Registration query re emmisions - cheddar
Slightly complicated one this, a vehicle was manufactured in 2000 and was put into storage then was registered in France in 2003 though still unused. The reason it was registered was because of euro emmisions regs it would not have been able to be registered as new after Dec 2003. So now if it was imported into the UK and registered here would if have a 03 or 53 plate based in it's date of first registration in France and it's emmisions compliance at that time? Or would it have a Q plate, or perhaps it could not be registered here at all now because it does not comply with euro emmisions regs at the point of first registration here?

Any thoughts?
Registration query re emmisions - bell boy
if you imported it it would say on the v5
first used registered overseas
date of first reg in uk /1610/2006 if registered today
vehicle was registered/used overseas.Declared manufactured 2000
it would go on a v/w/x plate depending on when it was actually made chassis no would probably be used by dvla ,or they might just give you whats available that day ie as said v / w / x?
Registration query re emmisions - cheddar
Thanks oldman, I thought it would go by when first made if unregistered though if registered in another country I thought it would go by that date?
Registration query re emmisions - Westpig
my bike has an 'S' plate rather than the 'T' it should have because it was imported from the Sultanate of Oman and the original Omani reg document is in Arabic and unintelligible to most of us.

The documentation from Honda Japan was in English confirming its' order and manufacture so the authorities over here accepted that instead. My mate who owned it at the time, tried to put his foot down, but they advised he would otherwise have to have a 'Q' plate, so he obviously 'wound his neck in'.

Registration query re emmisions - Harmattan
Agree with replies above. As regards emissions and having recently researched this, I would say that if it is a European market vehicle with a valid EU Certificate of Conformity (see below) from the manufacturer then it is subject to the emissions regulations at the time of registration, i.e. 2003, in France. With the certificate, registration should be straightforward in the UK and no need for SVA. If you don't have the Type Approval certification, then I think you are going to be asked to go through SVA (although emissions will still remain those for 2003) as well as get an MoT. There is info on this on the DVLA website. It is actually easier if you are coming from outside the EU with a LHD vehicle and you can show it has been owned and in use by you for at least six months while living abroad even if it doesn't meet EU emissions.

Excerpt from DVLA site :
EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) - Passenger Cars Only
Most new cars sold in the European Union will conform to an "EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval". (ECWVTA has been available optionally since 1993. From January 1998, virtually all new mass-produced cars sold in the EU must conform to an ECWVTA).

ECWVTAs are recognised throughout the European Union but you must ensure that the vehicle is suitable for use on UK roads. Normally, this will not be a problem for right-hand drive vehicles intended for the UK market. To confirm compliance with an ECWVTA, you should obtain from the manufacturer or his agent a valid "Certificate of Conformity" (CoC) and present it when first licensing & registering the vehicle. (The manufacturer might charge if a duplicate Certificate is required). A CoC is only valid for the UK if the light and rear-view mirrors are designed for left-hand traffic and the speedometer is marked in m.p.h. as well as km/h.

If the certificate is not valid in these respects, you should be in a position to produce evidence that modifications for left hand traffic have been made and that the speedometer includes a miles-per-hour display e.g. a statement from a garage/mechanic or receipts for necessary replacement parts (see Section 2.6 for further guidance). When the modifications have been completed and you have obtained a statement or invoices to that effect from a garage/mechanic, you should send it together with the CoC to the Vehicle Certification Agency who will, if satisfied, issue a Mutual Recognition Certificate for which the charge will be £65 (as of August 2003). It is this Certificate that you will need to present to your local DVLA Local Office.`

Vehicles with a valid CoC can be imported by individuals and businesses without restriction; it is not necessary to demonstrate compliance with the personal import criteria as described in Section 2.4.

If your vehicle is more than 3 years old, it must also pass the normal "MoT" roadworthiness test before it can be licensed and registered. (At August 2003, this costs up to £40.75).


Ask Honest John

Value my car