't been in a Passat or Laguna.

I'd be paranoid and worried were it not that David Woollard spent some time with it and confirmed most of what I thought (not all).
>>If it was only reg. in Feb that suggests it had done few miles - in my experience modern turbo diesels (TDi,HDI,dCi etc) all need at least 20 - 30,000 miles on to really start delivering...

I have no idea if that is true or not, but assuming it is - its ridiculous.

"Please sir, spend many thousands buying this and it will be like you think it should be in 2.5 years".
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Neil Baker
Its always been the case with diesels (as Diesel Car mag readers will know) - but then seeing as the things wil be around a lot longer I guess a small running-in time is worth it. Mine seemed to come alive after 15k miles...

As for the build, I dont know if u had a duffer or different specs for different companys but the ones Ive delt with (fleet cars) are just as good (or bad!) as the competition
Go and actually look. Its not all build quality, some of it is design quality.

Look under the bonnet - do you see several large plastic covers ? How are they held on ? Do any of them look like they will brake ? Do the clips seem adequate ?

Open the hatch and look at its inside panel ? How is teh "carpet" finished as it meets the bottom of the door ? Does it slot into a metal slot ? Is it finished in some way ? Or, does it just stop where it is cut, with no special finishing and is it held to the door by plastic pins ?

Look at the front doors. Is there a triangualr shaped opening & closing pocket ? Do you consider that well made and likely to last ?

Can you reach the buttons on the computer display while you are driving ?

How is the carpet held to the floor at the front ?

Do you consider the cigarette lighter as likely to last ?

These are not subjective things. This are design faults which will cause no issue at all with a new or newish car. On an older car they will be a nightmare.
Petrol engines too get better with miles but performance is acceptable from day one with a sometimes noticeable improvement from say 7 to 9k. I find it hard to believe that 20k is required before acceptable performance is achieved , the A4 130 diesel i had on the last service day was rapid with less than 1k on the clock, sounds more like poor engineering tolerances to me on the engine build.
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Andrew W
Nothing to do with poor tolerances at all - everything to do with bedding in and reliability. Thats why lexus have software to prevent the vvt working below 1k miles. BTW VAG (vw and Audi TDi's are the most obvious 'improvers' with age so your PD 130 will no doubt get even better
Sorry but i beg to differ , each manufacture has its own engineering tolerances when it comes to engine build (and body build), the tighter the tolerances the higher the production costs , BL was well known for wide tolerances hence the crap metro i had that burnt oil from new and was blowing oil through the exhaust on the overrun at 10k. In those days Vw was known for very tight tolerances which helped give them the reputation they are living off today. Comments welcome
I would hazard a guess that the car I had was the 2.0 HDI, not the 2.2 HDI. I rang Avis but they said it could be either.

Until checking just now, I didn't even know there were two.

However, that doesn't make the car well built or well designed.
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Andrew W
You think those design points are bad - try a L/R Freelander!

I appreciate your comments, but seriously a new mondeo, laguna 2 or passat are just as dubious if you look closely.

Shame the thing was so slow though. Ive driven a 2.0HDi 110bhp version and that was fine (though manual)
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - peterb
Excellent review from Mark.

Having driven a C5 for a couple of hours, I have been surprised by motoring magazines claiming that the driving position is excellent - I couldn't get comfy at all. Worst of all, the lateral support was so poor that whenever I went round a roundabout, I found myself in the passenger seat.
According to the spec listings in Diesel Car (usually fairly accurate) the automatic 2.0 HDi (110bhp) is only available in LX trim. If yours was any other trim, Mark, then it was the 2.2 litre.

Ian
tell me a bit of trim which is on one and not the other, then I'll know.
Mark - I've e-mailed you the brochure pages.

Ian
It was the LX. According to the brochures all the others have an armrest.

Well, of course. You couldn't be putting an armrest on an LX, for goodness sake, what would the world think.

Not many other differences though.

Still a lousy waste of money I am afraid. Maybe the diesel is better with a manual, and the automatic is better wiht petrol. Maybe the 2.2 is better.

Still looks like hell with terrible design and build quality though.
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Keith Stockdale
Perhaps a little off the main subject, but I have been in both the new 2.0 and 2.2 Vectra and Astra.

Both engines are crude and unrefined compared to a petrol engine and bear little comparison.

I have heard that the new VW diesel engines are far from quiet, smooth and refined also.
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - T.Lucas
What do you expect if you run an engine on coal?
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Tomo me boy
Thats rubbish! The latest TDI PD130 VW's and Audis are refined, smooth and pokey - more so infact (apart from when idling) than the 1.8 20v or 2.0 8v petrol lumps... and as for the BMW's with the new gen 2.0 and 3.0d - how can a petrol compete!
Re: [C]5 go on a trip........ - Andy B
Dunno what bum-steers u poor guys have been forced to drive, but my new 2.2 HDi C5 is solid, quiet and goes as well as the A4 2.4 it replaces. The same engine in a colleauges 607 is equally good, but far more refined - I guess because of the installation.
>>Dunno what bum-steers u poor guys have been forced to drive, but my new 2.2 HDi C5 is solid, quiet and goes as well as the A4 2.4 it replaces.

So, if you can be bothered, go through my thoughts and comment with yours. I'd be interested. Don't forget I had the 2.0 not the 2.2;

Surprises me that the thing most people responded to was the engine comments, that was only a small part of what I said. What about the rest ?