I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - lukeTT
Ever since they came out I have loved the look of the Audi TT and have always dreamed of getting one, lack of a driving licence and the price tag was always off putting, but I'm trying to put that right

I'm in the army and due to start driver training in January, shortly after I am due promotion (at which point I'll be on about £20k, _after_ tax and outgoings for food and rent) so maybe there is a chance I could afford one

In January I'll be 24 and only 7 months off my 25th birthday (when my car insurance should drop?), but with no 'no claims' behind me, is the insurance gonna kill me even if I wait until I'm 25?

or maybe the maintenance will be the deal breaker, as I have heard the TT is not the most reliable of cars

in my favour is the fact that the car will be parked in an army camp surrounded by barb wire and men with guns 5 nights a week, would 3rd party insurance be an option or is that always a no-go? not much chance of it getting nicked

I have a pretty normal male mid 20s social life (drinking out with the lads and watchin footy) and no major outgoings or debt

any advice (including 'stop dreaming and go get a fiesta instead) is welcome :)
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - bell boy
if you have done the figures and can afford it then good luck buy it and enjoy it but be warned they have costly foibles
my brother in law has one and hes frightened to drive it after the second time the rear suspension broke.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - richy
3rd party insurance usually only for cars worth less that 2-3k (insurance firms don't allow it)
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Rumfitt
I had one a while ago and, like you, just wanted to own one of the purest automotive designs ever created.

I originally planned to get 'something special' for my 40th birthday and put a deposit down for a 225 silver coupe TT with 6 months to go before the big day. The arrogance of the Audi dealership was astounding. They didn't order the right spec and I had to reorder twice. They always stated they could resell and never aplogised, blaming it on someone else. The last straw came when I asked for a gesture of goodwill after they delayed the order by another two months, missing my big day - their stony refusal spoke volumes and I bought a TVR Griffith 500 instead!

A year later they became affordable ( a silver TT anyone?) and I got a 225 silver ragtop at a cracking price, from a main dealer.

Despite its waning popularity, I loved the design details and the construction quality. It was pretty nippy when the turbo kicked in, and the grip levels were very high. Equipment levels were generous too. As a driver's car it was a dead loss though - wooden steering, an over-firm bumpy ride, and the on/off nature of the turbo soon soured the dream. I did experience the best ever drive of my life in it though - a breathless blast from Edinburgh to John O' Groats in glorious sunshine, top down, on empty Highland roads, stereo blaring away...

I had it for six months, and it developed a few niggles, needing a new clutch and coil pack. Servicing was very pricey and it was never the most practical of cars, so it had to go. I'm still very glad I owned such an iconic car, so I would say go for it! I used a few Internet car insurance comparison sites to get a great insurance rate, and many cars have been owned by very fussy, obsessive owners. Take your time to hunt down the best examples and enjoy :-)
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - tr7v8
Despite its waning popularity, I loved the design details and the
construction quality. It was pretty nippy when the turbo kicked in,
and the grip levels were very high. Equipment levels were generous
too. As a driver's car it was a dead loss though
- wooden steering, an over-firm bumpy ride, and the on/off nature
of the turbo soon soured the dream. I did experience the
best ever drive of my life in it though - a
breathless blast from Edinburgh to John O' Groats in glorious sunshine,
top down, on empty Highland roads, stereo blaring away...

The poor on road behavouir is something I'd read about before & has soured it for a lot. My wife wants one & my response is no way!
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Micky
"> top down, on empty Highland roads, stereo blaring away...<2

Says it all about the TT really, why would one have the top down and the stereo switched on? The TVR would be far too noisy and involving to bother about the stereo. And then it would break down, which would be even more involving ;-)

TVR to TT?
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - rtj70
You're obviously after a TT with a name like lukeTT... new one released this week so hold fire a bit and prices for the previous model will come down. There are loads about.

If this is you're first car, maybe go for a 180bhp one? Okay one exhaust pipe fewer but will keep buying and insurance costs down??

Would have thought quite reliable.

One thought though, you being military, but in Europe there was a 150bhp front drive version that will have looked the same as the 180bhp. Do you know of anyone that ordered a RHD 150bhp FWD Audi TT living say in Germany on overseas duty... could save a packet and get a very nice car.

I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - cheddar
You could get the 150 one here latterly AFAIAA.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - MichaelR
Go for it, and get a 225. Insurance will be of no concern, I am quite a bit younger than yourself and can insure a modified 530i Sport without issue, so a TT 225 for yourself will be easy.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Adam {P}
I think the 225 is Group 20 or something equally ridiculous. My mate insured one but I remember it cost him a fortune. (He's only 21 though).
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - MichaelR
Whoa, just checked and its Group 18. A group higher than the 530, but I wouldnt think it will make THAT much difference.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - stevied
I had a TT 225 Coupé as a present to help with the trauma of turning 30.

Nice to look at but expensive to run and didn't handle that well, a bit like my girlfriend at the time (drum roll).

I swapped it for an A3 which I liked a lot, lot more.

My rather left-field advice? I've just come back from Slovenia, where my friend and I hired a 911 Carrera 4S (old shape) for a couple of days. THAT is a sports car, and it's just as good in town, in fact better, than any TT. I would say to your friend to save up, age a bit more and get one of those!!!

I feel every guilty as I went to Slovenia for a wedding, but my memories are all of blatting round the Julian Alps in the 911. It was an amazing experience....
Sorry - don't know where I got 20 from!

I'll go back to bed.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - barchettaman
.....One thought though, you being military, but in Europe there was a 150bhp front drive version that will have looked the same as the 180bhp. Do you know of anyone that ordered a RHD 150bhp FWD Audi TT living say in Germany on overseas duty... could save a packet and get a very nice car.....

I was just thinking that.
You might have to get an LHD though.
You´d save an absolute packet though - and could pass by at the Nurburgring driving it back from Germany.

As I said above AFAIAA you could get the 150 one here latterly.
To be honest, the 180 felt slow. It's a heavier car than you realise and you might be disappointed with anything less than a 225. That's assuming you've driven a 225 yet. If you haven't, don't!
The TT 150 Roadster was a RHD UK model

Thought so, thanks.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Micky
Hairdresser's car ;-)
Hairdresser's car ;-)

I have got sympathy with that view ...................
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Rumfitt
>> Hairdresser's car ;-)
>>
I have got sympathy with that view ...................

I'm sure LukeTT has spent many a happy hour browsing through the brilliant UK TTOC Forum at www.tt-forum.co.uk/.

When I first considered the TT and put my deposit down it was the car of the moment - a car that almost everyone admired. There were no really cheap ones around and the people interested in them reflected their relative affluence. The usual predominance of IT guys, but a genuinely enthusiastic lot with a great sense of community.

When I actually got my TT a year and a half later it was clear to see how the online TT community had completely changed. Many of the old hands had moved on to Porsches and BMWs, and there was a big increase of not particularly friendly or informed chat on the forum.

I've seen the same pattern on every car forum - as that model becomes more affordable the riff-raff are never far away! I count myself as riff-raff of course, as I could never really afford a pristine new example, and I did put cherished plates on mine to hide its age...

I often ponder on when the latest 'must have' car will come down to my level, even if I have to wait some time - my watch list includes the current Range Rover and Cayenne!

I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - yorkiebar
When you get older there is nothing worse than looking back and saying I wish I had ............

So if you want one, go for it; you can always sell it after!

But in my opinion its a well styled car, but a girly one!
I'm in a bit of a rush so I don't know if it's been said but if you get one, check the computer. There was a big thing with them all packing up and saying you had no fuel etc etc. It was on Watchdog and my mate's suffered the problem but apparently Audi will replace the dash pod. (they're 900 quid)
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - bell boy
(they're 900 quid)
..................>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
theres a site on the internet shows you the dry joint fault they develop and how to save 900 mucker
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Collos25
A member of the Armed forces you deserve it get it bought and I hope you have many miles of enjoyment,in fact if you get stationed in Germany you can give it some welly on the autobahn.
I love Audi TTs!/A fool and his money... - Martin Devon
6-10 year old merc 320 or above. Goes like stink and costs very little.....................but it ain't gone wrong yet.................Still, it's fun for now.

best regards....................MD