Overdose of telly tonight - Honest John
In the unlikely event you've all forgotten, tonight is a motorfeast of telly. First, at 8.00 (20.00) on BPC2 we get Sangita Myska going "undercover" again. Then, at 8.30 (20.30), we have a choice between Jason B and Dominic sorting someone out with a FIAT Panda replacement, or we can flip channels to ITV4 to watch Mike, Jason P and Penny either tell us that the Honda Jazz is brilliant, or not, in comparison to the new Fiesta and new Polo. See the Jazz thread started by Spud down below.

HJ
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - spud
HJ, I didn't start that thread, I just added to it.
My Jazz thread was about three weeks ago.
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Brian
The undercover report on fake documentation was worrying.
Makes you wonder if the driver in front of you should even be in the country, with the false passports on offer, let alone whether his vehicle is legitimately taxed, insured or MOT'd.
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Pete W
That bloke wanted the Fiesta, he must have been mad to think about it. SWMBO came through at the end though.

Good series, love it.
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Honest John
Guess what motor HJ's mum drives? And she loves it.

HJ
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Richard Hall
At 7.55, the power went off in all the houses in my area. It came back on at 9.05....
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Jason
Please please someone tell me what SWMBO is short for. Also any other abbreviations would be good!

Thanks from Jase
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Ian Cook
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Ian
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - andrew wills
HI is simpler and probably kinder (Her Indoors)
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Claire Voyant
Hi all,

I think it was Rumpole of the Bailey who introduced this phrase, which has been shortened to SWHMBO.

CV
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - James
I thought so, too, but apparently it came from an H. Rider Haggard story written 100 years earlier. There's also a suspicion that the Sumerians had written something similar in about 3000 BC (!), shortly after they invented the wheel, no doubt...

For more on this, go to woodbutcher.net/swmbo.htm
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Claire Voyant
Let's ban TLAs, FLAs & SLAs...

(Three / Four & Five / Six Letter Abreviations)

Argh!
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Ian Cook
You can try, Claire - but I'm afraid you won't succeed. Some companies run on acronyms and many are bound to find everyday use.

Ian
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - terry
Has anyone spotted that the cheapest yaris (which is the GS - there is no cheaper 5dr) that Motorpoint have is now £6999...

How long ago was that programe filmed I wonder!

Or are they cashing in?
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Dave
I've driven the 1l Yaris.

It's a great little car. Revs like a bike!

I was amazed he was considering the Ka against that little beauty!

As for a used car for 5800. Crazy! How do dealers get away with it!
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - THe Growler
"BH" is popular in my patch = Bitter Half.
Re: Overdose of telly tonight - Honest John
But the wrong car right car guy went for a 3 door which is a Monkey (500 notes) less than a 5 door.

HJ
Re: Overdose of Abbreviations - Union Jack
James and Claire are spot on between them. John Mortimer, author of the splendid Rumpole books, will have been well aware of the character introduced by Sir Henry Rider Haggard (a good Norfolk lad from Bradenham, DW) into his novel "She".

"She" was Ayesha, white queen of an African tribe, and known to her people as "She Who must Be Obeyed", hence Mrs Rumpole, aka SWMBO in modern parlance.

On a more prosaic level, and derived from my Navy days, I've always found it useful to refer to "my current next of kin" - it doesn't half keep them on their toes!

Jason - You will find a fairly recent thread on abbreviations/acronyms etc under the Subject of "BPC" started by Alex on 5 February, but *please* don't let there be any confusion between the two - an acronym is an abbreviation, but an abbreviation, such as SWMBO, *cannot* be an acronym unless it forms a recognisable word, such as ERNIE, AUDI or SAAB. Phew! Just got the motoring theme in in time!

HTH (Abbreviation ....)

Jack