Gatso's and Road Markings - sir_hiss
Do Gatso's have to have the white markings on the road in front for them to be legit ? There a 3 new style Gatsos, (the ones with smaller head units), between J18 and J19 of the M4 in the roadworks. For each camera, lanes 2 and 3 have white lines marked but lane 1 does not. BTW, these cameras are linked via satellite to somewhere, judging by the large dish next to them, and I'm pretty convinced they are operational as I've them flash (not at me I hasten to add!).
Gatso's and Road Markings - bell boy
why do you want to try them out and see if you can hit a motorway worker for maximum points?
Gatso's and Road Markings - sir_hiss
No, Oldman, I have no intention of trying them out and to imply that I'd might like to take out a motorway worker for maximum points is somewhat below the belt. I was going to report your reply as offensive but have decided a reply would be a better way. I drive this stretch of M4 everyday, its taken months for the cameras to go up since the work started and I was expecting a SPECS system (far safer IMHO) than a couple of sat linked digital gatso's. I'm curious as the configuration is not something I've seen before and was wondering what the rest of the backroomers thought.

Thanks for stuffing what I thought was the start of a decent thread.
Gatso's and Road Markings - bell boy
i will give you a reply.............
my next door neighbour but 2 is a motorway linesman, (he puts lines/ roadmarkings down), have a 10 minute conversation with him and then wonder why camera markings should not be needed,if it says 50 people should do 50, not what they think they should do, (it could be your son/father doing the job and not coming home.
report me for that
Gatso's and Road Markings - teabelly
Shame then roadworks with specs / gatsos have a casualty rate higher than roadworks without speed enforcement and normal 70 mph motorways. The only way to reduce accidents, according to recent research, is the use of police patrols - they cut accidents by 20%. On the whole it is better drivers don't hit the motorway workers at all rather than hit them at 40 (they're still going to be dead) or 50 or whatever limit is set to anyway.
teabelly
Gatso's and Road Markings - stunorthants
I believe the OP was a question about the type of speed camera used and the road markings and any comment on why this choice of camera in this situation...

...there was no suggestion of a desire to speed in roadworks so Im afraid your reply seems mearly a poor opportunity for you to jump on your soapbox at another posters expense about a very different issue.

If you want to highlight the issue which you are rightly passionate about ( I follow all speed limits including those temporary ones on motorways no matter how slow they seem and I agree with you on your point made ), I would suggest that you start a separate thread to make your point instead of such an unfair attack on the orig poster.

Just because the post contains the words roadworks and speed cameras, it doesnt mean the poster must be one of the idiots who risk others lives.
Gatso's and Road Markings - jc2
Truvelo(not Gatso) cameras don't need road markings.
Gatso's and Road Markings - mick1999
I was also wondering this, as near me they have resurfaced a section of road and, not repainted markings on road, although for once this camera is in the right place, all locals know not to speed in this area, has had many bad accidents there in past.