Case for speed cameras destroyed - artful dodger {P}
Surprised this subject has not been raised already.

A review of the Government's speed cameras policy was demanded yesterday after official statistics showed that only five per cent of crashes are caused by drivers breaking the speed limit.

Drivers who let their attention wander cause more than six times as many accidents.

The Department of Transport insisted that, while driver error accounted for 66 per cent of accidents, motorists going too fast for the conditions, irrespective of the speed limit, accounted for 29 per cent of crashes.

The analysis rekindled the speed camera argument and raised questions over whether the Government would meet the road safety targets it had set itself. The figures showed that the number of people killed on the roads last year fell to 3,201, one per cent fewer than in the previous year. The 28,954 people seriously injured represented a seven per cent fall on 2004. The Government has said it wants the number of people killed or seriously injured on the roads to be reduced to 40 per cent of the 1994-8 average by 2010.

Analysis of hospital data sent to the Department of Health painted a very different picture, suggesting that the drop in the number of deaths had been minimal.

Full article at tinyurl.com/qsqr4

Moderators please leave this thread out of Speeding thread for at least 24 hours as I feel it will be widely discussed.
--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Case for speed cameras destroyed - Dynamic Dave
Surprised this subject has not been raised already.

It has:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=43788&...e

Moderators please leave this thread out of Speeding thread for at
least 24 hours as I feel it will be widely discussed.

Too late. Please continue discussion in the above mentioned thread please.

DD.